Royal Princess is not cruising to Alaska in 2020

I got this from my friend on the Royal Princess, who told me that the "Royal Princess was not cruising to Alaska in 2020"  makes sense in that

Alaska and Canadian ports are closed until at least July and Princess will not be cruising until then or later.  Maybe they will continue to

cruise to Mexico.  But it is very hot in those ports in the Summer months.

Greg

All cruises have been suspended thru July.  And if the world does not get this pandemic virus under control the CDC will extend the ruling.  

Thanks for the news.  I wonder if the remainder of the Alaska season is toast for all cruises.  I'm booked for late August / early September on the Star.  I already emailed my cruise planner to see what my options are for moving it to another date.  

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Makes sense.  Royal is not a good fit for Alaska and they would likely have problems getting 4000 passengers to book her each week even if the season does eventually get going.

Your thought about Royal Princess mirrors what many who have sailed aboard her thought prior to the 2019 Alaska season.  Really am unsure what the "final analysis" was of her season.  There were negative comments, but I recall reading positive ones as well.  

Holland America is making the same "gamble" that their largest Class of ship, the Koningsdam, will be successful in the Alaska market.  Time will tell.

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Your thought about Royal Princess mirrors what many who have sailed aboard her thought prior to the 2019 Alaska season.  Really am unsure what the "final analysis" was of her season.  There were negative comments, but I recall reading positive ones as well.  

Holland America is making the same "gamble" that their largest Class of ship, the Koningsdam, will be successful in the Alaska market.  Time will tell.

I was on her last summer.  We sailed outside Vancouver Island, we had to leave Ketchikan two hours earlier than originally scheduled resulting in cancelled shore excursion, and we stopped seven miles away from Hubbard Glacier for no apparent reason than there were a few bergy bits in the water.  I would not sail Alaska on her again.

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I was on her last summer.  We sailed outside Vancouver Island, we had to leave Ketchikan two hours earlier than originally scheduled resulting in cancelled shore excursion, and we stopped seven miles away from Hubbard Glacier for no apparent reason than there were a few bergy bits in the water.  I would not sail Alaska on her again.

Interestingly, we had a fantastic cruise on the Royal Princess to Alaska. I was freaked out before the cruise because I read so many negative reviews prior to the season starting, but we had no complaints at all. It was a great sailing. I'm sorry you had issues.

Having said that, I don't have a preference for what ships sail in Alaska. In fact, we are booked with friends from San Francisco next June on the Ruby Princess. 

1 hour ago, Cruiserkenn said:

I am booked on an Alaska cruise in September from Vancouver, and I am still hoping for the best.  That sailing is almost five months away.  Here's hoping...

🌝🐬🐋🌅🌞😼🛥🛳🇺🇸

Just remembered that I have my own Air Canada flight booked, too.  Maybe I will have to visit Vancouver and BC, cruise or no cruise.