Cruise Critic Community
Pat King

How Many Cruisers Use the Stairs? Raise Your Hand.

Always. Except on embarkation and debarkation days when hauling carry-on luggage.

Rob

Less with recent foot issues but most of the time.

Roy

All the time.  

For exercise and to avoid being in the elevators with others who might be ill.

Keith

All the time.  It allows me to eat a little more.  😀

Much of  the time.  One of the reasons I stay on deck 7---one flight to deck 6. Two to deck 5.  But I take the elevator up to 11 and walk down.  I tell myself this allows me to have a cheese roll with butter.  Julia

31 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

For exercise and to avoid being in the elevators with others who might be ill.

Me too, at least for 2 flights or less.  But I do have to hang on to the hand rail, so that makes hand washing and/or sanitizing all the more important.

It is a triumph if at the end of a long cruise I can walk all the way up the aft outside stairs without seeing stars.

3 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Me too, at least for 2 flights or less.  But I do have to hang on to the hand rail, so that makes hand washing and/or sanitizing all the more important.

I don’t hold the hand rail but for most people they should for safety and do what you recommended about washing and or sanitizing hands. 

While on a video call with Anne Marie’s hematologist today (welcome to the new world of video with health professionals) she said maybe now more people will do what she has been forced to do for several years when cruising and on land which is to keep further away from others including no handshakes and hugging. Instead we use elbows. 

24 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I don’t hold the hand rail but for most people they should for safety and do what you recommended about washing and or sanitizing hands. 

While on a video call with Anne Marie’s hematologist today (welcome to the new world of video with health professionals) she said maybe now more people will do what she has been forced to do for several years when cruising and on land which is to keep further away from others including no handshakes and hugging. Instead we use elbows. 

Another cruiseline we sail has always promoted fist bumps instead of handshakes and runs wash your hands jingle videos on the TVs.  This was pre-Corona, mainly targeting noro, etc.

Last cruise on Serenity we always used the stairs except on BTO night when my tuxedo shoes and Ellie’s high heels weren’t conducive to several flights of stairs plus walking the length of the ship.  We try to always use the stairs except for such unusual cases. Really for the exercise at the time but now thinking about social distancing. 

The fun one is getting off the tender on deck 4, and climbing to Lido or Trident for lunch!

The knees say 2 decks up and one going down.  More stress going down than up.  But sometimes 2 down as well.

We always use the stairs.  Bob even lugs the carry-ons up and down the stairs on embarkation/debarkation.  I don't use the handrail, but do poise my hand above it so that I can grab quickly if needed.

🤚

Makes me work so I have never gained a pound on a cruise. So far it's been okay for me to not use the handrail, except after an evening at the Vintage Room. 🍷🍷🍷🥂🍽🍽🍽🍷🍷🍷

Is there another way of moving between floors? If so, my wife has never allowed me to discover it..... That makes another reason for looking forward to a future cruise!

Always. As we are generally on a lower deck, makes for great exercise on the way to Marketplace, Palm Court or the Grill, giving some justification for those goodies😀

Always have used the stairs even after several joint replacements for MBH.

No cruising weights weight gains for us!😄

I  always use the stairs, including on embarkation and debarkation days while carrying hand luggage.  The one exception is on formal nights, when I'm wearing very high heels.  I am something  of a germaphobe under the best of circumstances so I don't touch the handrail, unless the seas are extremely rough.

We always use the stairs.  We get strange looks from the crew on embarkation, while toting our carryons.  This is part of our formula for not gaining weight on a cruise.  It has also helped us avoid Norovirus by not touching elevator buttons or handrails.

9 hours ago, rljan said:

We always use the stairs.  We get strange looks from the crew on embarkation, while toting our carryons.  This is part of our formula for not gaining weight on a cruise.  It has also helped us avoid Norovirus by not touching elevator buttons or handrails.

Ditto. We never use the elevators and even in heels I try to not touch the handrails. We also have never gained weight. Healthy happy cruising.

I'm 72 and in nearly thirty cruises I've never once taken an elevator. Interestingly, the dozen or so longer cruises (17 to 30 days) weren't hard on my legs because they were mostly on small-to-medium size ships. You quickly get used to doing two or three flights each way, multiple times a day. But the five and six day cruises I've taken on a couple of NCL mega-ships damn near killed me! I still remember walking straight up from deck 5 to deck 17 on the 4000-passenger Norwegian Bliss. And my only reason for going to deck 17 was to use the gym! My legs felt like cement blocks when those cruises ended.