Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes it was stiff brown leather, with metal parts.

Like a Gladstone bag, blokes used to take to work? I remember those from the 60's and 70's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes it was stiff brown leather, with metal parts.

It was a Gladstone Bag thanks Les. I googled Gladstone bag and it was the one on the top right. 
How could my grandmother afford a Gladstone bag?  She was a single pensioner bringing her granddaughter up with no Govt assistance, apart from child endowment which all children got.

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I was brought up with travelling bags being called luggage or suitcase, otherwise it was just a bag.

My grandfather was born in Yorkshire at the turn of the twentieth century. They moved to Canada when he was 5 years old I think. He always referred to his large suitcase as a "grip"

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Lisle, that is a mouth-watering image of ingredients.  What a delicious  feast.

on a more serious note,  we are all watching the terrible wildfire situation in your beautiful country.  I know at least one contingent of Aussie firefighters has left to assist;  we do indeed enjoy a wonderful mutual aid arrangement in times of need, and we’ve been so grateful for Canadian assistance when our bushfires are rampant.  Hoping and wishing the fires will be contained rapidly, and that you all stay safe and well.

We have a fire on the island that has been hard to control and is causing havoc on the only road in and out of Port Alberni, which also cuts off Uclulet and Tofino. It is not a good situation, the detour is a 4 hour drive on logging roads that are narrow and badly surfaced.

We aren't getting much if any smoke here at this time, the winds are coming from the sea so pushing the smoke back towards the fires. Of course that could change at any time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have a fire on the island that has been hard to control and is causing havoc on the only road in and out of Port Alberni, which also cuts off Uclulet and Tofino. It is not a good situation, the detour is a 4 hour drive on logging roads that are narrow and badly surfaced.

We aren't getting much if any smoke here at this time, the winds are coming from the sea so pushing the smoke back towards the fires. Of course that could change at any time.

Sending hopeful wishes.  Please keep us posted

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just now saw on the TV, we just had a large contingent from South Africa today. They landed in Edmonton so I assume they will be working the Alberta fires. President Biden also pledged support from the US so we are grateful for that. Any help is certainly appreciated.

Of course the usual load members from the US congress are beeking off about Canada and the smoke. Of course while we were eating smoke from fires in the US that was okay. All I know is we are doing what we can with a lot of help from our friends to get these fires under control. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

My grandfather was born in Yorkshire at the turn of the twentieth century. They moved to Canada when he was 5 years old I think. He always referred to his large suitcase as a "grip"

Dictionary - old fashioned - a small suitcase for travelling.  I knew what it was, but don't know why.  Maybe from reading, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We've made contact with Lyndon, we will go over to Vancouver to meet him on the 17th

That's great - hope you have a good catch-up. We will expect to see a photo 🙂 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Like a Gladstone bag, blokes used to take to work? I remember those from the 60's and 70's.

My Dad used a gladstone bag to take his footiy gear to training and games and then when he umpired after retiring from playing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thinking of you - we were caught up in bushfires here in 2003 - truly frightening and you are right, conditions can change in a second. Hope you and yours all stay safe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Thinking of you - we were caught up in bushfires here in 2003 - truly frightening and you are right, conditions can change in a second. Hope you and yours all stay safe.

18 Jan.  How could we forget?

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, Blackduck59 said:

We've made contact with Lyndon, we will go over to Vancouver to meet him on the 17th

Cruise is almost finished and so far weather has been excellent - no rain. We dock in Wittier tomorrow. I decided to bite the billet and take out HAL internet "Surf" package. It doesn't seem to be as easy to use as it was on Westerdam last January but it may be just me. Internet is very, very, very slow - dial up speed.

No complaints about service or food.

In LAX I managed find a shop selling SIMs so I bought the only one they had which was a LycaMobile which gave me 12 gig of data, usable in US and Canada. The stupid SIM only seems to work when it wants to.

I have only just figured out using my phone to access CC so I'll try and post a pic or two after we get off as we will have a few days in Alaska before returning to Vancouver.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Cruise is almost finished and so far weather has been excellent - no rain. We dock in Wittier tomorrow. I decided to bite the billet and take out HAL internet "Surf" package. It doesn't seem to be as easy to use as it was on Westerdam last January but it may be just me. Internet is very, very, very slow - dial up speed.

No complaints about service or food.

In LAX I managed find a shop selling SIMs so I bought the only one they had which was a LycaMobile which gave me 12 gig of data, usable in US and Canada. The stupid SIM only seems to work when it wants to.

I have only just figured out using my phone to access CC so I'll try and post a pic or two after we get off as we will have a few days in Alaska before returning to Vancouver.

Good to hear you've had excellent weather for your cruise in Alaska.  Hope you enjoy your land travel in Alaska.

On 6/9/2023 at 5:34 PM, possum52 said:

My Dad used a gladstone bag to take his footiy gear to training and games and then when he umpired after retiring from playing.

Yesterday I saw an original gladstone bag as part of the decor of a camper van at the Cooly Rocks On Festival.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My FIL had a Gladstone bag which he used for a while when he was a bookie at the dogs. It was de rigueur for bookies.

Yes they were used by all bookies I reckon. Glad your trip is going well.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good to hear you've had excellent weather for your cruise in Alaska.  Hope you enjoy your land travel in Alaska.

We have just docked in Whittier three hours early due to a passenger's  medical condition. Will be disembarking from about 6.30 in the morning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

We have just docked in Whittier three hours early due to a passenger's  medical condition. Will be disembarking from about 6.30 in the morning.

Can you go for an early morning walk prior to disembarking?  Daylight 5.40am.

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The captain said we should expect a storm from SW tonight and possibly rain tomorrow.

Edited by lyndarra