Jump to content

Now for something completely different


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

Stay safe mate - I'm still planning to buy you that drink in Feb 🙂 My sister & BIL were down your way last week - they had a good visit & did all the touristy stuff.

Best with all of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

All the very best Les.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

All the best, Les.😘

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

That's no good Les, hope all works out well for you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

Sending best wishes your way Uncle Les!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

 

Be well Les, best wishes from Lynn and I for a good prognosis with all your health concerns.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

Sending well wishes and good thoughts!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Nice to hear from you BRANDEE. How are you?

Thank You ..glad to hear from you. I am always popping in and out of the Australian/New Zealand Threads to see how all of you are doing. I have been doing fine and recently got my booster shot that gave me a full day of fatigue, but after that all is well. 

 

Hoping that Les gets good results from his tests.  I am sad to hear he is having health issues.  I always appreciated all the correspondence when I was planning my Australian/NZ/Fiji  trip two years ago!!

 

I have been very lucky to be able to travel as the US has many various rules depending where you live.  We did a three week road trip to the mid west in late spring and felt like I was in a different country...they didn't hear about covid, masks and self distancing.

 

Nashville, Tennessee (southwest) in September..we were only part of the 10% wearing masks at the Grand Ole Opry. 

 

However, our 3 week stay in Aruba last month, (and last Oct, too)was very covid careful...masks in hotels, restaurants, bars..but not at the pool. We had to test pre travel and again before we left Aruba to come home.

 

Here in the suburbs of NYC we do not have to show proof of vaccination for movies, restaurants, gyms etc, but masks are required in all schools and hospitals, doctors offices, federal buildings and on transportation.  Most stores still request masks and for the most part a large majority are wearing them when shopping. (I do) Wearing masks in church is optional..dah!!

 

In NYC, proof of vaccination is needed to go to movies, plays, indoor restaurants, gyms and working for the federal, state or city government (teachers, police, doctors, nurses, firemen).

 

As much as you can say we are back to normal..nope..we are not..Not sure what normal is anymore. Christmas shopping today, wearing a mask, is not normal.

 

Now that winter is coming and family get togethers, there will be an upsurge of covid..sadly it is starting already. There are constant tv commercials to encourage vaccinations and let us not forget the flu season started here.  

 

NYC has a very good rate of vaccination and the city was taken by surprise at how many 5 and up children came for vaccinations the first day..they ran out of vaccines.

 

Us seniors have the highest rate of vaccination but the 30/40 year olds are the worst...Don't tell me what to do!!  This does not include my kids and grandkids who are all vaccinated.

 

Most people have not returned to their office jobs yet.  Working from home is still very common. Only my daughter in law who works in a public school goes to work every day.  My sons still work from home (finance jobs with big companies) and my daughter in law who is in research goes to the lab a few days a week, but she is traveling back and forth to Ireland monthly (She is quality control and firing some people). Lol

 

I am booked for a Princess cruise in March to the Caribbean..I have over $5200 FCC due to expire May 2022..that is the extra Princess gave for the cancelled Fiji March 2020 cruise.  Princess also gave half my airfare back from Australia for the cancelled cruise in March. I used their EZAir.  So far Princess is requiring vaccinations for passengers or you wear a bracelet if you are one of the few who get a medical dispensation.  No children without vaccinations allowed. 

 

I read the threads often to see how everyone is and how Australia  is doing and hope all of you get to cruise and travel soon  Your government is gun shy after the Ruby..I guess.  Not sure what the "best" policies are. Controlling a country of 25million has got to be more realistic than a country of 335million..but so many lives lost here..Just plain crazy.

 

Hope you and your family have a great holiday season and get to celebrate together.  As always...wishing you and all my friends on the Aussie/NZ thread a healthy and safe year to come!

 

Brandee

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great to hear from you BRANDEE, and that you have managed to have some lovely trips away.

 

Australia is doing very well overall. 80% fully vaccinated and 90% have had at least one dose. Some of us are almost coming up time for a booster shot. I think vaccinations are due to start for the 5-11 year olds soon, they are just waiting for supplies.

 

NSW has 90.9% of those 12 years old and over fully vaccinated and the Australian Capital Territory has reached an amazing 97.3%. Victoria is at 88.2%, Tasmania is at 82.8%, but South Australia at 75%, Northern Territory at 71.6, Queensland at 71.2 and Western Australia at 70.2% still have a fair way to go. Of those last four states Queensland is the one that will block cruising for longer than we would like.

 

Cases in NSW seem to have stabilised around 150-300 per day. Victoria is still getting high numbers (800-1200 per day) unfortunately but they are coming down slowly. The other states have very few cases, if any.

 

Our Federal Health Minister has said cruising will start here by Christmas and promises to make an announcement confirming this in a couple of weeks. Of course most of here are laughing our heads off at that as we all know it can take up to three months to bring ships up to full operational status. But we are hoping to get some cruising from March onwards even if they are only cruises to nowhere, and restricted to intrastate. Sydney is the most likely for an early restart but NSW doesn't have many ports, however our new Premier seems quite keen to get cruising started our of Sydney. The Queensland Premier has already stated that only Queensland residents will be allowed to cruise on cruises out of Brisbane. 

 

In NSW fully vaccinated people have quite a bit of freedom but have to show their vaccination certificates at restaurants etc. Masks are still required on public transport, in shopping centres and other public inside areas. State borders still remain an issue, especially with those states who are lagging behind with vaccinations.

 

Fully vaccinated Australians are now allowed to travel overseas now but I'm not sure what places are viable in terms of not requiring quarantine etc. Anyway it's not bothering us as we're not planning any overseas trips in the near future. But we are hoping that we'll be able to get some cruising next year.

 

Happy holidays to you and your family. As always stay safe and enjoy life.

Cheers, Julie.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬


Not real flash Uncle Les.

 

Hoping that all turns out well for you.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

Take care Les and wishing all happy results with your tests. Sometimes the wait is worse than the results and I hope that is the case this time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

 

Us seniors have the highest rate of vaccination but the 30/40 year olds are the worst...Don't tell me what to do!!  This does not include my kids and grandkids who are all vaccinated.

 

Brandee, stay safe and well. I know from a friend in New York it has been tough there. She, after taking many precautions still got Covid and found it exhausting. She is better and got her vaccination when she was deemed safe to do so after Covid but it was still scary for her.

 

Same with us here in West Australia with age groups but thankfully all my family including my under 30yo sons understand the science and have been vaccinated, including one son who is a bit needle phobic.

 

Here in WA we have a slow vaccination rate. On the one hand we have been lucky because we have not had a problem with Covid outbreaks but sometimes that is a problem as some deny the problem thinking Covid isn't that bad which is very frustrating.

 

On a positive note my husband and I are vaccinated and we along with my 92yo MIL will get our boosters in January. We hope to travel over to the East Coast of Australia in February and Europe on a cruise in July. 

 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that more people will follow the science and not the anti-vaccination hype.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking of you, @NSWP Uncle Les, hope all turns out well for you. 

 

@BRANDEEthanks for the update, I'm in South Australia and we have been very lucky so far, our borders are due to open next week so I really think it is a matter of time until we start to see the cases in our area. I'm booked on a cruise August 22, it's definitely a case of wait and see still for us!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Great to hear from you BRANDEE, and that you have managed to have some lovely trips away.

 

Australia is doing very well overall. 80% fully vaccinated and 90% have had at least one dose. Some of us are almost coming up time for a booster shot. I think vaccinations are due to start for the 5-11 year olds soon, they are just waiting for supplies.

 

NSW has 90.9% of those 12 years old and over fully vaccinated and the Australian Capital Territory has reached an amazing 97.3%. Victoria is at 88.2%, Tasmania is at 82.8%, but South Australia at 75%, Northern Territory at 71.6, Queensland at 71.2 and Western Australia at 70.2% still have a fair way to go. Of those last four states Queensland is the one that will block cruising for longer than we would like.

 

Cases in NSW seem to have stabilised around 150-300 per day. Victoria is still getting high numbers (800-1200 per day) unfortunately but they are coming down slowly. The other states have very few cases, if any.

 

Our Federal Health Minister has said cruising will start here by Christmas and promises to make an announcement confirming this in a couple of weeks. Of course most of here are laughing our heads off at that as we all know it can take up to three months to bring ships up to full operational status. But we are hoping to get some cruising from March onwards even if they are only cruises to nowhere, and restricted to intrastate. Sydney is the most likely for an early restart but NSW doesn't have many ports, however our new Premier seems quite keen to get cruising started our of Sydney. The Queensland Premier has already stated that only Queensland residents will be allowed to cruise on cruises out of Brisbane. 

 

In NSW fully vaccinated people have quite a bit of freedom but have to show their vaccination certificates at restaurants etc. Masks are still required on public transport, in shopping centres and other public inside areas. State borders still remain an issue, especially with those states who are lagging behind with vaccinations.

 

Fully vaccinated Australians are now allowed to travel overseas now but I'm not sure what places are viable in terms of not requiring quarantine etc. Anyway it's not bothering us as we're not planning any overseas trips in the near future. But we are hoping that we'll be able to get some cruising next year.

 

Happy holidays to you and your family. As always stay safe and enjoy life.

Cheers, Julie.

 

 

 

Happy Holidays to you, too!  

Glad to see Australia doing so well regarding vaccinations.  Hoping you get back to the new normal soon.  I've been reading all the posts regarding the cruise restart/government schedule and feel your frustration. Take care and be safe!

 

Brandee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

 

Brandee, stay safe and well. I know from a friend in New York it has been tough there. She, after taking many precautions still got Covid and found it exhausting. She is better and got her vaccination when she was deemed safe to do so after Covid but it was still scary for her.

 

Same with us here in West Australia with age groups but thankfully all my family including my under 30yo sons understand the science and have been vaccinated, including one son who is a bit needle phobic.

 

Here in WA we have a slow vaccination rate. On the one hand we have been lucky because we have not had a problem with Covid outbreaks but sometimes that is a problem as some deny the problem thinking Covid isn't that bad which is very frustrating.

 

On a positive note my husband and I are vaccinated and we along with my 92yo MIL will get our boosters in January. We hope to travel over to the East Coast of Australia in February and Europe on a cruise in July. 

 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that more people will follow the science and not the anti-vaccination hype.

Thanks frantic 36!  Hoping we all get back to our lives as normal as normal will ever be again.  NY got kicked on its arse when covid started and coming back from the Ruby cruise and having covid was scary.  Hopefully more realize that vaccination is the way. Good Luck and have fun on your two cruises.  Stay safe and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

Thinking of you, @NSWP Uncle Les, hope all turns out well for you. 

 

@BRANDEEthanks for the update, I'm in South Australia and we have been very lucky so far, our borders are due to open next week so I really think it is a matter of time until we start to see the cases in our area. I'm booked on a cruise August 22, it's definitely a case of wait and see still for us!

Hoping all my Aussie friends keep safe and get back to living the life.  Be safe and Happy Holidays!

 

Brandee

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2021 at 8:57 AM, NSWP said:

Hi all, been AWOL for a week, had to go to Canberra last week for a couple of days, medical consultations etc. I have more visits there in the coming weeks, MRI/Biopsies etc, a few big hurdles to jump.

 

Cheers.😬

Stay strong Uncle Les, I’m a long way from you, but if I can do anything at all, yell.

 

As an aside Mrs G was teaching a class on Crime and Punishment the other day and they watched a short video on the Faraday School kidnapping, and came home a bit excited because your mat Garlo was in it when he was just 15.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

G'day all, well we are experiencing yet another "atmospheric river" as part of our "storm parade". We have not recovered from the first one yet and the third is starting. I think we are better prepared this time though with sand bags and also inflatable dikes. I still think there will be many people in a world of hurt, some will be underwater again (still).

We had our first vaccinations of children aged 5-11 today in BC so that is another step in the right direction. This has changed our vaccinated statistics because there is now a whole new group of "eligible" British Columbians. Of course now we have the Omicron variant which has thrown a wrench in everything, more because it's properties are unknown than anything else. Of course the press has jumped on this and paint it as the new apocalypse without any actual indication that it is more contagious, deadly or vaccine resistant. I think we will carry on as before until science tells us how to proceed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Of course the press has jumped on this and paint it as the new apocalypse without any actual indication that it is more contagious, deadly or vaccine resistant. I think we will carry on as before until science tells us how to proceed.

I am a image.jpeg.930cf233547cdc9168a135284b04cc23.jpeg

I am, like you and, not paying any attention to the headline grabbing media outlets. Time will tell.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The press and electronic media are going insane and mental over this omicron thing. I turned the Sunrise show off this morning tired of Kochie and the rest of the idiots going on about it.  They are sending people into a panic.

 

What next a run on TP?  I still have stock left..

 

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

What next a run on TP?  I still have stock left..

Funnily enough, I realised I was down to the second to last roll and bought a pack the other day "just in case". I'm working that much, I'm not home to use much at the moment anyway!

Started at midnight last night and won't knock off until 4pm, then back at midnight tonight, nearly looking for match sticks except they banned smoking here a couple of years ago so no joy there either!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...