Now for something completely different

I wish Uncle Les, those are just a few of the works of automotive art that are seen from time to time in the shop across the road from the shop where I work. The silver and black drop head coupe is a Lagonda and the white ribbon is 3rd place at Pebble Beach.

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I wish Uncle Les, those are just a few of the works of automotive art that are seen from time to time in the shop across the road from the shop where I work. The silver and black drop head coupe is a Lagonda and the white ribbon is 3rd place at Pebble Beach.

Noted, Lyle, you are just a hard workin' man then, like most of us on here were and some still are, like young Mic and Mr Walker, I do believe.

Uncle Les was lucky enough to retire aged 55 yrs young.  36 years in the front line 👮‍♂️ was enough for me, thank you. I still have nightmares.

Edited by NSWP

Good on ya Les, 55 was 6 years ago for me. I have some friends who have retired. Coast Guard types at age 55, One buddy I was in school with and Cadets, he retired out of the RCMP last fall (age 60) with the rank of inspector. Retirement feels a long way off just now and if I did retire, what would I do? Can't go anywhere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Actually I like the look of the second one, looks like one of those big convertibles,

You could probably afford one of those Mr Gut.  Just get Max on the table scraps, no more of that 5 star dog food from Aldi.

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Good on ya Les, 55 was 6 years ago for me. I have some friends who have retired. Coast Guard types at age 55, One buddy I was in school with and Cadets, he retired out of the RCMP last fall (age 60) with the rank of inspector. Retirement feels a long way off just now and if I did retire, what would I do? Can't go anywhere.

Yep, Inspector did me, no more promotion normally after 55, unless you were a HQ man and drank with the upper echelon. If you know what I mean, wink, wink. Which I did not and I was never a HQ pen pusher, always in the trenches in various duties.   The superannuation did not get any more value, more importantly.

Your day will come Lyle, be patient.  Lucky we had 17 years of travel before disaster struck, been a bad few months, bushfires, covid, lost wife, sorry, don't want to dwell on. Crikey 2 and a half hours to wine o clock.🍷 But it is cool and windy could be a Chivas Regal happy hour(s.)🥃

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Actually I like the look of the second one, looks like one of those big convertibles,

That is actually my choice too. That one is Burgundy colour the next one is the same model but black and the last one is the Lagonda that I have posted a good picture of, The Lagonda also has the steering on the wrong side.

The 2 Merc soft tops are probably almost affordable the Lagonda perhaps not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

You could probably afford one of those Mr Gut.  Just get Max on the table scraps, no more of that 5 star dog food from Aldi.

No Aldi junk for my boy, chicken breast and Royal Canin for him, and if there isn’t a Schnauzer on the beg forget it, his half sister is featured on one brand’s packaging.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No Aldi junk for my boy, chicken breast and Royal Canin for him, and if there isn’t a Schnauzer on the beg forget it, his half sister is featured on one brand’s packaging.

You spoil him mate, he is a dog you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting photos By the Bay. Cool on the one hand and down right scary on the other. I think I saw some video once of a shark checking out a surfer on a wave once. In any event, good thing I don't long to go surfing some day.

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Interesting photos By the Bay. Cool on the one hand and down right scary on the other. I think I saw some video once of a shark checking out a surfer on a wave once. In any event, good thing I don't long to go surfing some day.

Are their sharks up your way Lyle? Not loan sharks, real sharks.   Hey, a big quake up in Alaska yesterday 7.8, did you feel any of it? .  Apparently it gave Anchorage a good shake. 

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Are their sharks up your way Lyle? Not loan sharks, real sharks.   Hey, a big quake up in Alaska yesterday 7.8, did you feel any of it? .  Apparently it gave Anchorage a good shake. 

We do have sharks but not like that, dog fish are sharks but they aren't going to eat anyone. The biggest one I have seen was about 4 feet long.

We didn't feel either earthquake, the one in Alaska or the one off the west coast of Vancouver Island.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We do have sharks but not like that, dog fish are sharks but they aren't going to eat anyone. The biggest one I have seen was about 4 feet long.

We didn't feel either earthquake, the one in Alaska or the one off the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Thanks Lyle. Re quakes, I follow them via USGS.   I am interested in earthquakes, as during two of our four visits to Lima, Peru when my son was living there for 6 years,  we copped two big quakes, the largest being in August 2007,  when there was a 7. something a couple of hundred kms south of Lima, shook me up, even the Peruvians around us were worried.  Spent two nights sleeping in the park opposite my son's in laws house, where we were staying.  We were not going to stay in the 3 storey house, rockin and a rollin.

So I am very interested in earthquakes, but very fearful of them, I could not live in NZ, west coast of North/South America, let alone Indonesia or Japan, earthquake central they are.

Edited by NSWP

All my life I have heard "the big earthquake is coming", maybe it is, I don't know. I'm not going to worry about it. We did some special engineering for our house so perhaps we're okay. We do have a bit of an earthquake kit put together but don't really know how "prepared we are. "Ready Aye Ready"....I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

All my life I have heard "the big earthquake is coming", maybe it is, I don't know. I'm not going to worry about it. We did some special engineering for our house so perhaps we're okay. We do have a bit of an earthquake kit put together but don't really know how "prepared we are. "Ready Aye Ready"....I guess.

Yes, I can imagine most west coasters in the Americas are earthquake savvy.  In Peru from an early age the kids are educated in quakes and emergency drills etc. I saw a couple of drills in a school near where we were staying near Miraflores, Lima.  They were very disciplined. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

So I am very interested in earthquakes, but very fearful of them, I could not live in NZ, west coast of North/South America, let alone Indonesia or Japan, earthquake central they are.

You get used to them after a while but the big ones are scary.

I've only experienced the one 'quake (Newcastle). Scary at the time but was over so quick nobody knew what had happened until well after. I was working at Kotara Fair Shopping centre at the time and people thought that the aircon in Woollies had blown up due to all the stock on the floor instead of on the shelves.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I've only experienced the one 'quake (Newcastle). Scary at the time but was over so quick nobody knew what had happened until well after. I was working at Kotara Fair Shopping centre at the time and people thought that the aircon in Woollies had blown up due to all the stock on the floor instead of on the shelves.

The theories in the early stages after it hit were so varied, I was sitting in the car and though so me one backed into me, my wife was having physio therapy and they though a truck had come through the front of the office. Then it was a mine explosion, probably near on an hour before we actually heard it was a quake.

38 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The theories in the early stages after it hit were so varied, I was sitting in the car and though so me one backed into me, my wife was having physio therapy and they though a truck had come through the front of the office. Then it was a mine explosion, probably near on an hour before we actually heard it was a quake.

Until Newcastle, I didn't know Australia had earthquakes.  I was always frightened at the thought of earthquakes in NZ.  

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Until Newcastle, I didn't know Australia had earthquakes.  I was always frightened at the thought of earthquakes in NZ.  

From Google: there is an average of 100 earthquakes of magnitude 3 or more in Australia each year.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

From Google: there is an average of 100 earthquakes of magnitude 3 or more in Australia each year.

Leigh

Yes I've learnt that since. I guess we are lucky none have been in cities since Newcastle. 

• Like 1