Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That was after the divorce, she lost the HRH part. Now even though I like that we (your country and mine) are constitutional Monarchies and I like the Queen and feel the next 2 Kings will be pretty good. I am more than bored with the extended family, most of whom seem to be settling in to a relatively obscure life with their respective partners/spouses. Of course that large country to the south of mine seems to be ever fascinated by the very Royal order that they kicked out more than 240 years ago so...

Actually, it's Hollywood who is interested in the second rate actress and her meal ticket..the rest of American doesn't really give a hoot.  Got enough ingrate, back stabbing people of our own. Wished they stayed in Canada.  Lol

11 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Now that is a Car.  Lyle.....  have seen one at a motor show some year ago, it look brand new..

all the younger people seamed disinterested... I was impressed...

Don 

They are beautiful machines and are reasonably plentiful (for a very rare car) at the shop across the road which at a different location under a different name but with the same staff is world renowned for restoring Mercedes Gull Wings. There's one in the early stages of a complete restoration over there now last I saw it was stripped to the bare body and bare metal. There is also at least one complete example over there but they don't usually park them outside unattended. I wander over every once in a while and have a look in the shop (not so much with Covid). They even have some American iron over there from time to time.

13 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Actually, it's Hollywood who is interested in the second rate actress and her meal ticket..the rest of American doesn't really give a hoot.  Got enough ingrate, back stabbing people of our own. Wished they stayed in Canada.  Lol

Here I thought you liked Canada Brandee 😎. They were living about 30 kms away from my place, we never saw them and never cared to. Maybe he can get a job flying helicopters and she can get another show on cable (Oprah could be producer)😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Royals and Cars.... what next electric E-Types....lol

Been in a series 1 E-type ... bit of an art form getting in the driver's seat

Don

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not nearly the ordeal as getting into a vintage Mercedes Gull wing. It is fascinating to watch

It's not exactly a lot of fun getting OUT of either one too.

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

I quite enjoyed the show Suits, it was clever and well written and I liked the character Rachel Zane in the first four seasons afterwards I feel the show runners didn't treat her character very well. She certainly had more talent than Jason Statham and he has managed to make a multi million dollar career literally playing the same character in every movie😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

It's not exactly a lot of fun getting OUT of either one too.

Likewise when I tried the fit of an MG Midget. I couldn't fit in a Honda S600 Coupe - my head was hard against the roof - but the roadster is OK.

13 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

While avoiding studying for an exam, I spotted this article posted in the Guardian today.  Apparently the Venetians are not so happy about the return of the cruise ships.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/05/angry-protests-in-venice-at-shock-return-of-cruise-ships

Yes it was just on TV News as well.  A ship of the size shown shouldn't be allowed to visit Venice basin, so I agree with protesting locals.  

• Like 2

That's one of the smaller MSC ships. 

I agree that cruise ships shouldn't go through that part of Venice, it certainly ruins the ambiance of the city, but it sounds like they haven't got anywhere with creating a new cruise terminal.

I wonder what the criteria is for determining what vessels should be allowed through there? Draft? Tonnage? Length and beam?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

While avoiding studying for an exam, I spotted this article posted in the Guardian today.  Apparently the Venetians are not so happy about the return of the cruise ships.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/05/angry-protests-in-venice-at-shock-return-of-cruise-ships

Heard that the Venetians were blind

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's one of the smaller MSC ships. 

I agree that cruise ships shouldn't go through that part of Venice, it certainly ruins the ambiance of the city, but it sounds like they haven't got anywhere with creating a new cruise terminal.

I wonder what the criteria is for determining what vessels should be allowed through there? Draft? Tonnage? Length and beam?

All of the above

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

@BRANDEE

Whats the boss up to?  Go see him for us down under.

We are getting a few stage show coming through here in Sydney.

Alianis Morissette,Carole King.

Jagged little pill looks good , I think I will get some tickets.

I get to listen to The Boss and the band members on Sirius XM everyday on E Street Radio.  They are talking about a tour in 2022, but no locations or dates.  Of course, I'm hoping he stays close to home ..so looking for a Madison Square Garden or Nassau Coliseum concert.  Bruce, Max Weinberg and Steven van Zandt keep talking about the remix versions of some of the "oldies".  I would love to see Carole King again, love her music..did you get to see the play about her career "Beautiful"?  

20 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Because Archie doesn't have a royal title, his surname is Mountbatten-Windsor.  Same with Princess Anne's grandchildren, who don't have titles.  Their surnames are their fathers' surnames. 

Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor - what a lovely name in honour of her great grandmother and grandmother. 

BTW in US Press it is always Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, sometimes followed by Duke and Duchess of Suffolk.  

• Like 1

Hows this?  91 year old lox lover has returned to work at Zabars now that he has had two shots (CBS News this morning).

Zabars is my favourite deli in NY, so you might like to add it to your to do list for your visit to NY. 

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Please let's move on from the royal malcontents.

I think the birth of a baby, esp great granddaughter of the Queen, is worth a mention.  I thought being a Canadian you were a Royalist like me, Lyle.  

• Like 1

Thanks Marion, I would be classed as a mild Monarchist. I have a great deal of fondness and respect for Her Majesty, I also have varying amounts of respect for her Children, Grand Children and Great Grandchildren. One Grandchild has chosen to to publicly rebuke the Royal Family and withdraw from royal life, that's fine with me. He's now LA Harry and his wife, now 6th in line to the throne. Meanwhile all the cousins are just busy getting on with their lives. 

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Marion, I would be classed as a mild Monarchist. I have a great deal of fondness and respect for Her Majesty, I also have varying amounts of respect for her Children, Grand Children and Great Grandchildren. One Grandchild has chosen to to publicly rebuke the Royal Family and withdraw from royal life, that's fine with me. He's now LA Harry and his wife, now 6th in line to the throne. Meanwhile all the cousins are just busy getting on with their lives. 

I visited London for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding at Windsor.  Bought myself a folding camp chair and had a priceless front row seat to hear the wedding and see the happy couple drive past after the wedding.  I have visited for other big Royal events also, so I'm definitely a Royalist, Lyle.  

One thing I noticed touring Canada, was all the photos of the Queen in public places.  You don't see that here, except in RSLs, CWAs etc. 

We love the Queen, Marion. Well most of us do, not so much in Quebec and there seems a growing number of republicans but our constitution is nearly impossible to change so I think we will be a Constitutional Monarchy for a good long time. I have gone to see the Queen on 3 occasions. And I was in instructor at HMCS Quadra when she flew in on a Twin Otter during her Royal visit to open the Commonwealth Games in 1994. I was part of the ship's company which "Manned the side" as her motorcade drove from our Jetty to the gate on the way to CFB Comox where our Ship's band (All cadet musicians aged 17-19 years old.) Played for her before she departed from the base.

• Like 1