Ruby Princess police investigation

49 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

That is not a fair comparison. Compared with the amount of people on land to those on cruise ships, you were more likely to catch the virus on a cruise ship. Especially if it was a Princess cruise ship.

There's nothing magical about cruise ships, nor does comparing a residential structure to an open area of land a fair comparison.

The issue is that you have people staying in the same space over a period. Compare them to hospitals and nursing homes where similar conditions exist on land, a more fair comparison, and you will find similar outbreaks occurring.

It's just simple maths: Repeated exposure x people x contained space.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

would hope that NSWP having been tasked with this investigation, will conduct it in a fair and responsible way.

With you Blackduck59, this is our hope too, fingers and toes crossed. Ruby Princess has had a pretty tough run up to this point.

26 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

With you Blackduck59, this is our hope too, fingers and toes crossed. Ruby Princess has had a pretty tough run up to this point.

You see, I look at the 19 passengers who've died and their families. The ship is just a ship. I trust the review is done with full independence and with all facts, whatever the source, fully revealed. Those families deserve that. 

Edited by Pushka
1 minute ago, Pushka said:

You see, I look at the 19 passengers who've died and their families. The ship is just a ship. I trust the review is done with full independence and with all facts, whatever the source, fully revealed. Those families deserve that. 

And if NSWP do their job properly, you might finally get your answers.

But it won’t help the 19 passengers or their families -  unfortunately. The ship didn’t do this, a virus did.

56 minutes ago, Pushka said:

To many staff onboard the ship is not just a ship - if the ship is blamed unfairly it means the staff onboard are being blamed for not doing their jobs properly.  I also would like to see a fair investigation happen.  As I have stated previously I don't see how any person can be blamed for this outbreak and as for the disembarkation how can NSW Health be blamed when they had checked all passengers from the previous cruise and found no covid19, sick passengers were checked in NZ and found to have flu not covid19, sick passengers were checked onboard later and found to be positive for flu except for 2 who were negative in a test that is know to give false negatives.  Why would anyone think there was more than a very tiny chance that there was covid19 on the ship.  There was probably more chance of it showing up at the airport or Bondi Beach.  So we now know it was there, being hidden by the flu but that doesn't make anyone personally responsible.  The passengers had already been exposed before they got back to Sydney so letting them off the ship did not make them sick.  They were supposed to self isolate - the same as if they had arrived by plane.  I feel deeply upset for the passengers who have passed away and their families and everyone who suffered through the sickness, but trying to blame someone is not going to make them better.  Everyone is trying to do their best at this time, some mistakes get made but they aren't deliberate acts.

1 minute ago, rickays said:

To many staff onboard the ship is not just a ship - if the ship is blamed unfairly it means the staff onboard are being blamed for not doing their jobs properly.  I also would like to see a fair investigation happen.  As I have stated previously I don't see how any person can be blamed for this outbreak and as for the disembarkation how can NSW Health be blamed when they had checked all passengers from the previous cruise and found no covid19, sick passengers were checked in NZ and found to have flu not covid19, sick passengers were checked onboard later and found to be positive for flu except for 2 who were negative in a test that is know to give false negatives.  Why would anyone think there was more than a very tiny chance that there was covid19 on the ship.  There was probably more chance of it showing up at the airport or Bondi Beach.  So we now know it was there, being hidden by the flu but that doesn't make anyone personally responsible.  The passengers had already been exposed before they got back to Sydney so letting them off the ship did not make them sick.  They were supposed to self isolate - the same as if they had arrived by plane.  I feel deeply upset for the passengers who have passed away and their families and everyone who suffered through the sickness, but trying to blame someone is not going to make them better.  Everyone is trying to do their best at this time, some mistakes get made but they aren't deliberate acts.

Agreed. Keeping the passengers on the ship until COVID had been diagnosed would have only meant that they might have been taken to a hotel for quarantine, reducing secondary infections. From memory there were 19 secondary infections.

However, the 662 Aussies and some overseas passengers already had the virus. Quarantine would not have helped, and sadly, the death rate would probably have been the same.

I think the community spread in Tasmania is traced to 3 Ruby passengers. And I’d suggest all of the passengers would have been put into quarantine in NSW. 

Edited by Pushka
7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I think the community spread in Tasmania is traced to 3 Ruby passengers. And I’d suggest all of the passengers would have been put into quarantine in NSW. 

Yes. They should have been put into quarantine in NSW. However, it probably would not have altered the final outcome for those who have sadly passed away. Maybe the higher than usual death rate is because of the average age of those who died and, in some cases, underlying health conditions.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. They should have been put into quarantine in NSW. However, it probably would not have altered the final outcome for those who have sadly passed away. Maybe the higher than usual death rate is because of the average age of those who died and, in some cases, underlying health conditions.

Yes. Agreed. Maybe the 62 year old in SA with no health issues may have made it but conjecture only. 

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

It's not an opinion.

Fact: a passenger on a plane has the virus.

Fact: no reported cases transmitted to contacts of that passenger on the plane.

The second is not indeed a fact.  If you change that to: "no reported cases in the media / public domain" it remains a fact.

Otherwise the fact is that there are a very large number of positive Covid-19 who have "most likely" cotracted the virus via close contact on a flight.  I cannot go into how I know this.

Remember, it is much more dificult to definately prove viral exposure on a 10 hour flight than a 10 day cruise.  This makes it much more difficult to demonise a flight in the same way several cruises have been.

1 hour ago, rickays said:

Now I have seen everything!! Obviously the reporter has never been on a cruise. The report says that "galley staff were partying up close and personal with passengers". Ridiculous. The video showed the usual Parade of the Baked Alaska on the last night. Passengers don't get "up close and personal" with the galley staff as they parade through the dining room - one. Not partying.

I am shaking my head in wonderment as the misinterpretation of this video. However, the Police Commissioner has it in his possession and they are going to investigate it!!!!

Edited by Aus Traveller

Swear words, many, many swear words! 🤬

I knew channel 7 was bad but this is disgraceful. Implying that an event to honour the hard work of the kitchen crew is a party. Shame on them.

2 hours ago, rickays said:

Don't forget 7 was the home of the trash, sensationalistic 1 hour expose that took a heavily biased line against the cruise ship.

Sad news about the Californian man. Our the best to the family.

However very interesting about his wife. Tested Positive but no symptoms - it’s now 4 weeks since they disembarked the ship.  How often will someone be positive without symptoms? For how long?

Edited by Porky55
9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Don't forget 7 was the home of the trash, sensationalistic 1 hour expose that took a heavily biased line against the cruise ship.

7 rehashed the Baked Alaska vid again this morning. Staff partying with guests  again.

I can see that the video could give the impression that staff were partying with guests, but we all know that that just doesn't happen. Passengers are simply cheering the galley staff as they parade through the dining room - no partying. Some passengers stand up to get a better view or maybe to take a picture - like the person who took the video.

I am disappointed that the 'photographer' apparently felt she (I think it was a woman) had to give the video to Channel 7 then the police with the story that the galley staff were partying with passengers. A total misrepresentation of the facts. I have been concerned about the twisted 'facts' that some passengers will present to the Police and this video proves my point.

24 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can see that the video could give the impression that staff were partying with guests, but we all know that that just doesn't happen. Passengers are simply cheering the galley staff as they parade through the dining room - no partying. Some passengers stand up to get a better view or maybe to take a picture - like the person who took the video.

I am disappointed that the 'photographer' apparently felt she (I think it was a woman) had to give the video to Channel 7 then the police with the story that the galley staff were partying with passengers. A total misrepresentation of the facts. I have been concerned about the twisted 'facts' that some passengers will present to the Police and this video proves my point.

At one point in the video it shows a man, seated at a table, appear to be coughing into his hand. It was repeated a few times as if the editor was trying to get a still shot of him but mistimed it each time. Could have been an  innocent cough  but you never know.

13 hours ago, rickays said:

That is why the investigation will always be a sham and not get anywhere. Too many silly people with their hand out for some compensation even if they were not sick by showing videos of a normal every day cruise and making something up as being bad and deliberate cause of the virus from china.

56 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am disappointed that the 'photographer' apparently felt she (I think it was a woman) had to give the video to Channel 7 then the police with the story that the galley staff were partying with passengers.

The photographer might have put the video online thereby making it accessible to police and channel 7 though usually the media will offer some money for the use of an online video rather than just rip it straight off the social media site. 

20 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

That is why the investigation will always be a sham and not get anywhere. Too many silly people with their hand out for some compensation even if they were not sick by showing videos of a normal every day cruise and making something up as being bad and deliberate cause of the virus from china.

That was the vid I saw. I reviewed it and at 0.46 there is a bloke, sitting next to a guy named Clive, coughing onto the back of his hand (not recommended) instead of his elbow (recommended) or he could have used the enormous napkin he was waving (better still). The reporter says that Clive later tested positive. So, the question could be, did Clive catch the virus from his table mate - highly possible. Greater chance of that than crew parading past carrying Baked Alaska.  

32 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

This worries me also. If the Police investigation focus on reports like this one, they are wasting their time. What is the relevance? Are they trying to say that the galley staff sneezed on everyone as they paraded through the dining room giving the virus to around 700 people? They would have had to be very powerful sneezes to get to every corner of the room. 😉

I agree with you that often people focus on compensation.

Edited by Aus Traveller