"The only joy in this police investigation is that it will be doing their heads in and confusing the hell out of them."

Unfortunately it must also be costing us a bomb. From memory it has a very large taskforce dedicated to this matter. What a waste of money. Makes one wonder just how many other important matters are NOT being investigated.

27 minutes ago, nnps said:

"The only joy in this police investigation is that it will be doing their heads in and confusing the hell out of them."

Unfortunately it must also be costing us a bomb. From memory it has a very large taskforce dedicated to this matter. What a waste of money. Makes one wonder just how many other important matters are NOT being investigated.

I agree with you. It is a waste of money. I feel there should have been a NSW government enquiry (private if they liked) into the failure of government checks, or reporting by the cruise ship, that allowed so many people infected with COVID loose into the community. They should have been trying to work out what went wrong so it would not happen again. Trying to find blame is pointless. No-one (not the infected person, not officers on the Ruby Princess, nor staff of NSW Health of Border Force) deliberately did anything that caused the fiasco. It was a mistake, or a combination of mistakes. That is how it should have been treated rather than turning it into a witch-hunt. To announce a "criminal investigation" into the cruise line is crazy.

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Trying to find blame is pointless

That is exactly my point all along. Who do we blame? the chinese communist party? xi jing ping? Border Force? the unwitting passenger(s) who caught it and brought it onto the ship?

We are in a pandemic with a new virus beyond the scope of scientific knowledge that the experts are still learning about. To hold a ships Doctor or Captain or crew member responsible for actions beyond their control where a sequence of events has taken place with fault and blame at every step of the way is the wrong thing to do. The Ruby Princess crew thought they were safe.

It is a waste of money and even if it did get to trial the charges would be easily beaten due to the unprecedented circumstances the world faced and lack of knowledge about the virus and chain of events that led to this unfortunate incident. Ruby Princess and its crew and Princess cruises are just as much victims in this as the rest of us.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I wonder why the Police investigation has extended to the 24th Feb-8th March cruise when there was no COVID. If anything this would demonstrate the difference in handling by the NSW Health Department.

1. I have not posted on this thread up until now, as I chose, unlike many of the experts on here, to not prejudge either the enquiries nor the enquirers

2. I have cruised on Princess once & have nothing either for or against Princess or Carnival overall

3. I have friends who were crew [waitstaff] on the Ruby for the cruises in question. They just got home today in Manilla & are safe & well, and in good spirits

I have been following Commissioner Walkers (no relation 🙂 ) enquiry. Yesterday an amount of time was spent questioning Carnival Port staff on the 24Feb-8Mar cruise arrival & comparing to the cruise arriving 19Mar. It made for interesting viewing, following on from the NSW Health session and the NSW Ports session.

I commend a viewing ( better than transcripts I suggest) for those interested & who have not already made up their minds. Walker made some interesting comments about people's memories, including his own. I note he is pretty tough on his people assisting also if they go off on tangents.

As with most things that go wrong, a sequence of events, misunderstandings & even  non-answered phone calls etc seemingly occurred that led to the issues under investigation. I am sure they will get to the bottom of it all.

I look forward to the findings.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

3. I have friends who were crew [waitstaff] on the Ruby for the cruises in question. They just got home today in Manilla & are safe & well, and in good spirits

I look forward to the findings.

I am glad your friends from the Ruby got home safely and are well and in good spirits. I wish them well.

Like you, I look forward to the findings from the Commission of Inquiry. The Commissioner isn't pulling any punches.

I have just been reading some of this and want to throw my opinion in. I agree with some that the police investigation appears "corrupt" However with my limited experience with the law I do not believe any criminal charges or prosecution will ever be successful. With all the commissioner has done with his personal involvement is hand defence lawyers a victory on a silver platter should it get to court and not be thrown out if charges against the company and people are laid. I think the police commissioner has shamed himself in the news and displayed his true intention and made some terrible errors of judgement that expose and extreme and unjustified bias. Perhaps he is just trying to give the people of NSW a symbol to blame for the virus situation but in the end all he is doing is creating distrust and eroding the confidence of the police force particularly among those of us who know even a little about cruising.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:49 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I am glad your friends from the Ruby got home safely and are well and in good spirits. I wish them well.

Like you, I look forward to the findings from the Commission of Inquiry. The Commissioner isn't pulling any punches.

Yes from FB I can see our friends are settling in at home albeit with an unsure future. I'm sure they appreciate your wishes.

The commissioner displayed a sense of humour yesterday. There have been some ongoing questions over the transcript of a phone conversation between the Ruby doctor and someone shoreside about the passengers taken off by ambulance, relating to their condition from a COVID19 or at least respiratory infection perspective in relation to the safety of port personnel - the pilot if I recall correctly. The transcript apparently reads that the doctor stated one of the passengers had an upper ear infection. The overall view in the commission is that is not what the doctor said. Counsel assisting stated that they had listened over an over to the recording to try to determine what the doctor said. Commissioner Walker then asks with a smile, along the lines of "was it your upper ear you were listening with?"