No Sail Order extended - 100 days

Pushka

13 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Has there been any updates from the CDC since the July 24th extension? You would think there would be some new information as it’s been over a month now. 

There are many of us who have cruises booked later in the year that would like to know if they are going or not and what the “new” onboard rules will be. 

Over a month, yes, but still almost two full months to go. I'm sure that the CDC has enough on its plate without having to prepare monthly updates. CLIA and its members are sure to be in ongoing discussions with the CDC.

2 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Has there been any updates from the CDC since the July 24th extension? You would think there would be some new information as it’s been over a month now. 

There are many of us who have cruises booked later in the year that would like to know if they are going or not and what the “new” onboard rules will be. 

In short, no.

I’m afraid cruise ships are way down the priority list for the CDC and there is so much that is changing so fast about this virus and the CDC recommendations. For example, we just got tentative guidance from CDC about when healthcare workers can go back to work after a positive test. That came through about 2 weeks ago, but was based on internal CDC studies with no supporting corroboration- confirming data came this week. I’m talking basic info like we have a nurse who had mild to moderate symptoms almost 4 weeks ago, has felt well for over 2 weeks, but still tests positive - can s/he come back to work?

Information about how best to measure infectivity is going to explode this summer, but it will take time to correlate and assimilate this data and turn it into recommendations. I think the CDC is going to require some sort of testing of passengers and crew, and in order for the safety measures to be financially workable for the cruise lines and “vacationally” bearable for the passengers, we will have to understand what those test results truly mean. I don’t see any “new onboard rules” before October at the earliest, and on,y the most limited cruising before 2021.

• Like 1

There will be rules and procedures coming.  Cruising will be less enjoyable at least initially.  That is the bottom line of what to expect.

From my standpoint, above all else before I cruise again, I want to be assured by CDC or any port or country that I visit on a cruise that procedures are in place to handle any cruise ship that has a few cases or even an outbreak on board.  This is extremely likely to occur on some ships no matter what screening procedures are implemented. I do not want to be stranded off shore in a political fiasco.  I want to know exactly what happens when cases are found on board.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There will be rules and procedures coming.  Cruising will be less enjoyable at least initially.  That is the bottom line of what to expect.

From my standpoint, above all else before I cruise again, I want to be assured by CDC or any port or country that I visit on a cruise that procedures are in place to handle any cruise ship that has a few cases or even an outbreak on board.  This is extremely likely to occur on some ships no matter what screening procedures are implemented. I do not want to be stranded off shore in a political fiasco.  I want to know exactly what happens when cases are found on board.

right, and I want to know if we have to be quarantined x 2 wks (or however long) once we do disembark.  Ugh.

25 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re just curious once a vaccine is available in mass quantities to the public if it will be a mandatory requirement to have proof you have received it before being allowed to board the ship. Hope so. 

As do I. There will be resistance in some quarters, but just as certain vaccinations are a pre-requisite for entering some countries, I'd like to see it become a requirement for boarding a cruise ship, passengers and crew alike.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re just curious once a vaccine is available in mass quantities to the public if it will be a mandatory requirement to have proof you have received it before being allowed to board the ship. Hope so. 

I have been wondering the same thing.  Also, how to prove it is yours.  I am thinking that, say we get the vaccine.  Do you think they will take the extra time to put something in place to provide proof for each individual?  They should be planning that right now. Seems our response to things is reactionary rather than proactive.

5 minutes ago, VickyMcG said:

I have been wondering the same thing.  Also, how to prove it is yours.  I am thinking that, say we get the vaccine.  Do you think they will take the extra time to put something in place to provide proof for each individual?  They should be planning that right now. Seems our response to things is reactionary rather than proactive.

The International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis is readily available in most countries. Should there become a requirement for proof of vaccination for COVID-19, I imagine that the Certificate would meet the requirement.

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis is readily available in most countries. Should there become a requirement for proof of vaccination for COVID-19, I imagine that the Certificate would meet the requirement.

hmm, that sounds good, but I just don't see us getting our act together in that regard when we are just starting up with vaccinations.  I guess I've seen so much mismanagement.  I really hope you're right.  We are in the US, you understand.  No insult to our countrymen intended, just my opinion.

Edited by VickyMcG
  • Like 1

I'm sure the manufacturors are already gearing up and will be all hands on deck when it's time start filling those vials. We're figuring when it's finally made available to the public, as we're both retired military, we'll just go to the nearby base and get the vaccine. If they don't have it and our nearby pharmacy does, we'll get it there. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I am optimistic for our August 9th cruise on the Equinox, however I do expect the overall experience to be different from the norm: and I think that will be a good thing as to the extent it protects the passengers. There is lots of availability for the cruise no doubt it will sail half empty if it does in fact go. We certainly paid market price, they're not dumping fares.

While we all need a cruise right about now, even if it is canceled we will reschedule for the future. 

Edited by pumpkin 11

We already have the vaccination certificates in our passports.   Typhoid and Yellow Fever have been required for certain destinations for many years.   I hope the anti vaccination folks won’t try to cruise and mess up the cruise world.  Once there is a vaccine it would be irresponsible to cruise.

• Like 2

Not any easy issue here.  The COVID vaccine proof might be required to board a cruise ship.  That will be unprecedented but highly possible.  The influenza vaccine has not been required to date.  Most travel vaccines have only been recommended (by CDC and other health authorities) but not actually required to visit regions of certain countries.  So vaccination is needed for some ports and excursions but not for the ship itself.   However the Yellow Fever vaccine is actually required by certain countries in Africa and South America to visit certain high risk areas.  So COVID would be the first case of a vaccine as a requirement to board.  Perhaps for a couple of years anyway.  Then vaccine- and natural-herd immunity would hopefully take hold at the required level  in the general population.  It is important to keep in mind that any COVID vaccine will not be 100% effective and will not be a choice of a good percentage of the population even if effective and available.  If we had a norovirus vaccine today that was highly effective would it be required to board?  Would most of us get it?

We don’t even have a vaccine yet so it seems premature to say it should be required. Certainly cruise lines or foreign ports could require vaccination when a vaccine exists. It is a possibility but only time will tell. Personally I will get vaccinated but I don’t know that every one would have to be vaccinated to make it safe to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not any easy issue here.  The COVID vaccine proof might be required to board a cruise ship.  That will be unprecedented but highly possible.  The influenza vaccine has not been required to date.  Most travel vaccines have only been recommended (by CDC and other health authorities) but not actually required to visit regions of certain countries.  So vaccination is needed for some ports and excursions but not for the ship itself.   However the Yellow Fever vaccine is actually required by certain countries in Africa and South America to visit certain high risk areas.  So COVID would be the first case of a vaccine as a requirement to board.  Perhaps for a couple of years anyway.  Then vaccine- and natural-herd immunity would hopefully take hold at the required level  in the general population.  It is important to keep in mind that any COVID vaccine will not be 100% effective and will not be a choice of a good percentage of the population even if effective and available.  If we had a norovirus vaccine today that was highly effective would it be required to board?  Would most of us get it?

This is the reason the vaccine will not be required, imo.

Too many variables, including different strains of the virus. And there is no evidence that even if you actually contract the virus that you will develop an immunity to keep you from being reinfected.

Edited by C-Dragons

An interesting article I read today said that in a recent poll only about 50% of people in the US would get the vaccine for Covid-19 once it becomes available.  Older Americans were much likelier to get it.  Here is the link:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-half-americans-would-get/

I think it’s highly unlikely cruise lines would demand everyone has the vaccine shot to board. I may be wrong but I’m not aware any such requirement has ever been in place for any other vaccine in the past. The stats highlighted in the article above pretty much rule the cruise lines out from ever making it mandatory, way to high a percentage who won’t get the shot.

Edited by yorky

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I think it’s highly unlikely cruise lines would demand everyone has the vaccine shot to board. I may be wrong but I’m not aware any such requirement has ever been in place for any other vaccine in the past. The stats highlighted in the article above pretty much rule the cruise lines out from ever making it mandatory, way to high a percentage who won’t get the shot.

Yet there's never been any other virus that shuts down cruising in the past.

That alone nullifies your argument above.

2 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

The flu vaccine usually only 25 to 65% effective on any given year. Decent odds but not great odds.

True, it is not 100% effective.  But at the same time, many vaccines are (or at least near 100% - polio, measles, etc.).  Even for the flu, if it does not prevent it entirely if you do catch it you are much more likely to have a much milder case than had you not gotten the vaccine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Yet there's never been any other virus that shuts down cruising in the past.

That alone nullifies your argument above.

I think you could be correct.  They may require a vaccine, or reliable proof of antibodies should they determine that antibodies will prevent another occurrence.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Here is a recent survey about who would actually sign up for a COVID vaccine in the US if available.  49%

http://www.apnorc.org/projects/Pages/Expectations-for-a-COVID-19-Vaccine.aspx

I just can't believe people would be that reluctant to get a vaccine for a virus that kills so virulently, and makes so many deathly sick even if they do survive!  I know those are the numbers but it amazes me.  Some say they are worried about its safety due to the rapid development.  Not only do the scientists deny that should be a concern, but speaking for myself I would rather risk that than risk getting the virus.  Then there are a percentage who think the virus is not that serious.  Say what?!?!?  On what planet do these morons live???  And then there are those who think they could catch the virus from the vaccination.  OMG will people ever wise up about that?  I wouldn't want those people sailing with me anyway!

• Like 3