Noordam Transpacific Vancouver to Tokyo

Floridastorm

Well, another thing that is evolving is different countries response to cruise ships dropping off passengers in their ports.  I notice that HAL is advertising this cruise and the following one on their website.  I saw that Canada plans to open its Vancouver port on 1 July.  I tried to find out the status of Japanese ports and dates for opening, but wasn't successful.  Right now I couldn't drive to Canada from Washington without a good reason and then would be expected to quarantine for two weeks.  So I think I will wait til at least August before I would consider putting some money down on this cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I saw that Canada plans to open its Vancouver port on 1 July. 

Where did you see this please?  I have heard nothing about any port in Canada opening on July 1st.?  

All our ports were ordered closed until July 1st by the Federal Government.  They will not necessary open on that date.  The date can be extended just as  our border closing was.  If it is lifted by the Federal Government it will still be up to each province and the port cities to decide if they feel it is safe for their citizens‘ health to re-open them.  

I think you are wise to wait until August to see how things have developed.  We are at the very beginning phases of re-opening and proceeding very cautiously.  It is far too early to assume what will transpire on July 1st IMO.

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Where did you see this please?  I have heard nothing about any port in Canada opening on July 1st.?  

All our ports were ordered closed until July 1st by the Federal Government.  They will not necessary open on that date.  The date can be extended just as  our border closing was.  If it is lifted by the Federal Government it will still be up to each province and the port cities to decide if they feel it is safe for their citizens‘ health to re-open them.  

I think you are wise to wait until August to see how things have developed.  We are at the very beginning phases of re-opening and proceeding very cautiously.  It is far too early to assume what will transpire on July 1st IMO.

I guess you are right.  I am an optimist.  I went to the Canada Place Cruise Terminal website and read that it was closed until July 1st.  So I assumed that if it is closed to July 1st, it must plan to open on or after that date.  I also read that the border was closed til June 21st, so putting the two together...

44 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I guess you are right.  I am an optimist.  I went to the Canada Place Cruise Terminal website and read that it was closed until July 1st.  So I assumed that if it is closed to July 1st, it must plan to open on or after that date.  I also read that the border was closed til June 21st, so putting the two together...

I don’t know if we will see the ports re-open on July 1st or if the closure will be extended.  I have no crystal ball, sadly.

The border was originally closed until May 21st - it was extended until June 21st because of the infection rate in the U.S. and it may well be extended again or, there may be a requirement of testing and quarantine according to the news reports I am hearing here. 

Only time will tell.

14 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

From the sound of it here, BC and Alberta will want the border closed until much better numbers are coming out of the US. This is ultimately up to the Feds, however.

I heard some of the Alberta premier's news conference and Alberta is instituting stricter requirements for anyone arriving internationally.  I presume that would include from the US.  I missed most of it (tuning out politicians is in my genes 😉 ) but there will more tightly controlled quarantines is the gist I got from it. 

• Like 1

Ok for all those considering going on this cruise, my TA spoke with HAL this morning and they advised him the cruise has not been cancelled. They contacted him weeks ago stating it was cancelled. So, I contacted him yesterday after checking on refund of prepaid items being refunded. In checking with HAL, they advised me the cruise was not cancelled. 

Crazy, a couple of weeks ago they advised him it was cancelled. Looks like that was an error. Waiting to research and book tours until at least June.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, PattiHawaii said:

Ok for all those considering going on this cruise, my TA spoke with HAL this morning and they advised him the cruise has not been cancelled. They contacted him weeks ago stating it was cancelled. So, I contacted him yesterday after checking on refund of prepaid items being refunded. In checking with HAL, they advised me the cruise was not cancelled. 

Crazy, a couple of weeks ago they advised him it was cancelled. Looks like that was an error. Waiting to research and book tours until at least June.

In case you and @Floridastorm are not on the roll call, as I suspected, the cruise has been cancelled.

From HAL’s FB page:

UPDATE: Holland America Line Extends its Pause of Cruise Operations to Fall Vancouver Departures and Early 2021 Hawaii Itineraries

Cancelled cruises include Panama Canal, Hawaii, Pacific Coastal and South America

Seattle, Wash., June 11, 2020 (1:10 p.m. PDT) — With travel and port restrictions continuing for the near future due to global health concerns, Holland America Line is extending its pause of cruise operations and cancelling additional departures from the port of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, in 2020, as well as select Hawaii itineraries for early 2021.

The following cruises are affected:

Eurodam:

·  Sept. 26, 2020, 22-day Panama Canal cruise from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Koningsdam:

·  Sept. 26, 2020, seven-day Pacific Northwest cruise from Vancouver to San Diego, California.

·  Jan. 16 and Feb. 2, 2021, Circle Hawaii Voyages roundtrip from San Diego.

Maasdam:

·  Sept. 21, 2020, 16-day Mexico and Sea of Cortez itinerary from Vancouver to San Diego.

Noordam:

·  Sept. 27, 2020, 14-day North Pacific Crossing from Vancouver to Yokohama, Japan.

Volendam:

·  Sept. 30, Oct. 3 and Oct. 10, 2020, three- and seven-day Pacific Northwest and coastal cruises from Vancouver.

Westerdam:

·  Sept. 20, 2020, 17-day Circle Hawaii cruise roundtrip from Vancouver.

·  Oct. 7, 2020, 23-day Inca Discovery voyage from Vancouver to San Antonio (Santiago), Chile.

All shorter segments within the above cruise departures are cancelled. Collectors’ Voyages that combine back-to-back cruises including the above departure dates are also cancelled.

Guests Automatically Receive Future Cruise Credit

Those with impacted cruises automatically will be cancelled, and no action is needed for guests opting for the Future Cruise Credit (FCC). All guests will receive an FCC per person as follows:

·  Paid in Full: Those who had paid in full will receive 125% FCC of the base cruise fare paid to Holland America Line.

·  Not Paid in Full: Those with bookings not paid in full will receive an FCC of double the amount of the deposit paid for the cruise. The minimum FCC is $100 and the maximum will be an amount up to the base cruise fare paid.

The FCC is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and may be used to book sailings departing through Dec. 31, 2022. All other funds paid to Holland America Line may be transferred to a new booking or will automatically be refunded via the method of payment used to purchase the services.

Full Refund Option Also Available

Guests who prefer a 100% refund of monies paid to Holland America Line can visit the Cancellation Preferences form to indicate this preference no later than July 15, 2020.

The above options are not applicable to guests booked on a charter sailing. Other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply if the cruise was not booked through Holland America Line. See the terms and conditions in the Cancellation Preferences form for all details.

Recognizing the vital role travel advisors play in the success of the cruise industry, Holland America Line will protect travel advisor commissions on bookings for cancelled cruises that were paid in full and for the total amount of the FCC when rebooked.

As previously announced, Holland America Line extended its pause of global cruise operations and cancelled all Alaska, Europe and Canada/New England cruises for 2020. In addition, Amsterdam will not operate the 79-day Grand Africa Voyage.

Thanks, Jacqui.   I don't do facebook, but it looks like HAL does.  If you go to their website and look at available cruises, all the cruises leaving from Vancouver in September are highly advertised as available for booking now.  I am disappointed that a company as large as Holland America Line either: 1.  Doesn't care enough to keep their webpage updated, or 2.  Keeps advertising unavailable cruises so they can take in cash deposits and refund FCCs some time in the future.  Either way, it is disappointing.

25 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks, Jacqui.   I don't do facebook, but it looks like HAL does.  If you go to their website and look at available cruises, all the cruises leaving from Vancouver in September are highly advertised as available for booking now.  I am disappointed that a company as large as Holland America Line either: 1.  Doesn't care enough to keep their webpage updated, or 2.  Keeps advertising unavailable cruises so they can take in cash deposits and refund FCCs some time in the future.  Either way, it is disappointing.

just showed up on HAL website under travel advisories.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Jan. 16 and Feb. 2, 2021, Circle Hawaii Voyages roundtrip from San Diego.

We have a different situation.  We're booked on the Koningsdam January 9 for the Mexican Riviera and Circle Hawaii (which starts the 16th).  Now I'm left wondering will that first week still go....we have not gotten an email yet from HAL. 

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We have a different situation.  We're booked on the Koningsdam January 9 for the Mexican Riviera and Circle Hawaii (which starts the 16th).  Now I'm left wondering will that first week still go....we have not gotten an email yet from HAL. 

Is it booked as a Collectors’ cruise or a B2B?

According to the post on FB if it’s a collectors’ cruise, it’s cancelled.

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Is it booked as a Collectors’ cruise or a B2B?

According to the post on FB if it’s a collectors’ cruise, it’s cancelled.

Ah, thanks. I hadn't seen that.  Yes, it's a Collectors' cruise.  Strange that we haven't gotten word from HAL but those who board the 16th have.  We did get an email today that our September Pacific Coastal has been cancelled, that was expected.  

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Ah, thanks. I hadn't seen that.  Yes, it's a Collectors' cruise.  Strange that we haven't gotten word from HAL but those who board the 16th have.  We did get an email today that our September Pacific Coastal has been cancelled, that was expected.  

So sorry, Carolyn.  We had serous plans for joining this cruise!  Back to the drawing board for both of us!