i just got an email from velocity frequent flyer to say 'velocity is set up in a way that safeguards member value by having a trustee that looks after the interests of members'.

I will be sad it Virgin goes under.  I'm a frequent flyer for both Virgin and Qantas and hope we continue to have two airlines.  

23 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

Virgin is in a trading halt .... just got my bank statement ...nothing from Cunard or Virgin   I recon  I am $10k down

Regards

John

What were you due? Refunds?  $10,000 is a lot of money.  

Edited by MMDown Under
5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What were you due? Refunds?  $10,000 is a lot of money.  

Yes Refunds (Sigh) and after those two we watch Royal to see if they crack about another $7k involved .. aint this fun

Edited by VK3DQ
33 minutes ago, mum and son said:

I don't think Virgin will come through this. They don't have any assets, and their planes are leased. How do you make lease payments without income?

reading between the lines the Government are NOT going to bail Virgin out  

44 minutes ago, mum and son said:

I don't think Virgin will come through this. They don't have any assets, and their planes are leased. How do you make lease payments without income?

And Virgin's leases are payable in US dollars. With the AUD down at the moment, payments are higher than usual while there is no income.

5 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

reading between the lines the Government are NOT going to bail Virgin out  

None of their main owners are Australian, are they? It would be a shame for Qantas to regain a monopoly here but I would rather see Qantas supported by the Govt.

I understand that Qantas like having Virgin in Australia because they are not considered a direct threat and it prevents another airline from moving in. For example, if a govt backed airline from another country moved in here, they would likely take business away from Qantas.

2 minutes ago, mum and son said:

None of their main owners are Australian, are they? It would be a shame for Qantas to regain a monopoly here but I would rather see Qantas supported by the Govt.

I understand that Qantas like having Virgin in Australia because they are not considered a direct threat and it prevents another airline from moving in. For example, if a govt backed airline from another country moved in here, they would likely take business away from Qantas.

From my understanding Qantas has little Aust ownership, like Virgin.  

Not sure of the %s of ownership.  

2 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

FCCs in the current climate are worthless dont you think???

I do think that.  But I'd like to think, if the cruise lines get saved, they would reward passengers with FCC who didn't receive refunds. 

After all they reward gamblers with free cruises, as well as travel agents!

Edited by MMDown Under
2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

From my understanding Qantas has little Aust ownership, like Virgin.  

Not sure of the %s of ownership.  

Yes, agreed. But for some reason I feel more alignment to Qantas as being Australian. Clearly it's just that kangaroo on the tail!

54 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Some of the cruise lines also lease their ships . The ones that do will be the first to go under.

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Some of the cruise lines also lease their ships . The ones that do will be the first to go under.

there are going to be lots of ships that can be leased before this is all over (smart ass comment) but have a think about it companies with just leases can walk away from things very easy

2 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Yes, agreed. But for some reason I feel more alignment to Qantas as being Australian. Clearly it's just that kangaroo on the tail!

That is just what Qantas wants you to feel.  All that beautiful Australian music, children singing in famous Australian scenes. 

The good side!  I love nothing more than getting on a Qantas plane returning from overseas.  Once, checking in at JFK, the luggage conveyor belt wasn't working.  The check in clerk was surrounded by luggage going nowhere.  Needless to say the flight was late and passengers were tired.  After the routine apology for what wasn't Qantas's fault, the Head Steward gave us a running commentary on what we would be seeing outside, if it wasn't dark. The mood changed, we were home!

The bad side!  American friends always got cheaper tickets on Qantas from US to Aus., than I could get from Aus. to US.  So I learnt to love other airlines!

46 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Yes Refunds (Sigh) and after those two we watch Royal to see if they crack about another $7k involved .. aint this fun

People are have a lot of heart ache with Royal .

What about insurance does it cover this kid of thing ?

Cruise Weekly has an article today by Gavin Smith MD RCL saying they plan/hope to be back in Aus for the Oct 20 - April 21 season and will be focusing on  past guests.  Apparently it was taken from The Australian.

27 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

The treasurer was just on the radio about 30 minutes ago. I thought that they were going to bail both out?? Not sure of the details though.

Sorry Sarah...but I think he said NO

2 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Virgin Australia is mainly [80%] owned by 4 airlines - Emirates,  Singapore Air,  Nanshaw  &  Hainan.  All with around 20% each.

I knew Singapore Airlines was a part owner, but not the others.  Where do the other two airlines, Nanshaw and Hainan, come from?

Just now, MMDown Under said:

I knew Singapore Airlines was a part owner, but not the others.  Where do the other two airlines, Nanshaw and Hainan, come from?

Ansett went under, so I guess we will survive if Qantas and/or Virgin go under.  If it costs too much to rescue Qantas and/or Virgin, would it be a better option to have a State Airline, which they've had in the past?  I'm yet to be convinced private does it better than public.  A given is Australia needs regular reliable air transport!

Just now, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Along the going under theme ...Burger King went into receivership today due to the lockdown in NZ .

Burger King is something else in the US isn't it?

That would be because of no take away I guess.  We continued takeaway here.  Our local cafe converted to take away but it has been hard going.  We buy Vietnamese Fri or Sat nights take away in support.  I buy 10 ingredient fried rice and banana fritters.  I save half for breakfast with beaten fried egg mixed in.  Yum!  Lucky the bakery is coming.

I'm waiting for free home delivery from the bakery, as I type this.