Now for something completely different

Thanks for the video Lyndon. I have to admit I didn't watch the whole thing, it started to get painful. I'm happy that this person is apparently able to make a living building guitars. I'm afraid his trade craft makes me cringe, so high school woodworker.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the video Lyndon. I have to admit I didn't watch the whole thing, it started to get painful. I'm happy that this person is apparently able to make a living building guitars. I'm afraid his trade craft makes me cringe, so high school woodworker.

I was impressed because I'm hopeless with wood - measure twice, cut thrice, that's me.

That was the first time I've seen that done and now I find there are hundreds on You Tube.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I was impressed because I'm hopeless with wood - measure twice, cut thrice, that's me.

That was the first time I've seen that done and now I find there are hundreds on You Tube.

Yes I had some come up randomly one night, I took a look at the Ted Woodford videos. That guy has skill, and he plays really well, he usually plays a bit at the end of the video on the guitar he just repaired.

• Like 1

I am a Shadows fan, without that weirdo Cliff Richard.

About 30 years ago my wife dragged me into Sydney for a Cliffy Concert, he was on tour. I still feel sick.

Edited by NSWP

For lunch today I had my first feed of fish and chips since my gall bladder went bye bye. Flathead fillets and scrappy, made on the premises, chips with chicken salt.  Yummo. It's been two weeks now and I'm just eating normally. No adverse effects so far.🤞

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We decided to have fish and chips tonight too, our usual Halibut. 

Being a lifetime avid reader on many subjects I've read about the Halibut getting caught in the Salmon nets, and have been amazed at the size they grow to. Having watched a few TV series on the British North Sea Trawlermen I had assumed that the much much smaller Halibut they were catching were the normal size.

1 minute ago, Russell21 said:

Being a lifetime avid reader on many subjects I've read about the Halibut getting caught in the Salmon nets, and have been amazed at the size they grow to. Having watched a few TV series on the British North Sea Trawlermen I had assumed that the much much smaller Halibut they were catching were the normal size.

One of my co-workers is an avid fisherman and his largest was about 50 pounds but his average is under 30. They have lots of flesh and are easy to fillet. I have posted a picture of a rather uncommonly big one several times. I'm not sure if the North Sea variety are as big as the Pacific variety,

Talking about fish, I ordered some smoked cod, which I am partial to on my Woollies home delivery, but silly me pressed the wrong button on the puter, I only wanted 500gm, enough for a couple of feeds, they sent me 1.5kg, so I froze most of it lol.   I bake it in the oven, wrapped in foil with butter for half hour, lubbly jubbly.

We decided to have fish and chips tonight too, our usual Halibut. 

I had halibut with chips a few times when we were in Canada and Alaska. The Americans seemed to overcook it

Something different but cruise related...Princess have abolished Traditional Dining, that is a backward step IMO, another tradition gone.  TD in the MDR was always great, table of 6 or 8, second sitting.

What say ye.

25 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I had halibut with chips a few times when we were in Canada and Alaska. The Americans seemed to overcook it

I don't think I have fish & chips in the US. We have tried fish and chips in the UK and got a nice batch 1 out of 3 attempts. I don't know, we have sort of got 2 go to shops now but that is just us. There are several well known places here that we have never tried.

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

What say ye.

As I understand the new Medallion style of cruising - once you board the ship, at your first dinner in the MDR you can request the same table, time and dinner companions with the maître de.

Or, if this doesn’t suit, you can return to DMW (Dine My Way) again.

Personally, we will lock in a time and table first night in the MDR 👍

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Something different but cruise related...Princess have abolished Traditional Dining, that is a backward step IMO, another tradition gone.  TD in the MDR was always great, table of 6 or 8, second sitting.

What say ye.

We are hoping to enjoy a cruise on Caribbean Princess, New York to Quebec City in a little over a year. We prefer anytime dining and this whole "Dine my way" scheme is really making me think twice. They have foisted an app full of bugs on their patrons and now expect you to make reservations apparently months in advance if you have any hope of getting a table at your desired time. Even then the app is so crappy chances are the reservations you made will just disappear. All we want is to be able to walk up at a time convenient to us (usually around 5:00 pm and have a reasonable chance that there will be a table available without them all being reserved for the next 3 hours.

One of my co-workers is an avid fisherman and his largest was about 50 pounds but his average is under 30. They have lots of flesh and are easy to fillet. I have posted a picture of a rather uncommonly big one several times. I'm not sure if the North Sea variety are as big as the Pacific variety,

A quick search shows record for Atlantic around 480pounds and for Pacific a bit over 500 pounds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Talking about fish, I ordered some smoked cod, which I am partial to on my Woollies home delivery, but silly me pressed the wrong button on the puter, I only wanted 500gm, enough for a couple of feeds, they sent me 1.5kg, so I froze most of it lol.   I bake it in the oven, wrapped in foil with butter for half hour, lubbly jubbly.

Seems fish is popular ATM😂. I too had fish for dinner. A whole rainbow trout cooked in a terracotta pot. Rubbed it with some lemon myrtle, native basil and Dorrigo pepper leaf, so yummy😋

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are hoping to enjoy a cruise on Caribbean Princess, New York to Quebec City in a little over a year. We prefer anytime dining and this whole "Dine my way" scheme is really making me think twice. They have foisted an app full of bugs on their patrons and now expect you to make reservations apparently months in advance if you have any hope of getting a table at your desired time. Even then the app is so crappy chances are the reservations you made will just disappear. All we want is to be able to walk up at a time convenient to us (usually around 5:00 pm and have a reasonable chance that there will be a table available without them all being reserved for the next 3 hours.

Lyle...We always stuck to the TD, fixed time, second sitting which was around 7.30pm or 8pm, it varied ship to ship, year to year.  I saw the long lines outside the Anytime dining rooms, put me off ADT they started lining up at 4.30pm, blimey that is arvo tea time or happy hour time, lol.  Talking about Princess Cruise Lines here.  When you have the same waiters every night they look after you and having the same table mates on a table of 6 or 8 is good. 

Even if I did another cruise on my own, which is unlikely, no way would I sit at a table for 1, looking like a Nigel or a Dork, put me on a big table thanks, one and two top tables should be banned on the ships.

This medallion thing on Princess does not appeal to me at all, why the heck did they bring it in? 

Edited by NSWP

For us 5:00 is the evening meal and Lynn needs a fairly routine schedule for a number of reasons not just her diabetes. The medallion was supposed to make a whole new tier of convenience but they rushed it to market and it is just frustrating to many patrons. God help you if you have the wrong model of "Smart" phone or device. Even if you do have the right gear chances are the "app" will have a totally different interpretation of what you want.

It's not looking good for us becoming loyal Princess cruisers. That being said we aren't that loyal to any cruise line. We are driven by the itinerary and can we afford it.

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

For us 5:00 is the evening meal and Lynn needs a fairly routine schedule for a number of reasons not just her diabetes. The medallion was supposed to make a whole new tier of convenience but they rushed it to market and it is just frustrating to many patrons. God help you if you have the wrong model of "Smart" phone or device. Even if you do have the right gear chances are the "app" will have a totally different interpretation of what you want.

It's not looking good for us becoming loyal Princess cruisers. That being said we aren't that loyal to any cruise line. We are driven by the itinerary and can we afford it.

If you have any problems just talk to the maitre'd after boarding. Explain the situation and I'm sure they will find a suitable slot for you. Princess are very good like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Get yourself a recipe for Kedgeree, it has Smoked fish, Hard boiled eggs, Rice, curry powder and a few other things. Pommies in india came up with the recipe and used to have it for breakfast but it is a good evening meal. We have it now and again.