Cruise Critic Community
Blackduck59

Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ah yes but just like a cockroach it is hard to kill and it will be back. And as a host city Melbourne will endure a few weeks of inconvenience in exchange for  the revenue it brings. I'm guessing Leigh and Docker123 get the heck out of town during race weekend.

It doesn't affect us in any way as we live quite a way from the track (about 30 kms) but my daughter's and son's former work place and now my daughter in law's work place (Melbourne Sports and Aquatics Centre) has to close down during the race time for a few days because of the noise and the difficulty of getting there. My daughter who was still working there one year had to go in and I caught a tram out to meet her on the Friday before the big race late in the afternoon as we were heading off to the football in the evening. There was still racing going on and the noise was horrendous. 

Leigh

How long ago Leigh? I'm told that the V6 Turbo Hybrid power units they use now are quite a bit quieter than the Normally aspirated engines they used before. Many race fans complain that the new cars are too quiet. I have never been to an F1 race but I have been to the Indycar races in Vancouver back in the early 90s. They were loud but sweet music to a gear head. I'm told the F1 engines where quite a lot louder. I enjoy racing and was actually in Belgium 1 year during the race weekend and between tickets and the ridiculously jacked up prices for accommodation it would have cost us $2,500.00 more for the 3 day event. That's a little rich for my blood, considering we were already on the ground in Belgium.

Edited by Blackduck59
typo

We had the best couple of days, Lynn's nephew came from Kelowna with his wife and 4 kids (under age 11), what a great visit. Yesterday evening they arrived after a 6 hour journey. I bought some Coho and Sockeye salmon and planked it on alder wood on the barbeque. I also got some Ahi tuna and seared it on my special searing burner. I made a nice potato salad with baby potatoes that I roasted on the barbeque in foil pouches. Tonight it was take out Halibut and Chips. Our nephew and his family don't eat meat or poultry so fresh fish is a real treat for them, Kelowna is a long way from the sea. Such a pleasure to have them here for a couple of days.

Edited by Blackduck59

The Grand Prix is always hailed as bringing financial benefits. Except there is no full disclosure of costs and benefits. Everything is commercial in confidence and/or exempt from freedom of information. One piece of information that slipped out is that attendance can be highly over-reported. It seemed everyone working onsite had to scan in and became part of the official crowd.

some of the impacts relate to the closing of large areas of community sporting fields for 3 months for the set up and takedown. Plus repair of subsequent damage to the grounds.

Noise remains a significant issue. Local schools close, impacts on business etc. On the map below, I live in Williamstown. The track runs around Albert Park Lake, shown on the right. Nothing but open water in between. I can assure you, the one day of practice this year was well and truly heard, and not appreciated.

4A373572-ACE0-4D7A-A527-690D3CE66C36.jpeg.287c5a72ecda3d8be80074640222c790.jpeg

Imagine what it must like in Monaco, where the houses and apartments rise steeply up from sea level. From memory the Grand Prix route runs along that line of palms at rhe bottom of the picture.

IMG_1149.JPG

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

How long ago Leigh? I'm told that the V6 Turbo Hybrid power units they use now are quite a bit quieter than the Normally aspirated engines they used before. Many race fans complain that the new cars are too quiet. I have never been to an F1 race but I have been to the Indycar races in Vancouver back in the early 90s. They were loud but sweet music to a gear head. I'm told the F1 engines where quite a lot louder. I enjoy racing and was actually in Belgium 1 year during the race weekend and between tickets and the ridiculously jacked up prices for accommodation it would have cost us $2,500.00 more for the 3 day event. That's a little rich for my blood, considering we were already on the ground in Belgium.

Perhaps 20 years Lyle. 

Our Nephew and family have gone home and there is a strange quiet in the house (even while I watched the F1 race). Now that our flock of fish eaters have gone home, time for some nice steak. Certified Angus Beef strip loin, I will grill them on the Barbeque along with some corn on the cob and re-heat those baby potatoes I didn't use in the salad. Yummy

Edited by Blackduck59

F1 is something that could easily be done with CGI. Would anyone notice the difference?

I'm looking forward to the MotoGP restart 19/7 in Spain. Now that's racing!

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

F1 is something that could easily be done with CGI. Would anyone notice the difference?

I'm looking forward to the MotoGP restart 19/7 in Spain. Now that's racing!

It's a little hard to find MotoGP for me. I do find it fun to watch when I can find it. I always marveled at the side car GP riders that takes a special kind of outrageous to do. Do they even do that anymore? My favourite is Unlimited Hydroplanes.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Les, watching water rats. Nemesis features prominently.

Yep, Launch Nemesis, been a few Sydney police launches by that name in the past 100 years. I had a couple of jaunts on the Nemesis pre Olympic planning and during the Sydney 2000 Olympics.  I did not like the Water Rats show much, watchable but not great.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's a little hard to find MotoGP for me. I do find it fun to watch when I can find it. I always marveled at the side car GP riders that takes a special kind of outrageous to do. Do they even do that anymore? My favourite is Unlimited Hydroplanes.

When the MotoGP is on in Europe we only get the main event live. It usually has a 3pm start and adding another 8 or 9 hours to that means we get in the wee small hours.

I've only ever been to one which was at Donning Park UK near Utoxeter I think. It was fantastic to watch a fellow Aussie, World Champion Casey Stoner riding for Ducati, blow the opposition away. However trophy presentation left us with a bad taste in our mouths when the Pommy crowd booed Casey. The pommie's  favoured rider (Towsland was his name IIRC) crashed in practice, crashed in qualifying then, to top it off, crashed in the first corner of the main event. Poor losers me thinks.