Where to visit in the UK?

Eglesbrech

As a result of travel restrictions and perhaps issues with obtaining travel insurance for certain groups in the future, where should we go in the UK?

Do your bit for your local beauty spot or attraction. When we come out of lockdown, where are the hidden gems to visit in the four nations of the UK.

Most of you know round here, but I will list a few... 

New Forest, obs.. 

Salisbury.. 

Winchester.. 

Chichester.. West Wittering 

Arundel. 

Mainly quiant Town/Villages with an abundance of History and you are never too far from the coast. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

As a result of travel restrictions and perhaps issues with obtaining travel insurance for certain groups in the future, where should we go in the UK?

Do your bit for your local beauty spot or attraction. When we come out of lockdown, where are the hidden gems to visit in the four nations of the UK.

As we live in Chesterfield I would have to opt for the Peak district with its stunning views and landscape.Popular hotspots like Dovedale, Bakewell and Kinder Scout but also quieter villages like Beeley which is close to Chatsworth House.There are also lots of interesting Industrial sites and villages to visit.

In recent years we have been visiting 'new' for us places in the UK and some of our favourite places have been parts of Cornwall (and The Scilly Isles), the Northumbrian Coast (particularly Bamburgh and Lindisfarne), The Isle of Man and The Outer Hebrides.There are still more undiscovered beauty spots that we hope to visit and I hope that others may reveal a few so that we can start compiling a list.We may not have the temperatures that some foreign countries have but we certainly have some stunning scenery and interesting sights

• Like 2

We would like to visit Cornwall, but are put off by the travelling time. However we may do it with an overnight stop.

Love the Lake District. It ticks all the boxes for us and most important only 2 hours drive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, happy v said:

We would like to visit Cornwall, but are put off by the travelling time. However we may do it with an overnight stop.

Love the Lake District. It ticks all the boxes for us and most important only 2 hours drive.

You could always combine a visit to Cornwall with an overnight visit(or 2) to The Cotswolds, a lovely part of the world.Twice we have caught a direct train from Derbyshire to Cornwall (Penzance and Newquay) which took about 7 hours but was far more relaxing than driving.We also made use of the open top buses which are great for seeing the sights.When we stayed in Penzance we took the day ferry to the Isles of Scilly too.

There are some lovely villages and towns to explore in The Cotswolds if you wanted to have a break overnight.

Agree with you about The Lake District-beautiful

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We may not have the temperatures that some foreign countries have but we certainly have some stunning scenery and interesting sights

Yes and I think it's all too easy to take it all for granted. If you (re)read Bill Bryson's books about the UK he points out what is under our nose and how lucky we are...

In answer to the question, how about Liverpool? Some world class museums (Tate Liverpool, Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, and the Walker Art Gallery), architecture (Three Graces, Georgian Quarter, two Cathedrals, and the Philharmonic pub, now Grade 1 listed), history, sport, eating out and entertainment. The Mersey Tunnel tour is unmissable.

Get out of the city and take day trips to Formby for its red squirrels, Port Sunlight and Chester, or get some fresh air and walk the Wirral Way.

I grew up not far from there and met my parents when they took a UK cruise that included Liverpool. It was interesting reading the Cunard guide to my home town, and my parents said that all the passengers were raving (if a Cunard passenger can "rave") at what a fantastic day they'd had - for many it was the highlight of the cruise...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ann141 said:

You could always combine a visit to Cornwall with an overnight visit(or 2) to The Cotswolds, a lovely part of the world.Twice we have caught a direct train from Derbyshire to Cornwall (Penzance and Newquay) which took about 7 hours but was far more relaxing than driving.We also made use of the open top buses which are great for seeing the sights.When we stayed in Penzance we took the day ferry to the Isles of Scilly too.

There are some lovely villages and towns to explore in The Cotswolds if you wanted to have a break overnight.

Agree with you about The Lake District-beautiful

I wouldn't go on the train. We have thought about flying and hiring a car.

Hopefully I'll be on the round Britain cruise and like everyone else put this back on the to do list.😉

Yorkshire obs 😊 York & rail museum, Whitby & Magpie for fish & chips, North yorks moors & railway, Wensleysale Creamery, Castle Howard, Harewood House, Harrogate, Bettys loads of things to do and see. 👍🙂

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Spelling lol
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Yes and I think it's all too easy to take it all for granted. If you (re)read Bill Bryson's books about the UK he points out what is under our nose and how lucky we are...

In answer to the question, how about Liverpool? Some world class museums (Tate Liverpool, Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, and the Walker Art Gallery), architecture (Three Graces, Georgian Quarter, two Cathedrals, and the Philharmonic pub, now Grade 1 listed), history, sport, eating out and entertainment. The Mersey Tunnel tour is unmissable.

Get out of the city and take day trips to Formby for its red squirrels, Port Sunlight and Chester, or get some fresh air and walk the Wirral Way.

I grew up not far from there and met my parents when they took a UK cruise that included Liverpool. It was interesting reading the Cunard guide to my home town, and my parents said that all the passengers were raving (if a Cunard passenger can "rave") at what a fantastic day they'd had - for many it was the highlight of the cruise...

My Mum lives in Formby and I can certainly recommend a trip there to (hopefully) see the Red squirrels.The nature Reserve there is National Trust and leads down to a stunning beach lined with sand dunes.Also Anthony Gormleys 'Another Place' isn t too far away

24 minutes ago, moonstone01 said:

How about North Wales...gods country.  The grass is greener and the skies are bluer(sometimes).  Stunning scenery though.  Places worth a look at are LLangollen, LLandudno, Conwy and Port Meirion.

We have visited a few places in North Wales but Anglesey is on our 'To Do 'List

5 minutes ago, ann141 said:

My Mum lives in Formby and I can certainly recommend a trip there to (hopefully) see the Red squirrels.The nature Reserve there is National Trust and leads down to a stunning beach lined with sand dunes.Also Anthony Gormleys 'Another Place' isn t too far away

Yes at a push you could probably do Crosby, Formby and Southport in a day. The first time I took my partner to Southport she was appalled that you could walk to the end of the pier and still not see the sea...

58 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Yes at a push you could probably do Crosby, Formby and Southport in a day. The first time I took my partner to Southport she was appalled that you could walk to the end of the pier and still not see the sea...

We moved to Southport from rural Essex when I was  in my mid teens and I was amazed that at least you could see the sea from  a distance.Previously it had taken a day trip (40 miles!) to visit the seaside!

Durham Cathedral, Luminere,  Beamish Museum, Tanfield Railway and Causey Arch, Penshaw Monument, Seaham sea front with Tommy statute and George Elmy Lifeboat (at the small Marina), Hartlepool Maritime Museum and Marina. 

I will leave the Sunderland ones for Graham.

I would like to to and see Royal Britannia and the National Arboretum

• Like 2

Did nobody mention the Isle of Wight yet?  I went there for a short break last year, the first time I've ever visited it, and loved it !  Yes it's small but it has a lovely 'feel' to it and there's enough to see and do.

Other things on my wishlist (which probably won't ever happen as rail travel is so expensive in this country) include re-creating a school trip I did as a teen (York, Hexham, Hadrian's Wall, Lindisfarne etc); going back to see Devon and Cornwall (and a big +1 for Eden Project, would love to revisit that), and a trip to some of the Scottish Isles, maybe Skye or the Orkney Isles

Edit to add: I was born in Hull (was brought up in the Midlands and now live in the South East) - did one trip to Hull when I was a teen so I could see where I was born [although most of the old geography had been demolished by then 😞 ].  Would love to go back one day to see it all again

Edited by Tacu
Adding more

14 minutes ago, Tacu said:

Did nobody mention the Isle of Wight yet?  I went there for a short break last year, the first time I've ever visited it, and loved it !  Yes it's small but it has a lovely 'feel' to it and there's enough to see and do.

Other things on my wishlist (which probably won't ever happen as rail travel is so expensive in this country) include re-creating a school trip I did as a teen (York, Hexham, Hadrian's Wall, Lindisfarne etc); going back to see Devon and Cornwall (and a big +1 for Eden Project, would love to revisit that), and a trip to some of the Scottish Isles, maybe Skye or the Orkney Isles

Edit to add: I was born in Hull (was brought up in the Midlands and now live in the South East) - did one trip to Hull when I was a teen so I could see where I was born [although most of the old geography had been demolished by then 😞 ].  Would love to go back one day to see it all again

I agree that the Isle of Wight is lovely.My parents in law lived there for a few years and we met some friends on a cruise who live there .When we disembarked from a cruise last year we caught the Red funnel ferry across the water, met our friends who took us on a tour round the island and showed us the lovely village where they lived.

I love going back to places that I have previously lived in (Most of them have completely changed!)I was born near Heathrow (Hayes) but haven t been back there but have managed to visit most of the others.Like you I have lived in the South, the Midlands and The North but there are still lots of places in the UK that I would like to explore.

Well I'm going to be the cheerleader for Dorset: areas of outstanding natural beauty in the Purbecks, Jurassic coast, beautiful beaches, Abbotsbury, Monkey World, tanks, I could go on.

Also put in a word for Northern Ireland. Since our daughter has been at University in Belfast we have been managing to explore Northern Ireland a little and the countryside is so beautiful, we have spent some time in Fermanagh and Antrim so far and hoping to explore the Mourne mountains when we take her back in September.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

Well I'm going to be the cheerleader for Dorset: areas of outstanding natural beauty in the Purbecks, Jurassic coast, beautiful beaches, Abbotsbury, Monkey World, tanks, I could go on.

And the scuba diving out of Weymouth and Portland...

26 minutes ago, rachiem said:

We live in Sussex and have been to most of the above except Cornwall.

Has anyone got any suggestions for that area?

We love walking and sightseeing etc

All of it... 

It is just a stunning county. 

Polperro, Boscastle, Tintagel are all very pretty. 

Penzance, St Ives, beautiful plus lots of little fishing villages. 

I personally would only really avoid Newquay, still very pretty coastline but a bit lively for me. 

Stick to the coast and tour, that's what we are planning. 

And, of course, you will get a proper pastie... 

Andy 

Its my dream to travel to UK. I want to live in the country, feel its vibes, its people, its culture. I want to take a car and drive all the way to Edingborugh (hope I spelled it right). United Kingdom is a cradle of western civilization. Last time I was visitng Germany I had a wish to go to London but unfortunatly my wife wanted beaches and sun so we went to Italy. It was a nice trip also but England must be a totally different experience

• Like 2