Now for something completely different

Les true to my word I wil keep the car talk over here. I didn't really have the humble beetle in mind, the cars across the road usually are of a much higher pedigree. I watch enough Formula 1 coverage with British commentators I probably heard the answer many times and it didn't click. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Even with Tiger Beer? I have always seen it chilled in the 375ml stubby bottles in hotels, restaurants and 711 stores. in Singapore.

Yes, even with Tiger Beer. It was in a very popular local restaurant, not one tourists usually go to. A local friend took us there. It was one of the local hotspots. You had to start queuing around 11:15am to get a table when it open at midday. Great food. 

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, even with Tiger Beer. It was in a very popular local restaurant, not one tourists usually go to. A local friend took us there. It was one of the local hotspots. You had to start queuing around 11:15am to get a table when it open at midday. Great food. 

That woudn't have been nice standing in the heat and humidity. Probably just as well the food is good. 

Leigh

One very hot and humid day I was looking to get some dinner in Singapore after various wandering around.

I was in one of the markets under the residential towers in China Town.  Drinks stall holder looked at me and she asked/stated : you an Australian. You need beet.

She was correct.

13 hours ago, Docker123 said:

One very hot and humid day I was looking to get some dinner in Singapore after various wandering around.

I was in one of the markets under the residential towers in China Town.  Drinks stall holder looked at me and she asked/stated : you an Australian. You need beet.

She was correct.

Beet? I thought more like Tiger Beer or a Clown Rarger and flied lice.

Edited by NSWP

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The popular food courts in Singapore are real busy and almost insane.

Yes, some of them are, especially in the evenings. Most of the trips I did to Singapore were tag-along trips when my DH went there on business. We often got together with his colleagues for dinner. There were some memorable crab feasts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, some of them are, especially in the evenings. Most of the trips I did to Singapore were tag-along trips when my DH went there on business. We often got together with his colleagues for dinner. There were some memorable crab feasts.

Singapore Chilli Crab, now you are talking.   You would probably get a good deal on one of those now in China Town - Sydney, not many folk around there currently.

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Now you're talking. Nothing like a good Chilli Crab, or two washed down with a few coldies.

Where to Find the Best Chilli Crab in Singapore | Travel Insider

I would a decent well chilled Semillon Sauvignon Blanc would accompany the above Chili Crab.  Perhaps even one of my quaffers, Hardys Stamp.

Okay how spicy is said Crab? I like a little zip but too much just overpowers the flavour of the crab. For spicy I'm likely to pour a well chilled Pinot Gris. What kind of crab do they use? We have Dungeness here and we usually just use butter, although our Asian community seems to have black bean sauce with it. Beer pairs well with that.

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay how spicy is said Crab? I like a little zip but too much just overpowers the flavour of the crab. For spicy I'm likely to pour a well chilled Pinot Gris. What kind of crab do they use? We have Dungeness here and we usually just use butter, although our Asian community seems to have black bean sauce with it. Beer pairs well with that.

Local crabs I suppose Lyle, I don't really know.  You would pay a lot of money for a dish like that in Sydney China Town, maybe $150. Out of my league.  You would not get a dish like that down here, Lyle, for Chinese cuisine it is beef and black bean sauce or chicken chow mein territory.  None of that expensive stuff.

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well it is Chilli Crab mate, so plenty of heat, it would make you sweat.  If not hot enough you could always as for fresh extra hot chillis on the side.

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Too spicy, black bean sauce is quite nice with crab. I don't think it is $150.00, probably $100.00 in a restaurant for a whole fresh crab that they will fish out of the live tank and cook for you.

Harry's Chilli Crabs in Sydney is currently charging around $140 a kilo for their crabs in the restaurant, I suppose that is cooked and dressed etc.  Harry's is legendary.  Their website shows market price, but Tripadvisor reviews report the recent prices.

Sea food is expensive in Sydney, Lyle. A lot of it is exported and they get top dollar.  Save your dollars up for when you get here if you want to try our seafood.  Google a few seafood prices in Sydney, see what I mean.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

The most common is the Mud Crab. They are found near mangrove forests. They can grow to a large size and have very powerful claws. I have caught them in Northern NSW. You just have to be careful handling them.

Catch and Cook Mudcrabs | | Micks Gone Bush

Size - Mud Crab can reach a maximum size of approximately 24 centimetres carapace width and 3.5 kilograms in weight. Characteristics - Mud Crab are a member of the family Portunidae. They are large crabs with a smooth, broad carapace and possess sizeable claws used for crushing and cutting prey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The most common is the Mud Crab. They are found near mangrove forests. They can grow to a large size and have very powerful claws. I have caught them in Northern NSW. You just have to be careful handling them.

Catch and Cook Mudcrabs | | Micks Gone Bush

Size - Mud Crab can reach a maximum size of approximately 24 centimetres carapace width and 3.5 kilograms in weight. Characteristics - Mud Crab are a member of the family Portunidae. They are large crabs with a smooth, broad carapace and possess sizeable claws used for crushing and cutting prey.

Scary monsters, think I will stay with the tinned crab from Woollies, ok in a sambo, a darn sight cheaper @ $4 and I won't lose a finger from the crab, unless the can opener attacks me, oh yes, the ring pull these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I would a decent well chilled Semillon Sauvignon Blanc would accompany the above Chili Crab.  Perhaps even one of my quaffers, Hardys Stamp.

You don't drink wine with Chilli Crab, only Tiger Beer!

Singapore actually has two famous crab dishes, the other is Black Pepper Crab. Just as delicious but not as gooey.