Cruise Critic Community
fstuff1

Anyone here sail on the Loveboat, which the 1980's TV show was based on?

Posted (edited)

The Loveboat was actually the Pacific Princess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Pacific

(646 passengers at a top speed of 21.5 knots)

If you sailed on her:

1) what was it like sailing on her?

2) What made you sail on her? The TV show?

3) How different was the cruise compared to the tv show?

Edited by fstuff1

We sailed on the original Pacific Princess on a 7-night cruise to Bermuda round trip from New York in 2002. It was the last season that Princess had the ship, and they had already announced that they were sailing her. When we returned to New York, Gavin MacLeod met us at the pier and welcomed the passengers ashore.

Sailing on her was fairly similar to sailing on other Princess ships. This was our fourth Princess cruise - our earlier ones were on the Sun Princess in Alaska, on the original Regal Princess from New Zealand to Australia, and on the original Royal Princess around the tip of South America. Compared to the other ships, the Pacific Princess was definitely older and ready to be retired - but nothing interfered with our enjoyment of the cruise.

Our cabin was much different than the ones on the show. The interiors on the show were shot on stages in Los Angeles and were much, much larger than the cabins on the ship. Our cabin had two single beds that could not be converted to a double - and they called her "The Love Boat".😉

We did not see the captain and other officers walking around the ship all day. As far as I could tell, the ship's doctor was not hitting on any of the female passengers - at least, not in public.

I was interested in seeing Bermuda, and this small ship was a good fit for Bermuda, since we were able to stop at three different ports there. However, one of the main reasons I selected this cruise was to sail on The Love Boat on her last season. That show was the first introduction to cruising for me and, I suspect, for many of us.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

We sailed on the original Pacific Princess on a 7-night cruise to Bermuda round trip from New York in 2002. It was the last season that Princess had the ship, and they had already announced that they were sailing her.

When we returned to New York, Gavin MacLeod met us at the pier and welcomed the passengers ashore.

wow.. do you know why Captain Stubing was there for your specific cruise?

or did Princess hire him to be there for all of her remaining cruises?

also, he's still alive at age 89! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_MacLeod

thought he was in his 60s when he starred on Loveboat.

guess it was the white hair that made me think he was older

Edited by fstuff1

I sailed on the Island Princess in 1992 (sister ship) same size, she was used in some episodes, nowhere near as many as the Pacific.  It was a Hawaii cruise plus across the Pacific to Vancouver.  Nice being on a small ship for the islands.  Both ships are gone Pacific 2013, Island 2015 sold for scrap.  Island left Princess in 1999, Pacific in 2002.

When I first started cruising in the 80's, I liked smaller ships.  Cruising was simpler and nowhere near like what it is now, times have changed.  The entertainment, daily activities were good, dining room was awesome, great choices, different than today.

14 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

wow.. do you know why Captain Stubing was there for your specific cruise?

or did Princess hire him to be there for all of her remaining cruises?

Princess has been paying him and much of the rest of the Love Boat crew for years to do public relations. After all, that show was the best public relations advertisement for cruising in general and for Princess in particular ever.

They were doing a lot of special activities for the Pacific Princess that year, since it was her last year in service for Princess. They had already sold her and announced the date she would be leaving.

We sailed on the 50th Anniversary cruise, re-creating the original voyage on the current Pacific Princess, complete with the Love Boat cast. There were many 'meet the cast' and Q&A sessions with them. It was a memorable cruise.

We sailed the Love Boat (Pacific Princess) from Ensenada to Honolulu in early 1992.

Unlike today where West Coast to Hawaii cruises stop in Ensenada that is where the cruise began. So we took Amtrak from the LA area to San Diego, took a cab to the Princess hotel for a buffet dinner & then Princess shuttled passengers by bus to board the Pacific Princess before sailing at 11 PM non-stop to Honolulu.

I don’t recall many details about the cruise but did enjoy sailing on the Love Boat after watching the TV series.

Here’s a copy of the 1977/78 Princess brochure that someone posted but we couldn’t afford those prices 43 years ago which were similar to today’s prices.  An inflation calculator shows 325% inflation since 1977 so $300 would be nearly $1300 now.

scan_rechaixinsurance_com_20120918_163034.pdf

That just made my day!  Thanks for posting.  Brought back memories of when I first started cruising on Sitmar Cruises, although those were 10 day cruises.

Those of you who got to sail on that ship are lucky. I honestly had never heard of the show until we sailed on Princess and it was available on demand. It was pretty entertaining and it’s been fun to binge on it while we’ve been stuck at home. I don’t remember my parents watching it growing up but it premiered well before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes. 

I am very envious and yes, more posts like this. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

That just made my day!  Thanks for posting.  Brought back memories of when I first started cruising on Sitmar Cruises, although those were 10 day cruises.

Sitmar (Fairwind) in 1988 was my best cruise experience even on an old converted 1957 Cunard oceanliner. It was a 10 day Caribbean cruise & was considered my first Princess cruise after Sitmar merged with Princess. Six months later sailed on the same ship as the Dawn Princess but it was missing the great pizzeria and many of Sitmar’s all Italian & Portuguese crew...great times! 😃

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

We sailed on the 50th Anniversary cruise, re-creating the original voyage on the current Pacific Princess, complete with the Love Boat cast. There were many 'meet the cast' and Q&A sessions with them. It was a memorable cruise.

We too were on that cruise: best sail-away ever!! Entire Love Boat cast mingling with the passengers, Jack Jones singing the theme song at departure, champagne waterfall on the open deck, free flowing ‘champagne’ (I think our group had about 6 glasses each and the servers still had bottles they were trying to pour long after everyone had their fill), more Norman Love chocolate pops than you could eat, beautiful weather, and lovely fellow passengers!!!

As much as I love cruising, my early cruises were awesome.  I sailed the first Royal Princess, 1986, big band cruise, there were 10 of us on board under the age of 60! 🙂  Les Brown band of renown, were on for a 2 week Panama Canal cruise and it was a joy watching everyone dance every evening.  Everyone looked so nice for dinner every evening, and spectacular on the formal nights.  I still enjoy being on a ship but I am glad I got to experience what cruising once was.

Does my post count since I visited in New York MS Sea Venture prior to her sailing to Bermuda one afternoon?  She was to become the Pacific Princess of "Love Boat" fame.  I did not sail on her, unfortunately.

What I recall from my visit:  exterior shots for the TV show were often what I recall.  The Atrium with its stairway between decks:  yes, that existed on the ship, but was it filmed there or not?  I recall TV shots of some of the Lounges and I thought when I saw those:  "I have been there."   Sea Venture was a beautiful ship.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Here’s a copy of the 1977/78 Princess brochure that someone posted but we couldn’t afford those prices 43 years ago which were similar to today’s prices.  An inflation calculator shows 325% inflation since 1977 so $300 would be nearly $1300 now.

That was the same for Flagship Cruises.  One had to do much saving in order to be able to cruise.  At least for me with my salary.

30 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Sitmar (Fairwind) in 1988 was my best cruise experience even on an old converted 1957 Cunard oceanliner. It was a 10 day Caribbean cruise & was considered my first Princess cruise after Sitmar merged with Princess.

Could we have been on the same cruise?  The Fairwind left Port Everglades as a Sitmar ship and we returned as a Princess ship.  We learned en route that P&O had acquired Sitmar.  I recall some concern about this among both the guests as well as some of the crew.  Regardless, it was a great cruise.  There was a lady pianist in one of the Lounges who entertained.  She was a good musician and a personable woman.  I bought her cassette tape and played it to death!  

55 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Sitmar (Fairwind) in 1988 was my best cruise experience even on an old converted 1957 Cunard oceanliner. It was a 10 day Caribbean cruise & was considered my first Princess cruise after Sitmar merged with Princess. Six months later sailed on the same ship as the Dawn Princess but it was missing the great pizzeria and many of Sitmar’s all Italian & Portuguese crew...great times! 😃

My first cruise was on the Fair Sky, and also sailed Fair Wind, Fair Sea and Fair Sky a few more times. Before the merger all crew were Italian males, no females.  When Sitmar merged with Princess they started hiring Portuguese, and that was fine, they had that Italian flair as well.  A Maitre'd told me they were going to start recruiting from Romania, as the labor was cheaper, and as we know now it is truly an international crew.

And Sitmar was similar to the Love Boat shows in that the officers were allowed to socialize with the passengers.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What I recall from my visit:  exterior shots for the TV show were often what I recall.  The Atrium with its stairway between decks:  yes, that existed on the ship, but was it filmed there or not? 

Unlike in the series, the lobby & stairway was not immediately there when exiting the gangway but was in the middle of the ship on Fiesta deck. In this deck plan you can see the Pursers Desk in the Lobby & the curved staircase to Aloha deck. Somewhere I have photos of me & my family wearing our formalwear on the staircase.

As I recall we departed on 7/4/88 and our waiter Paolo was on the cover of that final Sitmar brochure. So it didn’t change names until we sailed from LA to Mexico in January 1989. Our quad cabin with our kids was very big with 2 sets of bunk beds with lots of room in between them.

DC91270F-073F-4A0E-B9D7-BD238DC99982.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

As I recall we departed on 7/4/88 and our waiter Paolo was on the cover of that final Sitmar brochure

I may still have that final brochure in my archives.  

Regarding the name change of the ship, are you certain that you were on the Fairwind?  Or was it the Fairsea?  I recall that the Fairsea was usually on the West Coast and the Fairwind was in the Caribbean.  

That Summer, 1988, the exterior decor of the Fairwind had been altered.  The "V" on the yellow funnel was gone; replaced by a modernized logo.  Blue, white, and red waves decorated the sides of the ship, an early attempt at hull art that NCL now uses.  

I am 100% positive that the business transaction from Sitmar to P&O/Princess took place during my cruise.  

Edited by rkacruiser

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Regarding the name change of the ship, are you certain that you were on the Fairwind?  Or was it the Fairsea?  I recall that the Fairsea was usually on the West Coast and the Fairwind was in the Caribbean.  

Yes...Fairwind in summer 1988 to the Caribbean; same ship named the Dawn Princess from LA to the Mexican Riviera in January 1989.

This was how the Fairwind was painted on our cruise & our waiter Paolo is the 2nd from the right.

I still have a couple of these Staffordshire Fine Bone China coffee cups.

2FEAF247-B984-4EBC-9968-2E6AE9851EA2.jpeg

D4CCB7D9-4264-42A9-ABD8-0CA71BE7416D.jpeg

32BC0860-FF72-4231-8CC5-95E61B0517FE.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

22 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

This was how the Fairwind was painted on our cruise & our waiter Paolo is the 2nd from the right.

23 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Yes...Fairwind in summer 1988 to the Caribbean;

My memory has not failed me!  I know that I saved that brochure that shows Paolo.  

Thanks for your post!

We were on the original PP in 2001 on a cruise from Capetown to Mombasa.

You can see some of the pictures from that cruise at http://africacb.homestead.com/home.html

Just click on the "Pacific Princess" link on the left side of the page. Then you can click on a thumbnail to enlarge it.

We originally had booked an inside cabin. As someone posted above, the two twin beds (one folding down from the wall) could not be moved. Once we learned that, someone at Princess upgraded us to an oceanview cabin because of our disappointment. Still had the two twin, not-movable beds, but with a view. Of course back then there were no balcony cabins.

We were also on the 50th Anniversary PP cruise as were several other posters above. At a Sunday brunch "Doc" was dressed in his uniform and was with the ship's doctor.

wow great pics from the TV show.  Thanks for sharing

Thanks for posting the photos.We were on that cruise with you.

Our first cruise was on the Fair Sea in 1978.

We sailed on the original love boat The pacific Princess in 1985. It was the first cruise for Princess out of San Diego. it was a special cruise and we were able to book it because we knew someone that was on the committee to help bring Princess to San Diego as a Home port.(didn't last past the first season I believe)On board was the Padres Baseball team and that added to the craziness and fun.

In those days we were allowed guests on board.Our tiny outside cabin with a port hole was filled with friends and family visiting before sailing.The room stewards were British older gentlemen. All the dining room staff were Italian. 

Our cabin had what looked like two tiny sofas but they were beds at night.

Although it was a very fun cruise our dining room experience was awful.Our waiter was a very rude person and we could smell liquor on his breathe. The last morning of the cruise he was flinging our plates on the table.Someone asked for milk for coffee and he picked up a used glass from another table and put it on ours. We were young and didn't know wencould complain. It took 15 years before we cruised on another Princes ship although we cruised often.  And so glad we came back to Princess.