Happy Birthday, Barbara Baer Capitman

3rdGenCunarder

My pre-cruise stay is always South Beach. Whether I'm sailing out of Port Everglades or Miami, that's my favorite place to spend a few days. I love the deco architecture along Ocean Drive and the Mimo architecture of Lincoln Road. 

Today is the 100th birthday of Barbara Baer Captiman, one of the founders of the preservation movement. I find it ironic that on a day when the Miami Design Preservation League would be celebrating her birthday, their welcome center is closed and Ocean Drive is like a ghost town. 

I look forward to when I can go back and see the classic and the quirky that is South Beach, then get on a cruise ship!

News Cafe webcam: 

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/miami/?cam=miami

31 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Yes, she was a force for sure.

FWIW, News Cafe has been sold and is under new, not so great management.

Aha! That's why my breakfast there in Feb was a lot more expensive than I remember and not nearly as good. For years, News Cafe was our breakfast stop before leaving for a cruise. DH died 2 years ago, and this time I thought about going to the 11th Street diner instead. But no, I wanted to stick with the tradition. Service was terrible. Next time, I'll go to the diner. Or maybe Big Pink for those fantastic waffles. 

23 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Aha! That's why my breakfast there in Feb was a lot more expensive than I remember and not nearly as good. For years, News Cafe was our breakfast stop before leaving for a cruise. DH died 2 years ago, and this time I thought about going to the 11th Street diner instead. But no, I wanted to stick with the tradition. Service was terrible. Next time, I'll go to the diner. Or maybe Big Pink for those fantastic waffles. 

Yes, we ate there for years and while it wasn't cheap, the food was always excellent and reasonable for South Beach.

No longer. 

For old school South Beach there is still Joes Stone Crab, Club Deuce, Teds, and a few more.