Jump to content

What will RCC offer when I cancel in a couple of days?


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It depends.

 

Do you want to pay Royal the rest of the money on the cruise and hope that the cruise gets cancelled and then wait another couple months to get your refund.  Then what happens if they sail but you don’t want to go...then you get the entire cruise back as a FCC.

 

no harm in waiting a couple days to cancel and get the $750 deposit back as a FCC but I don’t honestly think that anything will change between now and your final payment date.

 

 

My wife says that dinner is ready....so i will qquickly say in response to your question: i do NOT in any way shape or form want to pay the balance due.

I would be possibly interested in having my $750 applied to some distant cruise...something that I don't have to select right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SSBrickNJ said:

My wife says that dinner is ready....so i will qquickly say in response to your question: i do NOT in any way shape or form want to pay the balance due.

I would be possibly interested in having my $750 applied to some distant cruise...something that I don't have to select right now.

good plan. 🙂  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SSBrickNJ said:

My wife says that dinner is ready....so i will qquickly say in response to your question: i do NOT in any way shape or form want to pay the balance due.

I would be possibly interested in having my $750 applied to some distant cruise...something that I don't have to select right now.

As of right now, future cruise credits are available for you to use on any sailing before December 31, 2021.  (might be on or before 12/31/21) but yes you would have approx. 18 months to select another cruise to use the FCC on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a cruise on Oasis in August. I am like you, there was no way I was going to hand RCI over 5 figures in May with both the current economic uncertainty and sailing uncertainty.  Earlier this week I went ahead and transferred the deposit for the same cruise to next summer, no penalty

 

Yes, the cruise is a couple thousand more expensive (crown loft, grand suite) but I was pretty confident this was not the final price.  I am one of those that part of my morning coffee routine before work is to log in and run a mock booking on the cruise. Low and behold, today, just 3 days later, the grand suite was $367 cheaper so had it repriced.  Now we are only $1,633 more than the August cruise.  

 

We are gambling on the RCCI still being around next summer, but am comfortable with losing the deposit if the worst happens. I would hate it but l am willing to gamble the deposit to get the exact cabins I wanted before the mad rush to rebook when the cruises after May 12 cancel. Unfortunately, with booking suites, I have absolutely no choice but non-refundable deposits.

 

I won't purchase insurance until right before final payment.  Right now, insurance is more than the deposit I would lose, so not worth it. We always use Nationwide where we can get CFAR and the medical waiver up until the day of final payment.

 

It was very easy to rebook. The CSR was wonderful.

 

 

Edited by cured
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SSBrickNJ said:

On 4/14 our balance is do on a July 13th cruise out of Cape Liberty NJ. My wife, daughter and I have no intention of going on that cruise. I "heard" months ago that cruise lines will allow you to apply your deposit ( in my case it totaled $750) to a future cruise without penalty. Is that true?

Do I need to select that future cruise before our 4/14 balance due date? Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback. It's been months since I was on this forum so I'm really out of the loop. (My own fault...sorry!)

 

It looks to me like you're on the 7-night Empress to Bermuda on July 13 from Cape Liberty. How much more is due on April 14?   You are deciding between a definite $250 pp FCC if you cancel before 4/14, vs. paying off the cruise and gambling on whether RCI will be sailing on July 13th to Bermuda. The ONLY way you'll get any cash back is to pay off the cruise.  If RCI cancels it - you'll get it all refunded. If the ship sails and you cancel at least 48 hours before  - (I think) you'll get the ~$238 pp taxes refunded and a FCC for the balance. If it were me - I'd be willing to take the chance that the ship won't sail.

 

* I now see you aren't at all interested in paying off the cruise.  You have to do what makes you  comfortable.

Edited by NancyIL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

My wife says that dinner is ready....so i will qquickly say in response to your question: i do NOT in any way shape or form want to pay the balance due.

I would be possibly interested in having my $750 applied to some distant cruise...something that I don't have to select right now.

I was going to suggest that you do just this. The fact that you stated in your first post that you had no intention of going tells me that there is no sense throwing good money after bad by paying it off and hoping for the cruise to be canceled. You already paid the deposit so no harm done. Call on Monday or Tuesday and cancel your booking and get the full deposit as a future credit. That's what I would do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not going to happen.  Each person will get a $750 credit that you have to apply and sail by Dec 31 2021 

 

Can the deposit be applied to a booking already made?

Edited by A&L_Ont
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes.


I think I’m starting to see a plan for my October cruise.  
 

I can cancel without making final and lose $100pp.  Then, don’t cancel my booked flights and wait to see what happens with all cruises. If cruises are going, and Canadians can go, I can book a cabin “last minute” and apply the FCC upon deposit/payment. I just don’t feel like giving all my money in June just to have it cancelled.
 

If there is no cruising in October apply FCC one of my 2021 sailings and bank the airfare in a pool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:


I think I’m starting to see a plan for my October cruise.  
 

I can cancel without making final and lose $100pp.  Then, don’t cancel my booked flights and wait to see what happens with all cruises. If cruises are going, and Canadians can go, I can book a cabin “last minute” and apply the FCC upon deposit/payment. I just don’t feel like giving all my money in June just to have it cancelled.
 

If there is no cruising in October apply FCC one of my 2021 sailings and bank the airfare in a pool. 

You caught it before I edited. 

 

They also have restricted using FCC’s from being applied to the same cruise that was cancelled. 

 

I expect the cruise with confidence to be extended beyond Sept 1 before your final payment would be due. 

 

 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They also have restricted using FCC’s from being applied to the same cruise that was cancelled. 


 Ah, then I could apply it to my January 2021 sailing out of SJ.  I will pay for that one at final, and if it gets cancelled then I will take the refund. Fingers crossed that by January of next year that there will be some normality again. 
 

I wonder if non-Americans will be given more options if they aren’t allowed into the States after final payment. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was going to suggest that you do just this. The fact that you stated in your first post that you had no intention of going tells me that there is no sense throwing good money after bad by paying it off and hoping for the cruise to be canceled. You already paid the deposit so no harm done. Call on Monday or Tuesday and cancel your booking and get the full deposit as a future credit. That's what I would do.

YUP.

Even if they are allowed to sail on July 13th(not likely...but hypothetically possible) ....and the Empress of the Seas to Bermuda does sail....WE don't feel comfortable. Too soon to mix with thousands of strangers.

I'll call on Monday....get my $750 deposit re-designated as a FFC for a future sailing to take place prior to Dec. 31, 2021.

*
*
*
*
*
We like RCC....we'll happily sail when all this Covid nightmare stuff is in the rear mirror.

Edited by SSBrickNJ
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I wonder if non-Americans will be given more options if they aren’t allowed into the States after final payment. 🤔

I know that we weren’t given any special treatment when Canada issued the do not travel advisory before Royal cancelled the cruises.  I have several clients who were planning on sailing and had to cancel due to the advisory and Royal wouldn’t budge on giving them the extra 25% On their FCC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, karena1 said:

OMG, they are not going to go Bankrupt.  Please don't be so negative!!!

 

Lol,anythings possible. I wouldnt be booking anything at the moment. Amy business can go bankrupt. Especially one that is solely dependent on having passengers. If they cant sail for months on end (no crystal ball) they most certainly can go bankrupt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

That was the most convincing post of them all. Unless someone can give me a compelling reason not to follow @Sunshine3601 's advice....that's what I will do. That being....I'll wait until Monday and see if RCC has announced anything relevant.

You wont see royal refund 3 months at a time. They will/can only afford to do 30 days at a time. Having future bookings cash is the way they can refund every 30 days. They can only borrow so much money. Its basically robbing peter to pay paul.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SSBrickNJ said:

YUP.

Even if they are allowed to sail on July 13th(not likely...but hypothetically possible) ....and the Empress of the Seas to Bermuda does sail....WE don't feel comfortable. Too soon to mix with thousands of strangers.

I'll call on Monday....get my $750 deposit re-designated as a FFC for a future sailing to take place prior to Dec. 31, 2021.

*
*
*
*
*
We like RCC....we'll happily sail when all this Covid nightmare stuff is in the rear mirror.

My FFC above was meant to be FCC. I'm done here. Thanks everyone!

THE END  ☺️

Edited by SSBrickNJ
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I know that we weren’t given any special treatment when Canada issued the do not travel advisory before Royal cancelled the cruises.  I have several clients who were planning on sailing and had to cancel due to the advisory and Royal wouldn’t budge on giving them the extra 25% On their FCC


I guess it could be different if the border is shut and it is paid in full.  However, 100% cash back is just as good as 100% FCC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

I'm reading and responding as fast as I can while I have everyone's attention.

More than once you Cruise Critic regulars have posted "FCC" in your kind replies to me.

Does "FCC" mean Full Cruise Credit??

If not, what does "FCC" stand for?

FCC = future cruise credit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:


I think I’m starting to see a plan for my October cruise.  
 

I can cancel without making final and lose $100pp.  Then, don’t cancel my booked flights and wait to see what happens with all cruises. If cruises are going, and Canadians can go, I can book a cabin “last minute” and apply the FCC upon deposit/payment. I just don’t feel like giving all my money in June just to have it cancelled.
 

If there is no cruising in October apply FCC one of my 2021 sailings and bank the airfare in a pool. 


That’s what we’re thinking for our October cruise. We don’t have any other cruises at this point, but that could be arranged. Well, if they change the requirement for my 70+ DH to have a doctors note, it could be arranged. Our final payment isn’t due until the first week in July, so for now, I’m trying to be patient and see what happens over the next three months. A whole lot could change between now and then - or maybe it won’t. Meanwhile, I have cancelled some of my out of pocket Cruise planner purchases and am considering cancelling the remaining two, but I’m sure I’d be paying more if we do end up sailing in October. The things I already cancelled will not be repurchased.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Oh...ok my Jersey Shore friend from Long Branch.

I can't get my deposit back and walk away without ever cruising in the future. I wish I could get the 3 person x $250 = $750

I wish I could get it all back and just walk away.

 

 

im in cherry quay in brick! how about you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Lol,anythings possible. I wouldnt be booking anything at the moment. Amy business can go bankrupt. Especially one that is solely dependent on having passengers. If they cant sail for months on end (no crystal ball) they most certainly can go bankrupt.

A bk would wipe out debt. Cruise lines would still sail and most passengers would never be aware of the financial trouble. Look at the companies over the last year or so that have gone bankrupt, Delta, American Airlines, General Motors, Sears, Citi Group, etc. etc.  Just last week UBS gave Royal a12 month stock target of $80.00 and a buy recommendation.  Looks like sailings will start around July. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

 Looks like sailings will start around July. 

Wishful thinking, one can dream...............We have a cruise booked the last week of September and I even think that is doubtful......

 

Can only hope this vaccine trial goes well.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-11/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-by-autumn-says-oxford-professor-sarah-gilbert/

 

..

Edited by Jimbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...