Now for something completely different

6 hours ago, Russell21 said:

As one (retired) Joiner to another, nice bit of work there mate. I'll get round to putting up a shot of our bedhead done in the same timber one of these days.

Congratulations on your retirement, I'm not there yet. 🤔 I still have a couple years to go.

16 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

American Black Walnut, natural finish. We did a lot of stuff for that house including a whole series of solid walnut dovetailed drawers20170327_084813.thumb.jpg.e18966335e542778f2612f2376f92a21.jpg20170327_140624.thumb.jpg.1b81e6217a15634488d067af2f3d9d6e.jpg

Nice workmanship Lyle, beats a flat pack from Ikea or K Mart, lol.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The green one is a Triumph and the brown one is a FixItAgainTony

Aha, appropriately coloured Fiat.

The Triumph had me guessing as I thought it was a TR7 so I Googled TR7 and they all seemed to have pop-up headlights until I came across an identical yellow one that was auctioned in De Moines in 2011. The graphic on the bonnet is TR7 n'est pas? Hard to tell from photo.

tr7.jpg

26 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The Triumph had me guessing as I thought it was a TR7 so I Googled TR7 and they all seemed to have pop-up headlights until I came across an identical yellow one that was auctioned in De Moines in 2011. The graphic on the bonnet is TR7 n'est pas? Hard to tell from photo.

tr7.jpg

I think it is a TR 6, I didn't go across to look yesterday. It's a toss up between the Fiat and the Triumph as to the least expensive of that group.

On 5/29/2021 at 4:18 PM, lyndarra said:

tr7.jpg

I think you are correct. I was on my way over there after work when Lynn showed up to pick me up. The line up in that row changed at least 3 times today and the FixItAgainTony was a red one today.

Well being mildly inspired by Mr. Walker's tour of the Rockies we put a similar trip on our "we should do that list". Well Lynn was texting her nephew who recently moved to Nipawin Saskatchewan from Kelowna. So suddenly we are going to Saskatchewan At the end of August through the beginning of September. It will be a great road trip for our Subaru Forrester. We'll do the quick run out by direct route, have a nice visit and do the return at a much more leisure pace. We've never really had a look at the "Badlands" around Drumheller so that could be interesting. I also have a cousin in Red Deer and we will spend some time in Banff and make the Icefield Parkway one long photo op. Maybe come home by the Fraser Canyon route, I haven't driven that route since the Coquihalla Highway opened up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sounds wonderful, Lyle.

I think it will be. Every time I have been out there it was like a mission. Bus trips when I was a kid to spend the summers with the extended family. Then several drives but always with the gotta get there mind set. This time it's vacation no need to rush.

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think it will be. Every time I have been out there it was like a mission. Bus trips when I was a kid to spend the summers with the extended family. Then several drives but always with the gotta get there mind set. This time it's vacation no need to rush.

How many kilometres there and back, Lyle?

42 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well being mildly inspired by Mr. Walker's tour of the Rockies we put a similar trip on our "we should do that list". Well Lynn was texting her nephew who recently moved to Nipawin Saskatchewan from Kelowna. So suddenly we are going to Saskatchewan At the end of August through the beginning of September. It will be a great road trip for our Subaru Forrester. We'll do the quick run out by direct route, have a nice visit and do the return at a much more leisure pace. We've never really had a look at the "Badlands" around Drumheller so that could be interesting. I also have a cousin in Red Deer and we will spend some time in Banff and make the Icefield Parkway one long photo op. Maybe come home by the Fraser Canyon route, I haven't driven that route since the Coquihalla Highway opened up.

Hubby & I visited the ‘Badlands’ in 2019 with our wonderful Canadian cruising friends. The area is so incredibly different & fascinating, would love to go back. Banff & the Icefields Parkway is incredible, you sure have some amazing places on your doorstep! Enjoy your trip. Cheers, Vicki. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

How many kilometres there and back, Lyle?

The direct route there is 1950 kms by the most direct route. The return will be much longer because we are not driving directly back. It's a bit ziggy zaggy on the way home. The car has just over 9000 kms on it now I suspect we will put close to 5000 kms on this trip.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The direct route there is 1950 kms by the most direct route. The return will be much longer because we are not driving directly back. It's a bit ziggy zaggy on the way home. The car has just over 9000 kms on it now I suspect we will put close to 5000 kms on this trip.

Just returned from our road trip and found out that just like Dorothy said to the Wizard of Oz...."There's no place like home" We did 3200 miles in seven states and seven national parks, national monuments and a dozen national forests.. We flew into South Dakota and out of Las Vegas, Nevada.   We've been traveling to so many foreign locations, we almost forgot to see our own "backyard". Simply amazed at some of the beautiful landscape of the mid west states.  We started in Badland's National Park in South Dakota..wonder if they are a continuation of the Canadian Badlands?   I guess Covid and travel restrictions will be making many of us rediscover our own piece of the world.

• Like 2

I don't know Brandee, South Dakota is a long way from southern Alberta. Montana shares the entire border with Alberta and much of Saskatchewan. There is no Flying for our trip but 2 Ferry rides. I wonder what the ferry will be like, we normally sit in the buffet, the food is good and it is less crowded for the 1hr 35min crossing. The buffet has been closed for over a year so one wonders if it will open by the end of August.

13 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Just returned from our road trip and found out that just like Dorothy said to the Wizard of Oz...."There's no place like home" We did 3200 miles in seven states and seven national parks, national monuments and a dozen national forests.. We flew into South Dakota and out of Las Vegas, Nevada.   We've been traveling to so many foreign locations, we almost forgot to see our own "backyard". Simply amazed at some of the beautiful landscape of the mid west states.  We started in Badland's National Park in South Dakota..wonder if they are a continuation of the Canadian Badlands?   I guess Covid and travel restrictions will be making many of us rediscover our own piece of the world.

Sounds like you had a great trip.  US has lots of beautiful National Parks from which to choose.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks, a nice little road trip there.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sounds like a great land trip, Lyle.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't know Brandee, South Dakota is a long way from southern Alberta. Montana shares the entire border with Alberta and much of Saskatchewan. There is no Flying for our trip but 2 Ferry rides. I wonder what the ferry will be like, we normally sit in the buffet, the food is good and it is less crowded for the 1hr 35min crossing. The buffet has been closed for over a year so one wonders if it will open by the end of August.

Rules and protocol change daily, so you probably will not know about the buffet on the ferry until you go. Breakfast buffets from hotel to hotel were different.

We had different protocol regarding wearing masks from state to state, town to town,  store to store and hotel to hotel.  

The only places that have not opened in the US are Native American operated landmarks. Antelope Canyon for example.  They do not trust the white man and they have every reason not to after the history of my country. ( My comment is not based on political beliefs, but my Masters in American History) 

Actually, the Mormon's pretty much closed down Salt Lake City. The earthquake (March 2020) that toppled the Angel Moroni statue from the top of the temple and took the building off it's foundation could have something to do with it.

Since a lockdown in the US is not an option anymore, we never had to be concerned with the ability to return home.  Sorry to hear the concerns for Aussies when taking a trip out of their state.  I guess it is all part of traveling for now..  Lyle.are their lockdowns in Canada still going on?

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Did you get to Zion canyon, one of my favourites.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Did you get to Zion canyon, one of my favourites.

Yes, we did Zion and it was magnificent.  The twisting roads along the huge red rock formations were fantastic.  I took so many pictures, but nothing can do it justice.  We also were in Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands and Bryce. All different yet grand in their own way.

• Like 3

I have wonderful memories of staying twice at Bright Angel Lodge, a historic building, right on the rim of the Canyon, with spectacular views.  Going out in our nightwear to view the Canyon in different light was a highlight, as was watching people walk down the Canyon with ice clamps on their feet.  Staying in an Indian Reservation (Hopi) was another highlight.  I'm so pleased we got to enjoy a number of US National Parks, such as Yellowstone and Arcadia, as they are such special places.  Great idea to do that NP trip, Brandee. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have wonderful memories of staying twice at Bright Angel Lodge, a historic building, right on the rim of the Canyon, with spectacular views.  Going out in our nightwear to view the Canyon in different light was a highlight, as was watching people walk down the Canyon with ice clamps on their feet.  Staying in an Indian Reservation (Hopi) was another highlight.  I'm so pleased we got to enjoy a number of US National Parks, such as Yellowstone and Arcadia, as they are such special places.  Great idea to do that NP trip, Brandee. 

You'll be happy to know that the Bright Angel Lodge is still a magical place. I took dozens of photos from the beautiful back veranda overlooking the South Rim.  The veranda is lined with rocking chairs to just sit and breath in the view.  There is also a lookout that perches you over the edge for a fantastic "scary" view.  There are dozens of little cabins to rent .  Not sure they were there when you visited. You have to make a reservation a year in advance.  Next time (lol) I would love to stay there.  We rented a tiny cabin in Yosemite two years ago.  Nothing like waking up right in the middle of it all!!

Well I just thought I would throw this out here. For the 3rd day in a row we have been under 200 cases of Covid in BC (crappy by Oz and NZ I know) but we're actually happy. We have exceeded the criteria for the next 2 steps in the restart plan but will be following the dates as set out. We're at over 70% with at least 1 dose and the second dose cycle has been moved up. I put this info here because I wanted the regulars here to have an idea what's happening in BC without being preachy on the 2 covid related threads.

Continue to be safe everyone, I hope you get some leadership too.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I just thought I would throw this out here. For the 3rd day in a row we have been under 200 cases of Covid in BC (crappy by Oz and NZ I know) but we're actually happy. We have exceeded the criteria for the next 2 steps in the restart plan but will be following the dates as set out. We're at over 70% with at least 1 dose and the second dose cycle has been moved up. I put this info here because I wanted the regulars here to have an idea what's happening in BC without being preachy on the 2 covid related threads.

Continue to be safe everyone, I hope you get some leadership too.

Can you send young Mr Trudeau over here Lyle?