Now for something completely different

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh I hate those takeaway cups also.  I always ask if they use cups for both tea and coffee.  The Americans don't understand that you need fresh boiling water for a good cup of tea.  I hate  those machines for making coffee, to also be used for making tea.  I take an immersion "thing" with me to boil the water, so I can enjoy a freshly brewed cup of tea. .  

I sometimes take a small travel electric jug. My main problem is that splash of milk I need, especially first thing in the morning. I can't drink black tea then. I used to be able to get packs of single serve UHT milk at the supermarket but can't get them any more. I just have to make do even if it means no tea. But since we've mostly done cruises over the past few years that hasn't been too much of a problem.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I sometimes take a small travel electric jug. My main problem is that splash of milk I need, especially first thing in the morning. I can't drink black tea then. I used to be able to get packs of single serve UHT milk at the supermarket but can't get them any more. I just have to make do even if it means no tea. But since we've mostly done cruises over the past few years that hasn't been too much of a problem.

I used to add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar, but decided that was another thing to take with me which I could do without.  I'm trying to remember where I last saw single serve UHT milk.  In Aust I used to take a small electric jug (the one without a lid, which you could heat liquid up in).

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Australia isn't usually a problem, there are tea making facilities everywhere you stay. Ditto in NZ and the UK. Asia was variable. Europe and the US you had to take a water heater of some kind.

The small electric jug was to heat up milk for hot drinks for the children.  

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I feel like Robinson Carusoe. Am I the only one here who drinks green tea? Have done so since my first visit to China (it was during SARS).

I drink green tea sometimes, not often though. We always have green tea with Thai food or Chinese food, of course that would be when we are dining in...oh wait do they do that anymore?😟

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I drink green tea sometimes, not often though. We always have green tea with Thai food or Chinese food, of course that would be when we are dining in...oh wait do they do that anymore?😟

We do here in Oz, the NSW Gov even gave $50 to spend dining out.🍽️😉 I used the first voucher the other night.

18 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We do here in Oz, the NSW Gov even gave $50 to spend dining out.🍽️😉 I used the first voucher the other night.

Well that is because you have been so much more successful than us at containing the scourge; to be perfectly honest I envy you. Unfortunately the wheels have fallen off our efforts to contain the virus, complete with protests and disregard for health orders. We are at over 1000 new cases a day in BC but some don't seem to think we have a problem. Of course as a country we allowed our ability to manufacture Vaccines and medicines in general to fade to almost nothing and like Australia, New Zealand and many other nations we are at the whim of other governments to decide if they will let us have the supplies we contracted for when the were scheduled for delivery.

Edited by Blackduck59
spelling error

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We that is because you have been so much more successful than us at containing the scourge; to be perfectly honest I envy you. Unfortunately the wheels have fallen off our efforts to contain the virus, complete with protests and disregard for health orders. We are at over 1000 new cases a day in BC but some don't seem to think we have a problem. Of course as a country we allowed our ability to manufacture Vaccines and medicines in general to fade to almost nothing and like Australia, New Zealand and many other nations we are at the whim of other governments to decide if they will let us have the supplies we contracted for when the were scheduled for delivery.

I feel for you Lyle and the other Canadians doing the right thing to mitigate the spread. It doesn't help when your big neighbour to the south, did not handle the virus well at the start and all the misinformation abounding on social media. Stay safe my friend.🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

No wine, have to imbibe in a nice Pinot Grigio with Chinese or Thai. Dine in or takeaway, I prefer the former.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I seldom drink tea or coffee. Maybe 3-6 coffee a year, less tea, tea I take black with honey, coffee I like a nice quality not too strong, maybe a cappuccino or latte.

Not many coffees there Mr Gut. I will have to introduce you to a couple of friends of mine, husband and wife, they are addicted to the Batehaven Bakery/Cafe. They attend same for morning coffee, pie and coffee lunch, afternoon coffee, I kid you not. I reckon together they spend $300 a week at the bakery/cafe, mainly on coffees with the odd pie or cake thrown in.

I rarely buy a coffee out, I have my coffee press/plunger at home, use the Vittoria Italian blend, but only 2 cups a day, brekkie and morning smoko, that's it.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I seldom drink tea or coffee. Maybe 3-6 coffee a year, less tea, tea I take black with honey, coffee I like a nice quality not too strong, maybe a cappuccino or latte.

A mate of mine ,the only fluid he takes in is beer . Yugoslav 

He’s nudging 60 and seem to be doing well.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I like Pu-er Chinese tea, which I used to buy in a small box. 

I have tried the traditional fermented Pu-er tea cakes, very interesting flavour👍though a little pricey😁. Use to be a bubble tea shop that did Pu-er. Personally I don't think it suits bubble tea. Recently tried Korean Dalgona coffee which is basically a foam. It was actually kind of nice bitter sweet drink. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well that is because you have been so much more successful than us at containing the scourge; to be perfectly honest I envy you. Unfortunately the wheels have fallen off our efforts to contain the virus, complete with protests and disregard for health orders. We are at over 1000 new cases a day in BC but some don't seem to think we have a problem. Of course as a country we allowed our ability to manufacture Vaccines and medicines in general to fade to almost nothing and like Australia, New Zealand and many other nations we are at the whim of other governments to decide if they will let us have the supplies we contracted for when the were scheduled for delivery.

As our state premier said yesterday.

Australia may be a victim of our own success and be one of the last countries to open up and will fall behind in the world.

Trapped in a bubble.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

As our state premier said yesterday.

Australia may be a victim of our own success and be one of the last countries to open up and will fall behind in the world.

Trapped in a bubble.

Well Chili I really don't know how to respond to that. I think everybody knows my thoughts on the random state border closures and other measure that have pitted state against state. The efforts made in Australia and New Zealand have been commendable. I think the best course forward is to get the vaccines administered (yes I do understand the short supply, we have the same problem) I also believe that the health authorities have to do a better job explaining the risks and causes of the blood clot issues surrounding the Astra Zeneca vaccine. The "press" has done an excellent job trashing that product to the point 60% of those asked tend to reject having it, good job. Out of 20 Million doses given, 79 cases of clotting presented and this condition is treatable. Sadly of those 79 cases some have died, how do those number stack up to covid?

Edited by Blackduck59
missed a word
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well Chili I really don't know how to respond to that. I think everybody knows my thoughts on the random state border closures and other measure that have pitted state against state. The efforts made in Australia and New Zealand have been commendable. I think the best course forward is to get the vaccines administered (yes I do understand the short supply, we have the same problem) I also believe that the health authorities have to do a better job explaining the risks and causes of the blood clot issues surrounding the Astra Zeneca vaccine. The "press" has done an excellent job trashing that product to the point 60% of those asked tend to reject having it, good job. Out of 20 Million doses given, 79 cases of clotting presented and this condition is treatable. Sadly of those 79 cases some have died, how do those number stack up to covid?

Media are having a field day slamming rhe Astra Zeneca, another recipient of the vaccine has gone to hospital. The Government should shut the media down re this adverse publicity, they would in Russia , China and North Korea.

I'm not sure that is the solution Les, the solution is to educate the citizenry as to the actual risk in terms of data people can understand, what percent is 79 of 20 million then further break that down to deaths per 20 million. Make some proper public service announcements and call out the press and there fear mongering at the same time. Funny thing when presented with the full and honest story, reasonable people will usually choose the least risk. Get the vaccine with a X percent chance of a problem or not and take your chances of getting Covid and all that it entails, probably a simple choice for most.

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I feel like Robinson Carusoe. Am I the only one here who drinks green tea? Have done so since my first visit to China (it was during SARS).

I have a green tea at least once a day. It is supposed to be good for your digestion, and I was advised in Vietnam to drink it after every meal. I don't do that here, but usually in the afternoon. I also drink black tea and most nights have a lemon & ginger tea as that is also supposed to be good for you. So coffee in the a.m. & tea in the p.m. & a beer after noon 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

I have a green tea at least once a day. It is supposed to be good for your digestion, and I was advised in Vietnam to drink it after every meal. I don't do that here, but usually in the afternoon. I also drink black tea and most nights have a lemon & ginger tea as that is also supposed to be good for you. So coffee in the a.m. & tea in the p.m. & a beer after noon 🙂

Geeze mate, you are  some sort of health fantatic.  Good I suppose, living on my own now, I eat and drink too much junk.😝

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

Geeze mate, you are  some sort of health fantatic.  Good I suppose, living on my own now, I eat and drink too much junk.😝

All things in  moderation mate. I still love my beer, & pies, and bacon, sausage & eggs for brekkie, and steak & chips, chicken wraps etc etc.

Don't be too hard on yourself - you looked pretty good to us, so you must be taking pretty good care of yourself & it's a good plan to not drink before happy hour 🙂  Cheers

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Another episode of "Coast Australia", tonight it is Port Lincoln to Adelaide. All of these show are so interesting.

I like the way each episode covers a small region, as Aust is such a big country.  We stayed in a CWA Cottage at Tumby Bay north of Port Lincoln.  Locals used to gather on the wooden jetty.  I heard tales of people raking in crabs with a rake, further up the Coast.  

• Like 1