Peta Credlin on Sky, usually an intelligent and fair commentator has had a real bugbear about Ruby. She was convinced that all the passengers disembarked under the cover of darkness at 2:30am on the 19th March. Constant repetition of this ridiculous error as fact.

To complete her lack of absolute knowledge, last night her comment “Ruby Princess is at last leaving Australian waters and heading ‘home’ to Manila”, was shameful.

Her constant demeaning commentating, (along with other Australian Media,) has played a large part in the hanging out to flog, draw and quarter - with little defence - of the Senior Staff on Ruby Princess. Where are the other players Ms Credlin? Or the truth?

Go easy Ruby Princess - what a terrible end you had to your summer Downunder. 🙏

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

"Intelligent and fair commentator". Actually, sounds like the usual standard of commentary from her...

Intelligent - yes. Fair? If that's referring to a lack of bias it's way off the mark.

It really is disappointing to see these many posts about this investigation. As an outsider looking in I had hoped that the police would conduct a fair and complete investigation to find the truth. With some of the comments attributed to the head of the police, I am concerned about the integrity of this whole inquiry. Unfortunately his conduct is tarnishing all of the members working on this case. I also wonder how the Police Commissioner thinks he has the final say on whether any ship returns to NSW, those decisions are way above his pay grade.

Posted (edited)

As I said before Blackduck, don't assume the NSW police force  has the same integrity as the Canadian one.

But as one of the investigations is independent and they have broadcast bits of the questioning between the investigators and the ship's doctors and other staff on the  news, it seems pretty clear that the ship followed correct procedures and that the local authorities made the mistakes.

Edited by christodan
47 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It really is disappointing to see these many posts about this investigation. As an outsider looking in I had hoped that the police would conduct a fair and complete investigation to find the truth. With some of the comments attributed to the head of the police, I am concerned about the integrity of this whole inquiry. Unfortunately his conduct is tarnishing all of the members working on this case. I also wonder how the Police Commissioner thinks he has the final say on whether any ship returns to NSW, those decisions are way above his pay grade.

I don't think the investigations should be judged solely on what is being presented in the media. The spokes people have their own agendas, it doesn't mean the people behind the scenes are not doing the right thing. I saw one interview with the head of one of the investigations, I unfortunately missed his name but in the interview he sounded very balanced saying that he just wants to gather all the facts and let the evidence lead to the conclusion. I think it is best to reserve judgement till the investigations are completed because along with Ruby being used as a political football you also have a lot angry people on both sides of the fence who are viewing everything through their own prejudices and that is probably colouring a lot of their commentary so I don't think they are an accurate reflection of how the investigations are going. 

Looks like Princess is planning to have Ruby Princess on the Alaska run this year, assuming the ports reopen; in which case she will be making stops here in Victoria. I wonder if the ports will open, I hope they do but am aware of the risk. Here in British Columbia we have an excellent public health officer in Dr. Bonny Henry, her daily briefings are calm and informative. I know we are looking good here but the next few weeks will have to continue to move the curve down. Whether the port opens to cruise ships is a decision for our national government in Ottawa. Hopefully if she does come here the stigma of being "that ship" will have passed.

One must keep asking the question why are the police not including NSW Health in their investigation when even Doctors are criticising their negligence in other domestic cases:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/broken-hill-hospital-systemic-failure-ombudsman-investigate/12177536

This article here provides good reading.

A group of clinicians has asked the New South Wales Ombudsman to investigate what the group says are systemic failures by health authorities in the state's outback.

The request is from five former staff members at Broken Hill Hospital who last year blew the whistle about mistakes that led to the death of local teenager Alex Braes.

"Our complaint concerns systemic failures within [the Far West Local Health District and the Ministry of Health] which we believe have led to avoidable deaths of hospital patients," the clinicians wrote to the ombudsman.

They said they had not been listened to after appeals to Health Minister Brad Hazzard and departmental secretary Elizabeth Koff.

The ombudsman's office told the ABC it had received and was considering the complaint.

Inquiry calls rejected
The clinicians first raised their concerns about the Braes case in a Four Corners program last year examining care in country hospitals.

Soon after the program's airing, they wrote to the Government asking it to set up a judicial inquiry into regional health care.

"There was a huge volume of information that came to us and to Four Corners about how the Ministry of Health and local health districts functioned," one of the clinicians, Kerrie MacDonald, said.

The group believes more than 30 nurses left the local health district (LHD) within the past two years, as well as many other senior and experienced staff.

Ms Koff responded to their concerns in December, stating that she believed an independent inquiry was not warranted.

In her response, Ms Koff outlined a timeline of meetings between the clinicians and NSW Health bosses, executives' visits to Broken Hill Hospital and several reviews that had been commissioned into the allegations.

"As you are aware, significant action has been taken to address the issues at [the Far West LHD]," Ms Koff said in her response.

Dr MacDonald said the group complained to the ombudsman because Ms Koff's letter did not specifically address the matters raised by the clinicians.

In a statement, a spokeswoman for Mr Hazzard said NSW Health had tried to address the concerns "on several occasions".

"The NSW Ombudsman will assess these complaints and NSW Health will cooperate fully with any inquiries made by his office," the spokeswoman said.

The chief executive of the Far West Local Health District, Umit Agis, said it would take any concerns seriously.

"We certainly would be cooperating with any investigation into what's being alleged," he said.

NSW Health did not respond to requests for comment.

The Far West Local Health District has been the subject of numerous internal and external inquiries over the past five years, mostly relating to its governance and allegations of bullying.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Whether the port opens to cruise ships is a decision for our national government in Ottawa. 

It is not just ports, the border will have to reopen which will be as much up to the Alaskan government. Apparently Ketchikan has a pretty bad cluster. 

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is not just ports, the border will have to reopen which will be as much up to the Alaskan government. Apparently Ketchikan has a pretty bad cluster. 

Our border opening is also a decision that will be made in Ottawa; and I don't think we will be keen on that until the situation in the US improves which is doubtful any time soon.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our border opening is also a decision that will be made in Ottawa; and I don't think we will be keen on that until the situation in the US improves which is doubtful any time soon.

Sometimes it’s good to be a Island on the bottom of nowhere.

You’re friends across the boarder have the political problem of individuality.

Weather you like the pomies or not ,the countries in the commonwealth are very stable in their social and political belief.

2 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

One must keep asking the question why are the police not including NSW Health in their investigation when even Doctors are criticising their negligence in other domestic cases:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/broken-hill-hospital-systemic-failure-ombudsman-investigate/12177536

What has that got to do with the investigation into Ruby Princess.  And where is proof that police are not including NSW Health in their investigation - you keep saying they are not but you have no idea - your prejudice against the police is getting tiresome.

2 minutes ago, rickays said:

What has that got to do with the investigation into Ruby Princess.  And where is proof that police are not including NSW Health in their investigation - you keep saying they are not but you have no idea - your prejudice against the police is getting tiresome.

It shows a pattern of behaviour where NSW Health may be lacking in professionalism or its ability to undertake its role.

It is clear from repeated statements by police, the actions of the commissioner, the blame of a crew member without evidence and the media released questionnaire that the investigation is solely focused on the Ruby Princess and no other organisation.

17 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

It shows a pattern of behaviour where NSW Health may be lacking in professionalism or its ability to undertake its role.

It is clear from repeated statements by police, the actions of the commissioner, the blame of a crew member without evidence and the media released questionnaire that the investigation is solely focused on the Ruby Princess and no other organisation.

Detectives from across State Crime, Counter Terrorism and Special Tactics and Marine Area Commands are conducting inquiries under Strike Force Bast surrounding the docking and disembarking of the Ruby Princess at Sydney Harbour on Thursday 19 March 2020.

The priority of the investigation is to determine whether there was criminal negligence by the company or crew relevant to health issues prevailing on the ship, as well as any actions or omissions by any other entity, including NSW or Commonwealth departments, which may have directly or indirectly related to the death of a person from COVID-19.

37 minutes ago, rickays said:

Detectives from across State Crime, Counter Terrorism and Special Tactics and Marine Area Commands are conducting inquiries under Strike Force Bast surrounding the docking and disembarking of the Ruby Princess at Sydney Harbour on Thursday 19 March 2020.

The priority of the investigation is to determine whether there was criminal negligence by the company or crew relevant to health issues prevailing on the ship, as well as any actions or omissions by any other entity, including NSW or Commonwealth departments, which may have directly or indirectly related to the death of a person from COVID-19.

The commissioner has stated he is "glad to see the back of it and does not want to see it return" or so to speak. Before it left the police did another raid and took the private mobile phones of crew members on board for analysis and background checks into what their phone activity was.

They may say something but their actions are yet to demonstrate it.

I would be more than happy to eat humble pie and admit I was wrong if it turns out they clear the Ruby Princess and actually charge someone from a government department.

If you can pull up for me the news video of the strike force raid on the offices of NSW health then I would much appreciate it and happily take my exit from this thread and never type another word about the issue.

2 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

The commissioner has stated he is "glad to see the back of it and does not want to see it return" or so to speak. Before it left the police did another raid and took the private mobile phones of crew members on board for analysis and background checks into what their phone activity was.

They may say something but their actions are yet to demonstrate it.

I would be more than happy to eat humble pie and admit I was wrong if it turns out they clear the Ruby Princess and actually charge someone from a government department.

If you can pull up for me the news video of the strike force raid on the offices of NSW health then I would much appreciate it and happily take my exit from this thread and never type another word about the issue.

You really think that anyone is privy to police investigations? Surprisingly, even the media is cherry picking what they report and what info they have received to select from will never be the full extent of the investigations. 

On 4/11/2020 at 3:24 PM, bazzaw said:

If there is one thing that I have learned about all this, is that I will never book through a TA again, not even a hotel through a hotel aggregator or any flights!!!. 

Us as well. If we receive anything back from our cruise TA, it will most likely come in the form of vouchers...Just thanking my lucky stars we didn't book flights hotels etc etc.

12 hours ago, pmcl said:

Us as well. If we receive anything back from our cruise TA, it will most likely come in the form of vouchers...Just thanking my lucky stars we didn't book flights hotels etc etc.

Spoke with Princess yesterday and any refund in the form of money should be no earlier than 60 days from end of cruise/or date of refund application.   

Regarding the use of a TA..I can not imagine it is legal for the TA to give you your refund in a form of future credit..Good luck.  We booked through a TA and did not get the e mail regarding "if you want to cancel", but being in Sydney for a week and only using the cell phone for limited use..thought that was the reason..not because of my TA.  While on board the ship, we did receive email from cruise line regarding stopping of cruise and refund offers. Everyone had unlimited wifi at that point.

Again..stay safe, healthy and hope you get all your money back that is due to you.

Am I correct in stating that as the passengers left the Sydney, that many crew lined up to say farewell? And did people shake hands with the crew as they walked off?

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Am I correct in stating that as the passengers left the Sydney, that many crew lined up to say farewell? And did people shake hands with the crew as they walked off?

Yes the crew lined up on the promenade deck..some with signs..as we left.  There was music and singing.

No handshaking..actually handshaking was talked about at the beginning of the cruise and discouraged.  As was hugging and kissing .  Not as self distancing, but a way to not spread germs, just like the recommendation to use your own bathroom..if possible.  Think it was talked about the first night at the show in the Princess theater.. There was no handshaking at the Captain's cocktail party.  A lot of talk about keeping the ship clean and germ free..very positive.  Many passengers were actually afraid to get off the ship in Sydney..into a world of covid..that is how much it was believed that everything was alright.  

There was a big goodbye party in the atrium the last night..with the crew dancing and singing.... the stairs packed with passengers and in the late hours, there was continued dancing on the ground floor of the atrium.  The cruise director and his crew and entertainers..were entertaining everyone.  I was at passenger service at 12 midnight still trying to get airplane ticket home and the party was still going on.

So, after watching this morning's news, will there now be a police investigation into the virus spread in a particular nursing home?

I'm very surprised it took so long for the authorities to take action as it's been obvious for a while that there was something wrong with sanitation procedures for it to spread so quickly. Or were the staff so overworked and overwhelmed that standards could not be maintained. I'm guessing management may have some explaining to do.

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

So, after watching this morning's news, will there now be a police investigation into the virus spread in a particular nursing home?

I'm very surprised it took so long for the authorities to take action as it's been obvious for a while that there was something wrong with sanitation procedures for it to spread so quickly. Or were the staff so overworked and overwhelmed that standards could not be maintained. I'm guessing management may have some explaining to do.

There is certainly a NSW Health Department Investigation into it right now. I agree, the authorities should have been in that Home weeks ago when the first worker had worked there for a few days whilst infectious. I suspect that the charges of criminality cannot be laid, and the law won't punish for stupidity. The home may get sued for Negligence, possibly by family members, if their infection control measures did not meet standards. This too has been appallingly managed, by everyone involved.