Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we have most accommodation booked, we just need to book something in Bateman's Bay and decide on the stop between Bateman's and Phillip Island. We did book Craig's Royal Hotel in Ballarat. We have also decided on 2 nights on Phillip Island, 2 nights in Torquay and 2 nights in Princetown. These locations seemed to be a reasonable driving distance apart and act as little bases to see the surrounding area. If they are poor choices...oh well.

Lyle, have a look at Araluen motor inn at Batehaven. We stayed there a few times before moving here in 2005. It is fine for a couple of nights, more importantly the donegans steak 🥩 restaurant is on site and a bakery with meat pies, 100 metres away. Probably around $150 a night a room.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we have most accommodation booked, we just need to book something in Bateman's Bay and decide on the stop between Bateman's and Phillip Island. We did book Craig's Royal Hotel in Ballarat. We have also decided on 2 nights on Phillip Island, 2 nights in Torquay and 2 nights in Princetown. These locations seemed to be a reasonable driving distance apart and act as little bases to see the surrounding area. If they are poor choices...oh well.

Lakes Entrance is a good halfway location and a popular holiday destination.

• Like 1

Lakes Entrance is a nice place to stay. We stayed at Bellevue on the Lakes which was quite comfortable. They have a restaurant but it wasn't open the night/morning we were there. The pub just down the road has great food.

Be aware that the road between Bateman's Bay and Lakes Entrance is a country road, one lane each way with a decent number of overtaking lanes. It's a pretty drive but allow an extra hour or so in case of road works. We ran into several slow sections through there.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:14 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for checking the difference is probably exchange rate also the multi city aspect. We can get Maple Leaf lounge access for the layover in Vancouver for the low fee of $25.00 each. We are taking an earlier flight in case of weather and the flight to Auckland is truly a "Red Eye" we fly out of Vancouver at almost midnight on the 10th and arrive in Auckland around 11:00 AM Auckland time. It is a 14 hour flight.

I looked into booking the Maple Leaf Lounge in Vancouver, which is a good deal for $25pp, but decided there wasn't enough time.  The lounge will be a good investment for you with late departure. 

You should sleep from Vancouver to Auckland.  All passengers who arrived on flight from Vancouver to a five hour wait for onward flight were upgraded to business class - nice gesture!

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Lakes Entrance is a nice place to stay. We stayed at Bellevue on the Lakes which was quite comfortable. They have a restaurant but it wasn't open the night/morning we were there. The pub just down the road has great food.

Be aware that the road between Bateman's Bay and Lakes Entrance is a country road, one lane each way with a decent number of overtaking lanes. It's a pretty drive but allow an extra hour or so in case of road works. We ran into several slow sections through there.

Good advice then you won't be frustrated if your journey is slower than expected.  As it is a pretty drive, allow enough time to enjoy the journey.  I find a lot of the side detours towards the ocean are highlights of travel along the East Coast.  Maybe locals can recommend a couple. 

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Lyle, have a look at Araluen motor inn at Batehaven. We stayed there a few times before moving here in 2005. It is fine for a couple of nights, more importantly the donegans steak 🥩 restaurant is on site and a bakery with meat pies, 100 metres away. Probably around $150 a night a room.

Good recommendation Les, it was a little more than $150.00 but it has a king sized bed and a bit of a view. We booked that and with the others suggesting Lakes Entrance we will check what we can get there.

• Like 1

Just a caution on Lakes Entrance etc. Probably reflected in Batehaven, too.

High demand holiday areas, priced accordingly.

Schools go back about 28 January after which demand and prices usually decrease. In Victoria students return 31 Jan, so that weekend would be high, compounded by Australia Day holiday 26 Jan).

Edited by Docker123

50 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Just a caution on Lakes Entrance etc. Probably reflected in Batehaven, too.

High demand holiday areas, priced accordingly.

Schools go back about 28 January after which demand and prices usually decrease. In Victoria students return 31 Jan, so that weekend would be high, compounded by Australia Day holiday 26 Jan).

Indeed, prices are up, holiday season.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle, I would recommend Lakes entrance for a stopover on your way to Phillip Island. It will give you a chance to spend a little bit more time going through south east Victoria. Princetown is a tiny place, with very few accommodation options in it. This may mean staying in Port Campbell. This link may help - https://www.princetowntavern.com.au/ . My son in law and grandson recently spent five days on a school camp at Princetown. 

If I remember correctly, you will be here in February? Torquay and Phillip Island will still likely be quite busy with the summer season as will Lakes Entrance. School will be back though. After leaving Lakes Entrance, I would travel to Morwell and then head down to Leongatha, and then to Inverloch, Wonthaggi and then on to Phillip Island. About 4 - 4.5 hours driving without any stops. I would also take the Inverloch-Cape Patterson Road to Wonthaggi as you will get some nice views of the Southern Ocean. Cape Patterson is a tiny beachside place with mainly holiday homes but it does have a nice Tavern. Just a little further on from there is Harmers Haven where my daughter in law's extended family have a couple of holiday homes. Wonthaggi is a typical Victorian town with a population of about 5000. We have friends who live there as does one of Rob's cousins. On the road from Wonthaggi to Phillip Island is Kilcunda which has a great pub and an interesting railway trestle bridge which is part of a walking/cycling trail now. 

Kilcunda Trestle Railway Bridge, Kilcunda, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia

Leigh

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Lyle, I would recommend Lakes entrance for a stopover on your way to Phillip Island. It will give you a chance to spend a little bit more time going through south east Victoria. Princetown is a tiny place, with very few accommodation options in it. This may mean staying in Port Campbell. This link may help - https://www.princetowntavern.com.au/ . My son in law and grandson recently spent five days on a school camp at Princetown. 

If I remember correctly, you will be here in February? Torquay and Phillip Island will still likely be quite busy with the summer season as will Lakes Entrance. School will be back though. After leaving Lakes Entrance, I would travel to Morwell and then head down to Leongatha, and then to Inverloch, Wonthaggi and then on to Phillip Island. About 4 - 4.5 hours driving without any stops. I would also take the Inverloch-Cape Patterson Road to Wonthaggi as you will get some nice views of the Southern Ocean. Cape Patterson is a tiny beachside place with mainly holiday homes but it does have a nice Tavern. Just a little further on from there is Harmers Haven where my daughter in law's extended family have a couple of holiday homes. Wonthaggi is a typical Victorian town with a population of about 5000. We have friends who live there as does one of Rob's cousins. On the road from Wonthaggi to Phillip Island is Kilcunda which has a great pub and an interesting railway trestle bridge which is part of a walking/cycling trail now. 

Kilcunda Trestle Railway Bridge, Kilcunda, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia

Leigh

With all due respect Leigh, with Lyle's itinerary I don't think he will have much time for the tourist trail, it will be full steam ahead. I agree Lakes Entrance would be a good overnighter, been there a few times, nice place.

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

With all due respect Leigh, with Lyle's itinerary I don't think he will have much time for the tourist trail, it will be full steam ahead.

With all due respect the tourist trail as you call it Les, is on the way to Phillip Island. I assume you mean going to Wonthaggi via Cape Patterson? It adds perhaps 7 to 8 mins to the total trip from Lakes Entrance to Phillip Island. Tp get from Lakes Entrance or wherever Lyle and Lyn decide to stop, they have to go inland to the coast from the Princes Highway at some stage, and the easiest is the way I suggested or from Warragul to Korumburra to Wonthaggi.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions Leigh, we have 2 nights at Phillip Island and will do some "excursions" from there. In Princetown we are booked in a place called "The Twelve Apostles Motel and Country Retreat". We looked at Port Campbell and liked this other place better. We hope it's okay if not I guess it will just be part of the adventure.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the suggestions Leigh, we have 2 nights at Phillip Island and will do some "excursions" from there. In Princetown we are booked in a place called "The Twelve Apostles Motel and Country Retreat". We looked at Port Campbell and liked this other place better. We hope it's okay if not I guess it will just be part of the adventure.

The accommodation you have booked at Princetown sounds great Lyle. Close to the 12 Apostles too. 

Leigh

• Thanks 1

Hey Leigh we will probably want a re-run of your suggested route closer to the trip. One of our biggest problems is getting a proper road map of the route, we will be using GPS to drive but having a map now helps us envision what we want to see. We do have a travel book but maps are better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Leigh we will probably want a re-run of your suggested route closer to the trip. One of our biggest problems is getting a proper road map of the route, we will be using GPS to drive but having a map now helps us envision what we want to see. We do have a travel book but maps are better.

No problems Lyle. This website may help for Victoria - https://www.visitvictoria.com/information/route-planner

Leigh

Thanks for the link Leigh. I had a look at the link to the tavern in Princetown, what a quaint place. Lynn wasn't that keen but I'm thinking that could be an interesting place for a drink and maybe a meal. We have booked places with at least some kitchen facilities so I will be cooking at least a bit using local ingredients, mostly breakfast I think.

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the link Leigh. I had a look at the link to the tavern in Princetown, what a quaint place. Lynn wasn't that keen but I'm thinking that could be an interesting place for a drink and maybe a meal. We have booked places with at least some kitchen facilities so I will be cooking at least a bit using local ingredients, mostly breakfast I think.

Some places may have BBQ facilities as well or a local park may. I haven't been to the tavern at Princetown but we are going to Warrnambool next week so depending on what time we leave home we may detour and have a look at it.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, I'm having a bit of a problem finding something in Lake's Entrance. So far most are "Pre-pay" and some "partially refundable" not really keen on that. We have booked a couple prepay but all are fully refundable. I may have to wait until after my credit card statement comes so I can pay it off before I charge more. I don't mind prepaying some things (less to pay after the trip). 

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Leigh, I'm having a bit of a problem finding something in Lake's Entrance. So far most are "Pre-pay" and some "partially refundable" not really keen on that. We have booked a couple prepay but all are fully refundable. I may have to wait until after my credit card statement comes so I can pay it off before I charge more. I don't mind prepaying some things (less to pay after the trip). 

We usually don't prepay for accommodation if we can help it. That way there is less hasstle with getting refunds. I just looked at a 'Booking' site with dotcom on the end. It has a number of accommodation places with no prepayment.

Leigh

I used the Lastminute site (dot com) for almost all our accommodation bookings for our recent trip. Most weren't prepaid, only the last couple which we only booked a few days before, and all but one was fully refundable - that one was the Daylesford one and they offered a credit instead. Fortunately we didn't have to cancel any of them.

Lastminute have a really good app too.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We usually don't prepay for accommodation if we can help it. That way there is less hasstle with getting refunds. I just looked at a 'Booking' site with dotcom on the end. It has a number of accommodation places with no prepayment.

Leigh

Pretty much all our accommodation is through a Booking site as well (also has a dot com) almost all the reservations are pay when you stay but some are pre-pay and one is prepay in December. All reservations are fully refundable within days of the scheduled check in.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pretty much all our accommodation is through a Booking site as well (also has a dot com) almost all the reservations are pay when you stay but some are pre-pay and one is prepay in December. All reservations are fully refundable within days of the scheduled check in.

Did you try that website for Lakes Entrance Lyle? Because there were at least 5 places with no prepayment required. 

Leigh