Now for something completely different

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Thanks Mic all going well, just have to take it easy and can’t do much even online.

You will have to send up smoke signals mate.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Still around thanks Uncle Les, things ended up taking a turn and ended up in hospital a bit sooner than expected, after another one of these stupid mini strokes, but home getting lots of attention from my Maxy, who refuses to let me out of his sight in case I disappear again. 

Sorry to hear this Mr Gut. Hope you are on the way to recovery and feeling much better. Max will look after you.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Even funnier when I asked what destroyed the one that’s gone he turned the screen around and said “Well your neck I’d cactus”.

The actual strokes or TIA’ or anyone of about 6 other names are the scarey bit, can’t talk (or at best mumble), may not be able to move, can’t open my eyes, but am totally conscious and aware of what’s [not] going on

Very scary indeed. I hope they can work out something to reduce the risk of them happening. Take care.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Very scary indeed. I hope they can work out something to reduce the risk of them happening. Take care.

Yeah, not sneeze, cough or turn my head to the left, or get too tired or …..

Gut, they can do heart bypass so why can't they do a brain bypass, I wonder.

Come to think of it, I suspect I may have had a brain bypass shortly after birth.😁

13 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

It's called Taiko, just a little Japanese pub in Kingsland.  

It looks interesting. I love Japanese cuisine. Last time we were there we went to a Japanese restaurant in Ponsonby, Jankens. We have friends that live near there. Very nice food.

The one I've been going to for around 30 years (starting before I moved to Australia) is Daikoku on the waterfront. It's a fairly traditional teppanyaki restaurant but not too gimmicky, and one of the best teppanyaki I've ever been to. The prawns in a sort of eggy mayo sauce are to die for and I've always met interesting people around the teppanyaki tables there. It was one of the original teppanyaki restaurants to open in Auckland and is still going strong. Since then I've been to Japan a couple of times and discovered a wider range of Japanese cuisine but Daikoku always remains close to my heart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Gut, they can do heart bypass so why can't they do a brain bypass, I wonder.

Come to think of it, I suspect I may have had a brain bypass shortly after birth.😁

Bypass on the vertebral artery is one possibility, but it is pretty new surgery.

Mr. Gut, I hope you are recovering well and the Medical team working on your case can find an effective solution to your particular situation. Glad to hear you are home and on the mend.

Maxy actually has all the paperwork, qualifications etc for a service dog (though I think his public access tests may be out of date, but he’d ace the test) but I really doubt he would enjoy life on board.

We have had service dogs on a couple of cruises include one who was in training, and fakes on a couple more. But it isn’t easy in some places. It really does seem that some who Rorters the system are making it even harder for those with genuine needs.

NZ needs a Permit from the Dept of Primary Industries to take a service dog and lots of paperwork to get that permit.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It looks interesting. I love Japanese cuisine. Last time we were there we went to a Japanese restaurant in Ponsonby, Jankens. We have friends that live near there. Very nice food.

The one I've been going to for around 30 years (starting before I moved to Australia) is Daikoku on the waterfront. It's a fairly traditional teppanyaki restaurant but not too gimmicky, and one of the best teppanyaki I've ever been to. The prawns in a sort of eggy mayo sauce are to die for and I've always met interesting people around the teppanyaki tables there. It was one of the original teppanyaki restaurants to open in Auckland and is still going strong. Since then I've been to Japan a couple of times and discovered a wider range of Japanese cuisine but Daikoku always remains close to my heart.

We had the most dreadful teppanyaki experience on NCL Jewel in Jan 20 (just pre-Covid).  We had done it once before on NCL Star and enjoyed it, but this was like a conveyor belt.  Get people in, seat them, cook food, get them out.  I also felt very uncomfortable because the Filipino crew were dressed as Japanese and were doing a crude imitation of a teppanyaki performance.  My daughter-in-law is Japanese and I'm so glad she wasn't with us because it was pretty offensive.  The food was less than average and we felt quite ripped off.  I don't blame the crew, they were just doing their job, but the head chef and the restaurant manager needed to lift their game.

19 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

We had the most dreadful teppanyaki experience on NCL Jewel in Jan 20 (just pre-Covid).  We had done it once before on NCL Star and enjoyed it, but this was like a conveyor belt.  Get people in, seat them, cook food, get them out.  I also felt very uncomfortable because the Filipino crew were dressed as Japanese and were doing a crude imitation of a teppanyaki performance.  My daughter-in-law is Japanese and I'm so glad she wasn't with us because it was pretty offensive.  The food was less than average and we felt quite ripped off.  I don't blame the crew, they were just doing their job, but the head chef and the restaurant manager needed to lift their game.

Japanese food on cruise ships can be a bit hit and miss, as can any Asian food. We've had some good and some terrible things at Sushi on Five on Celebrity Solstice. But we did have wonderful food at Uma Umi on Crystal Symphony including Nobu's famous miso black cod. However I wasn't impressed by the most of the dishes we tried at Silk, the Chinese restaurant on Symphony. It was very westernised. We live in an area of Sydney where there is a great choice of Asian restaurants nearby so are spoilt for choice and quality. We lost our really good local Japanese restaurant though, a victim of the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

After 17 years, I have retired from my second career. Not sure if I have another career in me, so leisure time is full time from now on for least a while anyway.

Congratulations Mic on your retirement. Enjoy it while you can, even without the opportunity of travel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

After 17 years, I have retired from my second career. Not sure if I have another career in me, so leisure time is full time from now on for least a while anyway.

Good luck to you mate.

I have plans to retire July 1 next year, but I think I will not last that long before pulling the plug. My fear is the same as many - will I live too long & run out of money?? 🙂 Although, with no OS cruises my kitty is growing - it's quite cheap for a few days down in Uncle Les' country so maybe it's a goer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Now life really begins.😊 Enjoy!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Good luck to you mate.

I have plans to retire July 1 next year, but I think I will not last that long before pulling the plug. My fear is the same as many - will I live too long & run out of money?? 🙂 Although, with no OS cruises my kitty is growing - it's quite cheap for a few days down in Uncle Les' country so maybe it's a goer!

And you can always do the river cruise down there. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Well done, happy retirement old son.

• Like 1