Cruise Critic Community
Bhavird

100 DAYS POLICY WITHDRAWN?

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why does 20 days really matter?

For some lines, it could mean up to three sailing's worth of revenue.

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

For some lines, it could mean up to three sailing's worth of revenue.

Which do you think would hurt more, return cruising early and have a COVID19 outbreak onboard that peters out to cities again, or wait until it’s safe and a good plan in place. Cruise lines in my opinion will be one of the last businesses to crank up just due to the logistics and layout on the ships. 

In my opinion 

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Which do you think would hurt more, return cruising early and have a COVID19 outbreak onboard that peters out to cities again, or wait until it’s safe and a good plan in place. Cruise lines in my opinion will be one of the last businesses to crank up just due to the logistics and layout on the ships. 

In my opinion 

Completely agree with you.  I just think that when they are given the go ahead, they will not drag their heals to start sailing again...even if, in the court of public opinion, people feel it is too soon.  In which case, it will be up to individuals to assume some responsibility for their situation and remain home.  This will send a powerful message to the cruise lines..more so, IMO that a CDC ban.  Some people will sail, many more will not.

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

In which case, it will be up to individuals to assume some responsibility for their situation and remain home.

I agree but the above doesn’t seem to be happening. The beaches are closed for the most part here. It was packed over the weekend. 

So - beginning April 15 the cruise industry will not sail for 100 days????    

7 hours ago, Bhavird said:
No Sail Order and Suspension of Further Embarkation; Notice of Modification and Extension and Other Measures Related to Operations

by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Editorial Note: The agency has requested this document be withdrawn from publication after placement on public inspection. The document will remain on file through close of business on April 13, 2020. A copy of the agency's withdrawal letter is available for inspection at the Office of the Federal Register.

THIS DOCUMENT WAS WITHDRAWN

It was originally a 120 day ban and it was changed to 100. The 120 day ban was withdrawn. The 100 day ban stands as far as I know. 

So I don't understand.... I read most of the ships except carnival are only suspended until may 17th.... I am scheduled to sail on may 24th and I haven't heard anything from RC.... is this order from the CDC a requirement or recommendation because it seems carnival is the only one adhering to it....

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Tntt said:

So I don't understand.... I read most of the ships except carnival are only suspended until may 17th.... I am scheduled to sail on may 24th and I haven't heard anything from RC.... is this order from the CDC a requirement or recommendation because it seems carnival is the only one adhering to it....

It is an order, not a recommendation (see below).  Your crystal ball is as good as mine but IMO the chance of any cruise ship sailing from a US port in May is zilch.

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register. See the attached order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 9 pages] for the full requirements.

Edited by bluesea321

I think it is sadly amusing that so much work is going on coming up with dates, and that people here are worrying whether June or July will be the final CDC choice. No cruising this summer, I am afraid, but I guess people want to pretend.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I think it is sadly amusing that so much work is going on coming up with dates, and that people here are worrying whether June or July will be the final CDC choice. No cruising this summer, I am afraid, but I guess people want to pretend.

Best post of the day. Thank you.

Folks, "good old days cruising" has two ginormous mountains ahead, and currently no game plan for either of them:

-- The virus isn't going away any time soon. (Beware the science-free optimism about quick cures and vaccines; we all want this to happen, but magical thinking won't make it so.)
     https://nypost.com/2020/04/12/chinas-new-coronavirus-cases-rise-to-near-six-week-high/

-- The "recession" is closer to a depression, so even if you're willing to sail ... you may not be able to quickly round up 3,000 others to join you.  And without at least some decent-sized numbers, cruise ships can't afford to sail.
    Unemployment is the screamingly awful number, but pay cuts and benefit rollbacks are horribly widespread, too. None of that says "lots of eager cruise customers lining up to spend money" any time in the forseeable future. (The rich are a different matter, so super-upscale cruises will resume as soon as the virus allows. But us mass-market folks on a budget face a different future)

The CDC order's timetable is sort of meaningless, but not in the way that the "optimists" here would like to believe. Read over that document again - carefully - and look at exactly what it finds deficient about the cruise industry, and what it would take to overcome those deficiencies.  NONE of that goes away June 28. It's not like the CDC (or its enforcement partner, the Coast Guard) will say on July 1 "Oh, all those big-scale, costly improvements aren't necessary any more. Sure, mass-scale health risks are fine now."

So far, the industry has shown no creative, powerful drive to improve itself ... instead, the cruise lines and their trade association have done a mind-numbingly lousy job of dealing with the urgency of their problems. All cruise fans who are angry/disappointed/worried about the future of cruising would do well to take their grievances to the cruise line executives - demand the companies start developing genuine, real-world solutions (not public relations smoke).

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut

This is a cruising forum so people are very optimistic about going back to cruising. Going back to the normal, regardless whether the conditions for safe return has been meet. CDC is just trying to protect people, land and sea from spreading the disease which will be around this year until a vaccine is found. The date is just a marker. With what we know about the spread, when the sailing season opens up again, it is just a matter of time before another ship is infected. CDC has already drawn the line that it is now the Cruise Line responsibility to provide medical treatment, evacuation, isolation and transportation back to home country. It is not the US responsibility like the South American cruises sailing back to Florida. It was the compassionate thing to do at that time. 

15 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Princess just announced their extension thru June 30

HAL just announced the same, all cruises canceled through June 30. 

And Miami Dade mayor has extended a waiver of berth fees for 30 days, to Port of Miami cruise partners. 

6AFBFEE7-4671-43FE-9A86-295D6C9CCDAA.jpeg

Stop arguing on here, whether it's 100 or 120 days. That's not going to matter. As we type, the cruise ships are going in circles a few miles off the Florida coast. Most if not all have active Covid 19 cases. They have no passengers, just crew.

If they can't keep the crew members from getting and spreading the virus. How on earth do you think they can take on passengers. I keep as rosy an outlook as I can. But the only way these ships are going to take passengers. Is when instant tests become readily available at a reasonable price. It could take a month it could take 6 months.

The cruise lines will have to screen crew at least twice a week. And all passengers before boarding. When the anti-gen test becomes available that could lighten the load somewhat. Due to those that are immune won't have to be re screened.  

Unfortunately, at the moment they have no clue if people with antibodies are immune or not. And many tests are apparently unreliable, confusing this coronavirus with the coronavirus for the common cold.

Upshot: We are a long way from a quick method of knowing who has it OR who has had it 

Posted (edited)

Late night, April 14.  The Titanic is about to hit the iceberg.  April 15, people wake up and can't believe the news.  

It will be very interesting to see what gets published by CDC 

Edited by LMaxwell

8 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Late night, April 14.  The Titanic is about to hit the iceberg.  April 15, people wake up and can't believe the news.  

It will be very interesting to see what gets published by CDC 

Unfortunate coincidence

On 4/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, firefly333 said:

Just my opinion, but I never thought it was the CDCs right to order cruises to stop for 100 days. Above their pay grade. Yes, they can recommend... idk about order.

I don't know how much power they wield but on one of our cruises where noro broke out pretty bad the CDC ordered our ship back to our port of embarkation which was Port Everglades and off we went back to Port Everglades, shortening our cruise by 2 days and never getting to a port.