Jump to content

I'm beginning to think cruises might resume much sooner than I expected.


mianmike
 Share

Recommended Posts

You know, I find it incredible.

I was just looking at horrific pictures of mass graves in New York with coffins 3 deep, something I never imagined would ever be seen in the west again.

Then I flip to Cruise Critic and see these threads about May sailings 😵

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

You know, I find it incredible.

I was just looking at horrific pictures of mass graves in New York with coffins 3 deep, something I never imagined would ever be seen in the west again.

Then I flip to Cruise Critic and see these threads about May sailings 😵

Coronavirus 'harms the brain and nervous system of HALF of severely ill patients and a third of all cases' — causing symptoms such as stumbling, slurred speech and seizures.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8208417/In-half-severe-cases-COVID-19-affect-brain-nervous-too.html

 

I'm starting to think it isn't just the flu. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I think what the poster is saying is this whole this is so crazy and unbelievable, it wouldn't surprise them if everyone ends up having a unicorn.

Like my adult daughter told me this week, this is just nuts that she's just waiting for the Zombies to arrive to top it all off.

 

 

Thanks for the interpretation.  We have a lot of expressions here in the south...none involving unicorns, so I was stumped.  Now Zombies, I understand!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't worry about cruises to nowhere once the all clear is given to sail again.  Every island and port of call will be begging for ships to stop there.  Just look at how the US economy is doing right now.  A lot of these ports are almost dependent on tourism or else they cannot survive.  Safe or not they will be allowing ships to dock.  Sure some ports have refused a ship to dock here and there but once the starting gun is fired here in the US to leave they will be welcoming ships with open arms.  This may be sad but so very true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thanks for the interpretation.  We have a lot of expressions here in the south...none involving unicorns, so I was stumped.  Now Zombies, I understand!

 

 

Well, Bless Your Heart.  That's one I learned quickly when I was stationed in Mississippi.  lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good grief people!  NY/NJ are releasing prisoners (non-violent, so they say) in order to be humane to prisoners!  Huh?? Release the hounds!


Nursing homes/ALF residents have died in numbers which is quite disturbing and quite the talk around here...


MCT will NOT open anytime soon (nor Bayonne). 


Use common sense and channel your energy into more important things at this time.


JMO and be safe!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

Don't worry about cruises to nowhere once the all clear is given to sail again.  Every island and port of call will be begging for ships to stop there.  Just look at how the US economy is doing right now.  A lot of these ports are almost dependent on tourism or else they cannot survive.  Safe or not they will be allowing ships to dock.  Sure some ports have refused a ship to dock here and there but once the starting gun is fired here in the US to leave they will be welcoming ships with open arms.  This may be sad but so very true. 

Or a lot of the island ports are realizing just how little of the money actual stays there, with a lot of the shops in port owned by non-residents (especially the specially built port villages).  They might find they like it without ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

Coronavirus 'harms the brain and nervous system of HALF of severely ill patients and a third of all cases' — causing symptoms such as stumbling, slurred speech and seizures.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8208417/In-half-severe-cases-COVID-19-affect-brain-nervous-too.html

 

I'm starting to think it isn't just the flu. 

This news broke 20 days ago.

 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-superhuman-mind/202003/what-does-coronavirus-do-the-brain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, pokerpro5 said:

Lots of delusional people in this thread.

 

Regardless of the protocols utilized, viruses spread quickly on cruise ships.  There's no way around that.

 

For cruise ships to sail again, at the very minimum, there needs to be a certainty that every single passenger onboard either has already caught COVID-19 sometime in the past (and is over it), or currently does not have COVID-19.

 

This can only be done via reliable antibody testing (which we don't have yet) and reliable testing (which we don't have yet either -- there's a 30% false negative rate!)

 

Testing for fevers or whatever isn't going to cut it, because it is known for certain that many COVID-19 carriers are asymptomatic or temporarily asymptomatic.

 

All it would take would be ONE cruiser to board with transmissible COVID-19, and it would spread like wildfire.

 

When life gets back to normal, it will be in phases:

 

Phase 1:  Return to visiting with non-vulnerable friends and family

Phase 2:  Return to non-essential businesses, sporting events with no audience

Phase 3:  Return to restaurants and small gatherings

Phase 4:  Return to National Parks, hiking areas, and medium-sized (less than 250 people) gatherings

Phase 5:  Return to sporting events with an audience

Phase 6:  Return to large gatherings (251-1000 people)

Phase 7:  Return to huge events/gatherings (1001+) and cruise ships

 

Phase 7 is a long way away.  Believing US-based ships will sail in May or June is pure delusion.

you can spread it on a poker table through chips.   there will be no phases as the govt does not run the cruises industry. they will start back up as long as the ports are open. and carnival laid out the plan on how they will do it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

you can spread it on a poker table through chips.   there will be no phases as the govt does not run the cruises industry. they will start back up as long as the ports are open. and carnival laid out the plan on how they will do it. 

 

Unless this is no longer a public health emergency by the time Carnival wants to send their first 'social distancing' ships out, it's not happening.  US ports are closed to cruise ships for 100 days or until this is no longer a public health emergency, or until cruise ships come up with a plan to handle corona that includes testing, hospital-like medical facilities (which include ventilators, PPE & doctors sufficiently trained in infectious disease protocol), and agreements with commercial carriers and hospitals to take any patients they may have to transfer before the ships even set said.  No USCG evacuations, and chartered flights to get non-affected passengers home.

 

It's unlikely Carnival is going to have any ships sailing in May or June, but more power to them if they do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

you can spread it on a poker table through chips.   there will be no phases as the govt does not run the cruises industry. they will start back up as long as the ports are open. and carnival laid out the plan on how they will do it. 

It's not in Carnival's court. It's in the hands of the CDC and Carnival and all other lines accepting the recommendations. Check the recent threads out, they are interesting and shedding a little light on when operation will commence.

 

In this case the CDC/ government are in conjunction and it will be in the cruise lines best interests to adhere to the CDC recommendations 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

you can spread it on a poker table through chips.   there will be no phases as the govt does not run the cruises industry. they will start back up as long as the ports are open. and carnival laid out the plan on how they will do it. 

And the CDC responded by stating that no cruise operations can take place with the approval of the USCG with consultation with HHS CDC personnel.  So basically for the next 100 days the government does control cruise line ships in the US.. They cannot even go out to dump gray water without USCG approval, let alone try and board passengers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

Coronavirus 'harms the brain and nervous system of HALF of severely ill patients and a third of all cases' — causing symptoms such as stumbling, slurred speech and seizures.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8208417/In-half-severe-cases-COVID-19-affect-brain-nervous-too.html

 

I'm starting to think it isn't just the flu. 

So does a decent drinks package taken to extremes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

of course they will commence sooner than many think, the avg person thinks they will wait till every case is gone or 2021.  no they won't.  if the ports are open they will go , they will start slow ,only in certain ports, and limited cruises and capacity. and some safety measures,. but they will commence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, new salt said:

At what point do cruise lines or their trustees in bankruptcy, decide that it makes no sense to relocate to the Mediterranean for a reduced season and the summer/autumn season is cancelled?

depend upon the major cruise line holding company. I suspect by November at least one will bite the dust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, seaman11 said:

of course they will commence sooner than many think, the avg person thinks they will wait till every case is gone or 2021.  no they won't.  if the ports are open they will go , they will start slow ,only in certain ports, and limited cruises and capacity. and some safety measures,. but they will commence. 

They will certainly wait until CDC says that they can sail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, npcl said:

They will certainly wait until CDC says that they can sail.

they can not give permission to them. you didnt read the order properly. they can have the ports closed , and refuse an infected ship, that is true.  but they do not need permission from the cdc to commence operations.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

they can not give permission to them. you didnt read the order properly. they can have the ports closed , and refuse an infected ship, that is true.  but they do not need permission from the cdc to commence operations.  

Let's put it this way any cruise lines sails and any number of pax get sick while this virus is still going on the CDC CAN tell them they can't dock in US ports.

This isn't as easy and cut and dried as it seems.

 

There will have to be some sort of agreement between CDC and cruise lines before ships go anywhere.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, beerman2 said:

Let's put it this way any cruise lines sails and any number of pax get sick while this virus is still going on the CDC CAN tell them they can't dock in US ports.

This isn't as easy and cut and dried as it seems.

 

There will have to be some sort of agreement between CDC and cruise lines before ships go anywhere.

 

 

well i agree with that,  im only saying that they did not ban all cruises for 100 days, because they simply cant do it.  if carnival decides to run cruises out of Dominican repubilic  ,they are free to do so . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

they can not give permission to them. you didnt read the order properly. they can have the ports closed , and refuse an infected ship, that is true.  but they do not need permission from the cdc to commence operations.  

The post were referring to operations around the US. They need the USCG in consultation with HHS CDC personnel for ANY ship operations in or near the US, that means what it says they cannot move a ship, the cannot bring a ship into port, they cannot embark or disembark anyone.  They cannot even pick up supplies or go outside the limit to dump gray water with out the USCG permission.

 

But then again I think that you also know this, but are just tolling folks with your posts.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

they can not give permission to them. you didnt read the order properly. they can have the ports closed , and refuse an infected ship, that is true.  but they do not need permission from the cdc to commence operations.  

In or around the US they do.

 

The passengers also have to be able to get to/from where ever they are trying to operate.  Thus if they were to try operating from some island, just see how long flights continue going there from the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

The post were referring to operations around the US. They need the USCG in consultation with HHS CDC personnel for ANY ship operations in or near the US, that means what it says they cannot move a ship, the cannot bring a ship into port, they cannot embark or disembark anyone.  They cannot even pick up supplies or go outside the limit to dump gray water with out the USCG permission.

 

But then again I think that you also know this, but are just tolling folks with your posts.

you missed this reguarding us cruises.  

 

  • (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services' declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency;
  • (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...