NCL called me yesterday to collect a $1500 deposit on cruise that I just applied $5200 FCC from canceled COVID cruise

tbae

On the scale of totally egregious and unbelievable, this one is off the charts. I accepted FCC on our 4/12/20 sailing. Found a Jan. 2021 itinerary we liked, and thought 'lets get it booked'. We are platinum cruisers and have loved sailing with NCL. The total cruise fare on the new itinerary is $8009. RIDICULOUS, I know for a 7-day. AND this is WITH their supposed 30% sale and the 20% discount off if you book before whatever date.... Keep in mind this is the same itinerary, same cabin type as the one that was canceled by NCL that was costing us $5200. First one was on the Joy, new one is Bliss. That is not the egregious part though. So even though I only got the 25% FCC bonus on $334 of our total $5200 (LONG story, but our original sailing was scheduled a week later in time also an the Joy, (a 5-day to SF/Vancouver out of LA departing April 19) and it was meant to go to port of SF, and at the time, very early March there was a ship from Asia in the SF Port with LOTS of sick people. We panicked (husband has health issue that makes him more vulnerable), called NCL and they had no COVID plan in place just then, but had been getting a small team together to first look at possible COVID issues, my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) was a part of that small group. It was an up-and-down thing, on and off, they were going to allow us to change the itinerary (we naively thought then we could just go to Mexico a week sooner and it would be no big deal...what we did not know then....)  and then they were not going to allow it...- ultimately a few days later I was told I was one of only 2 total customers who were getting to change the itinerary due to concerns of the virus in San Fran. A week and a half or so later, all sailings were canceled through April 11. Our new sailing date was April 12. That was fun. NOT.  Eventually we all know sailings through what is it April 30? or May 15? are now canceled --and I just heard about the CDC 100 days things....anyway. So they won't apply the $125% FCC to the ORIGINAL $4900 for that 5-day. They said that is considered FCC and that I'd only get the 125% on the $334 fare difference to change to the 7-day we switched to departing a week sooner on the same ship, same port.  I am not happy about that, but that STILL isn't the egregious part). So here it is.  My FCC is what it is. Now $5200 or so. I am forgetting about the 125% bonus on that $4900. I told our NCL CC- I am tired of the drama and madness, lets just get the same itinerary booked for the Bliss in late Jan. 2021. Throw the $5200 on the reservations and lets call it a day. So she does that. But when I go into my NCL account online, I keep seeing that a deposit of $1500 is due by April 4. Meanwhile the transaction was done on like April 6 or 7 to get the new booking. So I asked her, on the late afternoon of 4/8, to check. Why was my reservations saying that...? Was it going to cancel out since it was clearly AFTER April 4 already?  So she calls me yesterday afternoon (on 4/9) and says "you were right, your reservation is off. We actually need you to go ahead and pay the deposit on your suite. It's $1500 because it's a Haven Suite. But I'll just need to collect $1166 today, since the cruise line considers the $334 to have cash value" Now she's a sweet girl, and I was not mad at her personally; but, after some stunned silence I said, "you have to be effing kidding me." Really!? Now what I did not mention was that they still owe me another $750 in a regular refund to my credit card for shore excursions we'd pre-booked, and pre-paid service changes which we're also canceled and they do not consider those FCC eligible (STILL no refunds of that to date btw) - so at this point they are literally in possession of $6000 from me--and they have the AUDACITY to call me and ask for a DEPOSIT!?? Of $1500!?? What do they consider the $5200 on the account!? I get that they think of it as FCC and by their definition that has no "cash value" to them- but it's cash value to me! I gave them that cash only 9 or 10 weeks or so ago...or however long it was. I think we booked it in late January of this year, kind of last-minute on the 5-day. Then the switch to the week-earlier itinerary to avoid SF port was done in very early March. The entire situation is crazy. And I have gone from having happy good feelings about NCL to being incensed. I was willing to overlook $1215 dollars of FCC and to commit to book another sailing with them right away -- like a total DUMBA$$ apparently. I was under the clearly mistaken impression that they were going to treat me fairly. Asking me for a deposit was the straw that broke the camels back. It is so beyond my comprehension how on earth they could even think to do that. SO the PCC said for me to just sit tight and she will call me Monday. What would you guys do? Just pull back all together? Can I change my mind and ask for a "cash refund" - although they will say that $4900 isn't eligible. I don't want to file a dispute on them, as I don't want to be added to their "No Sail List," it's my understanding that is what happens if you dispute a large amount with a cruise line. I mean at this point, I don't even know if I can take the $5200 in FCC and say to pull it off this reservations and just sit and wait for a future itinerary that is more reasonably priced. That is if they survive and are even around in 2 years or whatever. But I am not even thinking about that possibility. This whole thing is crazy. Thoughts? Thanks for reading this long thing...I just needed to get it out. Grrrrr......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PinoyCruiser said:

TLDR

What does TLDR mean? OH--just got it.Sorry. It's quite a story. 

Edited by tbae
figured out what the other poster was saying

Do not listen to the rubbish talked about charge backs, it happens everyday, I’ve just done one on British Airways because they have removed the refund option on website ,and the phone keeps going dead.

Amex we’re happy to protect a good customer.

This so called no sail list, if it exists will be for fraud, bad behaviour etc.

There is an old saying “Right first time for Profit” NCL don’t seem to be observing that!

• Like 2

Just now, Turtles06 said:

OP: paragraphs are your friend 

I came on to try to explain a complicated situation. If you can't say anything nice... as they say. Making me feel worse is not helping. I came here for advice. Is this not a community to support and share? 

• Like 6

Just now, Budget Queen said:

Plus,   can't follow.   🙂   🙂 

Sorry you can't follow it. It's rather complicated. Essentially I paid $5200 for a cruise. NCL cancelled that cruise. I applied to FCC to a new cruise. AND they want  deposit of $1500 on a balance due of around $2000. Makes no sense. There are several other complications that I tried to explain. I was just trying to get some fellow cruiser's insight and opinions, maybe support. That's not necessarily going to happen with such a complicated story. Thanks though--and best to you. 🙂 

Edited by tbae
typos
  • Like 1

At this point, I do not think you can request a refund if you already accepted the FCC.

You can call NCL directly or call your PCC to ask.

You should only rebook a cruise only when you have all your FCCs & credits in your account.

If $5,200 is all the FCCs you are getting back into your account, I believe you have 360 days to book a new cruise to use it before this FCC expired.

Since you said the reservation is off, is it still possible to keep it?

I would call NCL if you still want to go on that booked cruise or solve the problem.

You have some options here:

1.) Pay the deposit using your FCC, not the full payment if you still want this cabin type / cruise.

Since you did not pay the full payment, you can wait to see if the cruise price would goes down later on.

2.) The next option would be selecting another type of cabin on the same cruise if the "Haven" suite is costly.

Best wishes and luck to you!

Edited by poohdreaming
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks to me that NCL not only wants the cake and eat it, they want you to bake it, serve it to them and pay for the kitchen to build it.  It sounds like they do not consider the FCC to be real money and want you to give them more hard cold cash for your deposit and the Monopoly money for everything else.

If this is the case then I feel even better that I made the decision to NEVER cruise with them again.  I am hoping next week they will cancel my 5/16 cruise so I never have to think about NCL again

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is exactly why I took the refund.  Once they have your money in a FCC they can pretty much manipulate you and squeeze every nickel and dime out of you. Some people become enamored at the thought of getting an extra 25% in a credit, but really fail to recognize that this company will raise the fare by 50%. This is a business and they really don't care about you, they care about their bottom line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am waiting to get all the refunds (and FCCs and CNs) straightened out before I make any new bookings. 

Additionally, I am waiting until such a time as cruise lines actually start sailing with paying customers.  I don't want to keep going through this same scenario of booking, cruises cancelled and struggling to get MY money back any more times than needed.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 3

So if I'm understanding, you used a FCC on a 2021, January cruise that didn't cover the cost of the new fare.  After applying the FCC to the booking, NCL reached out to you for an additional deposit of $1500.  So basically, NCL wants more than just a paper FCC, they want your cash as well.  I don't think it's egregious as much as it is just annoying.  I get your position...why can't the FCC be enough to secure the booking?  But form their perspective, they are counting on cash grabs to keep them afloat (sorry) during this unprecedented time.  I can see both sides...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So if I'm understanding, you used a FCC on a 2021, January cruise that didn't cover the cost of the new fare.  After applying the FCC to the booking, NCL reached out to you for an additional deposit of $1500.  So basically, NCL wants more than just a paper FCC, they want your cash as well.  I don't think it's egregious as much as it is just annoying.  I get your position...why can't the FCC be enough to secure the booking?  But form their perspective, they are counting on cash grabs to keep them afloat (sorry) during this unprecedented time.  I can see both sides...

Thanks Georgia. You did get it right. Yes, they are going for a cash grab and it’s just wrong. Any yes, annoying for sure. I appreciate your perspective. 🌷

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, logan25 said:

Additionally, I am waiting until such a time as cruise lines actually start sailing with paying customers.  I don't want to keep going through this same scenario of booking, cruises cancelled and struggling to get MY money back any more times than needed.

This is exactly what we are doing.  DH wants me to find a cruise and hopefully a deal but I'm not putting any money on a cruise until I know they are up and running again.  This will probably mean that we do a last minute booking and I'm ok with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

At this point, I do not think you can request a refund if you already accepted the FCC.

You can call NCL directly or call your PCC to ask.

You should only rebook a cruise only when you have all your FCCs & credits in your account.

If $5,200 is all the FCCs you are getting back into your account, I believe you have 360 days to book a new cruise to use it before this FCC expired.

Since you said the reservation is off, is it still possible to keep it?

I would call NCL if you still want to go on that booked cruise or solve the problem.

You have some options here:

1.) Pay the deposit using your FCC, not the full payment if you still want this cabin type / cruise.

Since you did not pay the full payment, you can wait to see if the cruise price would goes down later on.

2.) The next option would be selecting another type of cabin on the same cruise if the "Haven" suite is costly.

Best wishes and luck to you!

That is what I thought I was doing, paying the deposit with the FCC. That’s the part I’m upset and confused about. That’s the part that makes no sense. We shall see how they respond. I appreciate your thoughtful comments and help. 🌷

• Like 1

A Similar situation is happening to us but with Princess. We had a B2B cancelled and wanted to make sure we could get the same suite for the exact cruise in 2021. I had to pay the deposits if I wanted to make sure we had the cabin we wanted. I did. When Princess eventually gives us our cruise credits, they say that it will be treated as cash and that we can apply it towards our future cruise payments. I’m hoping this is true, and that NCL will do the same thing if our July 4, 2020 POA Cruise is cancelled. 

• Like 1

A Similar situation is happening to us but with Princess. We had a B2B cancelled and wanted to make sure we could get the same suite for the exact cruise in 2021. I had to pay the deposits if I wanted to make sure we had the cabin we wanted. I did. When Princess eventually gives us our cruise credits, they say that it will be treated as cash and that we can apply it towards our future cruise payments. I’m hoping this is true, and that NCL will do the same thing if our July 4, 2020 POA Cruise is cancelled. 

I rebooked my April 11 POA cruise for later this year using my FCC. Even though I upgraded, the FCC was more than enough to cover the whole cruise so I didn’t owe anything. My booking confirmation shows a negative balance due.

My understanding from following several boards is that the FCC cannot be used for a deposit unless the amount is enough to cover the entire cost of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cindy said:

I rebooked my April 11 POA cruise for later this year using my FCC. Even though I upgraded, the FCC was more than enough to cover the whole cruise so I didn’t owe anything. My booking confirmation shows a negative balance due.

My understanding from following several boards is that the FCC cannot be used for a deposit unless the amount is enough to cover the entire cost of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ohhhh, interesting. That tracks with what’s happening here. I’ll be interested to see how things go on Monday. Thanks for thus great info. 🌷

I was also booked on the April 19 on the Joy (in the DOS, I was really looking forward to that view!)

Thanks for pointing out that they are making using FCC difficult, I was thinking of keeping FCC but the equivalent cruise in 2021 is more $

I'll wait until I get all my refunds, confirm they are correct and then decide if I am cruising again.

Hope everything goes your way with NCL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

Exactly, but you have the right idea now. You even said it yourself: 

I am glad you got some good advice and I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

So true! Lol. I need to take my own advice!… Thanks for the kindness, and sometimes all of this stuff it’s way too stressful and I just need to take a deep breath! Hugs to you! 💕

Tbae, not quite sure I understood, However I would be cautious, dont throw good money after very possible bad money,  if you must pay more for this cruise, do it on the last possible day.  These are strange times.  Good Luck, Happy Day to you

• Thanks 1