Noordam destination San Diego CA eta 4/24
Maasdam destination Pichlingui MX eta 4/8

Durban South Africa
Amsterdam

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the daily report, Rich 🙂 

Blessed Good Friday to all whether you have flowers blooming or are buried in a new snow storm like us.

Avocado I have, turkey I don’t.  I’ll have to get creative 😉

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Love the Quote.  Amsterdam has left Durban and is apparently reversing course to drop Filipino and Indonesian crew at home before heading to the US to unload passenger luggage.

Roy

Could you give me a reference for the stops in Indonesia and the Phillipines. Marine traffic shows a destination of Fort Lauderdale and an arrival of 5/12

Thank you for today’s report, Rich! I see that the Rotterdam snuck out of port this morning - sometime around 5 a.m. I was not awake, so I am going by what was scheduled.

I am going to improvise on your meal suggestion & use guacamole (medium-hot) with sliced turkey for lunch. I am cooking scallops tonight.

Have a blessed Good Friday to those who observe it.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Could you give me a reference for the stops in Indonesia and the Phillipines. Marine traffic shows a destination of Fort Lauderdale and an arrival of 5/12

Not an official announcement but it's been discussed on the "Any news on the Amsterdam" thread and by marine traffic she is headed northeast towards the southern tip of Madagascar which is consistent with that plan.  For Fort Lauderdale she would be heading south along the South Africa coast.

Roy

13 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Rich

this just popped into my mailbox. At the end of the entry is the destination.

New post on Captain, who's driving?

blavatar.png
70f70163138a66d0547995c07111f776?s=50&d=

10th April

by Jonathan

Well, Durban is astern of us and we now have a  50 knott wind across our decks, a 10 feet swell on our bow, add the Agulhas current and we're almost going astern, but heavens, it's good to be back at sea.

9th April, Durban, 'parked' on a berth with Police and Port Health surrounding us, no-one on and, once we had disembarked our 5 South African crew, no gangway either, a far cry from what this lovely lady is used to.  We came to take fuel, stores and provisions, all accomplished, however not without some difficulty.  Originally, we had approximately 10 container-loads to put on board; what on earth are we going to do with all that?  Take 3 instead is what transpired.  Being the 'leper' that we are, everything loaded had to stay on board and we, being who we are, weren't going to to try and touch anything that came on, for at least 14 days.

Everything, literally everything was sanitised, big sprayers and foggers going at it and then onto pallet jacks and into store rooms and chilled/freezer rooms for 14-days.  3 of the crew volunteered for this and as a result are now in 14-day quarantine, bless them.  No photos of this of course, minimum personnel and everyone else stay the hell out of it.

The pilot (compulsory, although we could have gone in there with our hands tied behind our backs), didn't even have gloves or face mask on, a good start to the proceedings.  The one who (compulsory) took us out did though, however, at my suggestion, left after we had got off the dock!

IMG_4922_f_improf_320x240.jpg Don't we look 'cool' 🙂

Then there was communication ashore to deal with, we usually do this with radios of course, however no-one ashore wanted one of our radios, so comms between the ship was conducted on WhatsApp between myself and the agent, not a good idea I can tell you, pesky phone going 'ding' at all times of day and night 😕

A few photos before I tell you where we are going, (got to let you wait awhile longer)  🙂

2020-04-10_0001.jpg Entering through the Breakwaters

2020-04-10_0002.jpg The City itself

2020-04-10_0005.jpg We are going to the berth on the end of the jetty

2020-04-10_0007.jpg The harbour is incredibly dirty

2020-04-10_0008_f_improf_1038x694.jpg Today and the sun is out

b06a74d9-c74d-4690-b74c-676a9cf3d66c_f_i Karen was up early for the sunrise

2020-04-10_0009.jpg The pilot leaves us

So, back to where we are heading; numerous emails (and WhatsApp), back and forth, however 2 hours before we got out of Dodge, the question was answered,  Batam, Indonesia.  It's on the Malacca Straits, south of Singapore and we are going to try to disembark our (wonderful) crew, get them home to their families, albeit they will have to quarantine before they do so.  I told them over the PA and you could hear the cries of joy from the Bridge.

Every port or anchorage we go to requires a 14-day isolation period before arrival and so it will take us 16 days to get there.  (We could do it faster, however it's all about $$$, save fuel, save $$, so we are our minimum of 2 diesel generators and thus the 16 days, April 24th).

I know many of my readers have luggage on board and you're probably wondering when you'll see it.  It certainly hasn't been forgotten by the powers that be and various options are being discussed, so don't concern yourself at the moment, please.

I will write again as we progress east, it's a long haul...........

Stay Safe and Healthy. please.......

Jonathan | 11 April 2020 at 12:46 am | Categories: Repositioning, World Cruise 2020 | URL: http://captainjonathan.com/?p=11154

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Captain, who's driving?.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser: 
http://captainjonathan.com/10th-april-2/

b.gif?blog=61628354&post=11154&subd=captt.gif?email_name=email_subscription&blog

Edited by cat shepard
Forgot the most important part
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks Cat Shepard.  I checked the blog earlier this morning so the post is REALLY new.

Roy

It literally popped into my email account as I was reading CC. Talk about timing! 

I believe I heard the cries of joy from the crew even though I am thousands of miles away.

Stay well.

• Like 2

So before any port they have to be at sea for 14 days. Good thing they didn't take passengers. This is going to be a very long trip. There's a bit of an edge to this post, and I can hardly blame him. It must be frustrating to wonder, as they approach the port, will there be a last minute GO AWAY! 

Wishing Amsterdam, Captain, and crew a smooth 16 days and safe home to the crew who will disembark.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Daily report!   Will have to pass on the turkey/avocado thing (am I the only person who thinks avocado is a waste of stomach space?), but will enjoy leftovers from last night's anniversary dinner - take-out from our fave Italian restaurant.  Lots of garlic - it did a great job keeping the werewolves away!  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Rich

this just popped into my mailbox. At the end of the entry is the destination.

New post on Captain, who's driving?

blavatar.png
70f70163138a66d0547995c07111f776?s=50&d=

10th April

by Jonathan

Well, Durban is astern of us and we now have a  50 knott wind across our decks, a 10 feet swell on our bow, add the Agulhas current and we're almost going astern, but heavens, it's good to be back at sea.

9th April, Durban, 'parked' on a berth with Police and Port Health surrounding us, no-one on and, once we had disembarked our 5 South African crew, no gangway either, a far cry from what this lovely lady is used to.  We came to take fuel, stores and provisions, all accomplished, however not without some difficulty.  Originally, we had approximately 10 container-loads to put on board; what on earth are we going to do with all that?  Take 3 instead is what transpired.  Being the 'leper' that we are, everything loaded had to stay on board and we, being who we are, weren't going to to try and touch anything that came on, for at least 14 days.

Everything, literally everything was sanitised, big sprayers and foggers going at it and then onto pallet jacks and into store rooms and chilled/freezer rooms for 14-days.  3 of the crew volunteered for this and as a result are now in 14-day quarantine, bless them.  No photos of this of course, minimum personnel and everyone else stay the hell out of it.

The pilot (compulsory, although we could have gone in there with our hands tied behind our backs), didn't even have gloves or face mask on, a good start to the proceedings.  The one who (compulsory) took us out did though, however, at my suggestion, left after we had got off the dock!

IMG_4922_f_improf_320x240.jpg Don't we look 'cool' 🙂

Then there was communication ashore to deal with, we usually do this with radios of course, however no-one ashore wanted one of our radios, so comms between the ship was conducted on WhatsApp between myself and the agent, not a good idea I can tell you, pesky phone going 'ding' at all times of day and night 😕

A few photos before I tell you where we are going, (got to let you wait awhile longer)  🙂

2020-04-10_0001.jpg Entering through the Breakwaters

2020-04-10_0002.jpg The City itself

2020-04-10_0005.jpg We are going to the berth on the end of the jetty

2020-04-10_0007.jpg The harbour is incredibly dirty

2020-04-10_0008_f_improf_1038x694.jpg Today and the sun is out

b06a74d9-c74d-4690-b74c-676a9cf3d66c_f_i Karen was up early for the sunrise

2020-04-10_0009.jpg The pilot leaves us

So, back to where we are heading; numerous emails (and WhatsApp), back and forth, however 2 hours before we got out of Dodge, the question was answered,  Batam, Indonesia.  It's on the Malacca Straits, south of Singapore and we are going to try to disembark our (wonderful) crew, get them home to their families, albeit they will have to quarantine before they do so.  I told them over the PA and you could hear the cries of joy from the Bridge.

Every port or anchorage we go to requires a 14-day isolation period before arrival and so it will take us 16 days to get there.  (We could do it faster, however it's all about $$$, save fuel, save $$, so we are our minimum of 2 diesel generators and thus the 16 days, April 24th).

I know many of my readers have luggage on board and you're probably wondering when you'll see it.  It certainly hasn't been forgotten by the powers that be and various options are being discussed, so don't concern yourself at the moment, please.

I will write again as we progress east, it's a long haul...........

Stay Safe and Healthy. please.......

Jonathan | 11 April 2020 at 12:46 am | Categories: Repositioning, World Cruise 2020 | URL: http://captainjonathan.com/?p=11154

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Captain, who's driving?.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser: 
http://captainjonathan.com/10th-april-2/

b.gif?blog=61628354&post=11154&subd=captt.gif?email_name=email_subscription&blog

Thanks for sharing Jonathan's Blog

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Thanks for the Daily report!   Will have to pass on the turkey/avocado thing (am I the only person who thinks avocado is a waste of stomach space?), but will enjoy leftovers from last night's anniversary dinner - take-out from our fave Italian restaurant.  Lots of garlic - it did a great job keeping the werewolves away!  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I’m no fan of avocado.  I think we will have takeout from our favorite local Greek restaurant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I have received information that it is also Siblings Day and National Hug Your Dog Day.

Good morning Rich!

Thank you always for your wonderful reporting on our fleet report AND THE DAILY!

Hug your dog day? No problem here!! Paisley is a hugger back this morning!
Have all the ingredients for your sandwich! 
Might do that for lunch👍
Denise😊

• Like 1