Looks like Qantas is "owned" by many people and corporations but not other airlines. Found this;

"Just 240 of the company’s 133,392 shareholders own 82.49 percent of the stock. Contrary to claims that some type of “shareholders democracy” exists, small investors have no say in the company’s direction or conduct.

The largest Qantas shareholder—with 22.72 percent of the company—is J. P. Morgan Nominees Australia, a division of the global J. P. Morgan investment house." - WSWS.org

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Burger King is something else in the US isn't it?

That would be because of no take away I guess.  We continued takeaway here.  Our local cafe converted to take away but it has been hard going.  We buy Vietnamese Fri or Sat nights take away in support.  I buy 10 ingredient fried rice and banana fritters.  I save half for breakfast with beaten fried egg mixed in.  Yum!  Lucky the bakery is coming.

I'm waiting for free home delivery from the bakery, as I type this.  

Called Hungry Jacks in Oz. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

That is just what Qantas wants you to feel.  All that beautiful Australian music, children singing in famous Australian scenes. 

The good side!  I love nothing more than getting on a Qantas plane returning from overseas.  

The bad side!  American friends always got cheaper tickets on Qantas from US to Aus., than I could get from Aus. to US.  So I learnt to love other airlines!

Agree completely with your sentiment. In Aus I only fly Qantas (preferably) but internationally I shop on price and service. 

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Burger King is something else in the US isn't it?

That would be because of no take away I guess.  We continued takeaway here.  Our local cafe converted to take away but it has been hard going.  We buy Vietnamese Fri or Sat nights take away in support.  I buy 10 ingredient fried rice and banana fritters.  I save half for breakfast with beaten fried egg mixed in.  Yum!  Lucky the bakery is coming.

I'm waiting for free home delivery from the bakery, as I type this.  

US Burger King is the same as NZ Burger King, and the same as Hungry Jacks in Australia, although there may be some regional differences.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

US Burger King is the same as NZ Burger King, and the same as Hungry Jacks in Australia, although there may be some regional differences.

I don't think they are owned by Burger King here. Trading under licence I think. There was a stoush here in Oz between Hungry Jacks and Burger King where IIRC Burger King wanted Hungry Jacks to trade under the Burger King name. Hungry Jacks won that one in court so they continue to trade as HJs.

28 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I don't think they are owned by Burger King here. Trading under licence I think. There was a stoush here in Oz between Hungry Jacks and Burger King where IIRC Burger King wanted Hungry Jacks to trade under the Burger King name. Hungry Jacks won that one in court so they continue to trade as HJs.

It's a franchise. When it started up in Australia the Burger King name had already been trademarked by a takeaway shop in Adelaide. But, yes, there was a stoush later.

Both Hainan & Nanshan are Chinese companies but only Hainan is an airline.

It has made a name for itself since launching as a domestic carrier from the area of the same name in 1993.

Named a 5* airline by Skytrax for 9 consecutive years.

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Ok, I am sorry but they ar enot the same lol. I ve been to Australia three years ago and it was a totally different place. Different burgers and fries. Only soda was the same. In any case, I doubt that they belong to each other. You must be confusing it with something else. Once I thought that Carl Junior and Jack in the box was the same thing.. especially during their TACO compaign.

8 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Ok, I am sorry but they ar enot the same lol. I ve been to Australia three years ago and it was a totally different place. Different burgers and fries. Only soda was the same. In any case, I doubt that they belong to each other. You must be confusing it with something else. Once I thought that Carl Junior and Jack in the box was the same thing.. especially during their TACO compaign.

Perhaps instead of laughing, a quick google search would have found this - 

https://www.hungryjacks.com.au/about-hj-s

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/restaurants-bars/how-a-random-us-brand-became-the-household-name-hungry-jacks-in-australia/news-story/cef292929099d8dd2a9ff60b8deaf93e

Edited by possum52
4 hours ago, mum and son said:

I don't think Virgin will come through this. They don't have any assets, and their planes are leased. How do you make lease payments without income?

Virgin said early on they had many millions which would sustain those payments for about 6 months.

Beyond that is the issue.

3 hours ago, mum and son said:

None of their main owners are Australian, are they? It would be a shame for Qantas to regain a monopoly here but I would rather see Qantas supported by the Govt.

I understand that Qantas like having Virgin in Australia because they are not considered a direct threat and it prevents another airline from moving in. For example, if a govt backed airline from another country moved in here, they would likely take business away from Qantas.

Given all the smack talk thrown out from Qantas towards Virgin, which has damaged their customer base and prospects, that doesn't seem to be the case. 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

From my understanding Qantas has little Aust ownership, like Virgin.  

Not sure of the %s of ownership.  

To be fair, Qantas has less, closer to 40-50%, whereas Virgin has close to 90%. But Qantas had previously made requests for the government to remove their foreign ownership cap - yet now try to play on being Australian.

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Ok, I am sorry but they ar enot the same lol. I ve been to Australia three years ago and it was a totally different place. Different burgers and fries. Only soda was the same. In any case, I doubt that they belong to each other. You m

ust be confusing it with something else. Once I thought that Carl Junior and Jack in the box was the same thing.. especially during their TACO

Fair enough, it's a very, very long time since I had those sorts of burgers. I'm not a burger fan at the best of times.

But it did originate from the US Burger King way back.

11 hours ago, mum and son said:

I don't think Virgin will come through this. They don't have any assets, and their planes are leased. How do you make lease payments without income?

They own around half of their 737 fleet, and most of their 777s (maybe all, it's been a while since I checked). Wherever this info is coming from that they don't own anything, it's incorrect.

Just now, gogo65 said:

My decision is do I buy gift cards with all my points.....

I have already cashed out my points for goods and gift cards. Missed out transferring them to Singapore Airlines. I have noticed that the range on offer has diminished in the last few weeks.

I received a refund today from Virgin from our cancelled flight in June. I assumed it would be a flight credit but no, refund paid into our bank account. The flight was paid with both cash and points but it looks like we lost our points. Also have a flight credit from Qantas but once again points used seem to be gone. We cancelled both flights not the flight operators.

Leigh

Leigh - I'm glad you got a refund. I will be chasing Qantas for my large refund for international flights. Nothing yet.

I just heard on the news that the Federal Government is going to underwrite Virgin operating limited services between Brisbane and Sydney. The government will guarantee that the airline will not lose money operating the services, but they will not guarantee the future of the airline.

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Leigh - I'm glad you got a refund. I will be chasing Qantas for my large refund for international flights. Nothing yet.

I just heard on the news that the Federal Government is going to underwrite Virgin operating limited services between Brisbane and Sydney. The government will guarantee that the airline will not lose money operating the services, but they will not guarantee the future of the airline.

Thanks Aus Traveller, we were pleasantly surprised, thought we would get a possibly worthless flight credit. Good luck with your Qantas refund. As our Qantas flight was domestic, we are ok with a flight credit. 

Leigh

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

I received a refund today from Virgin from our cancelled flight in June. I assumed it would be a flight credit but no, refund paid into our bank account. The flight was paid with both cash and points but it looks like we lost our points. Also have a flight credit from Qantas but once again points used seem to be gone. We cancelled both flights not the flight operators.

Leigh

You should get your points credited back as well, over the next few days if not already.

I had 220K in Velocity points and had a bad feeling about Virgin, so I bought wine with them just before Easter. My first box arrived today. 

Actually, the wine part of Velocity (Laithwaites) has a huge selection to pick from. A little overpriced, but the Bunnings gift cards were no longer available, so wine it is!!

12 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

I had 220K in Velocity points and had a bad feeling about Virgin, so I bought wine with them just before Easter. My first box arrived today. 

Actually, the wine part of Velocity (Laithwaites) has a huge selection to pick from. A little overpriced, but the Bunnings gift cards were no longer available, so wine it is!!

Here is a article from The Australian Frequent Flyer about Velocity, "Should We Be Worried About Velocity Points?"

The wine option is mentioned in the article as a option.