Queen Victoria and Covid 19

Elephant1151

Received an email from Cunard earlier today stating  3 crew members onboard Queen Victoria had tested positive on 9th April.  We have followed government advice since our return and have not shown any symptoms.  No doubt everyone  onboard from Port Everglades will have received this notice.

Sadly this case of Covid was the result of 'new crew members' ( including eight bridge officers) who boarded the Queen Victoria between the 28th & 29th March well after the remaining guests ( including myself) had disembarked,   replacing crew members who's contract had come to an end.  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

Hopefully they are stocked up on masks for all  (or can make some from sheets) and have a ventilator or two aboard. The illness spreads mostly via droplets.   The recent US CDC memo to the industry was pretty harsh but accurately predicted this was to be the new normal and the lines better be ready to handle things at sea.  The recent Holland America experience was an improvement and they can in this case spread the crew out pretty well as there are no passengers aboard.  

It takes about five staff to run any 24 hour operation long term- what do you do if you have 4-5-6-12 people in an ICU with current onboard medical staff levels?  (Looking at the percent of infected people who might need more care).   

One thing they can think about industry wide - do you have some essential crew on standby - if you have an outbreak on the bridge or engineering or main galley, do you have a few chefs or watchstanders social distancing themselves and not eating dinner in the same room etc. who can take over.  

Where I live we have a very low infection rate.  Grocery shopping and take out food are still allowed.  One of the most important rules of cruising (gasp) will have to go out the window.  Take out food (i.e. grab and go) is probably safest.  Paper containers (remember those) can minimize the environmental carnage from vast plastic.  

Edited by ew101

It is sad when so many topics mention  coronavirus but guess that is the world we are living in at the moment. I guess that if the QV is a quarantine ship now we all need to wish the crew well as they are likely to be on the ship for quite sometime to come. 

On 4/19/2020 at 3:56 PM, Trevor33 said:

It is sad when so many topics mention  coronavirus but guess that is the world we are living in at the moment. I guess that if the QV is a quarantine ship now we all need to wish the crew well as they are likely to be on the ship for quite sometime to come. 

It must be a pretty horrible experience for the crew, as anyone who has seen crew accommodation on any cruise ship can imagine.  And also an illustration of how quickly infection can spread on board a ship, since it cannot be the case that all eight embarked already infected, the chances of which would be tiny.

5 hours ago, IB2 said:

It must be a pretty horrible experience for the crew, as anyone who has seen crew accommodation on any cruise ship can imagine.  And also an illustration of how quickly infection can spread on board a ship, since it cannot be the case that all eight embarked already infected, the chances of which would be tiny.

I would HOPE that with no passengers the crew are spreading out into passenger cabins.  It seems to be happening on other ships.

Roy

• Like 1