Apex crew member sues X for COVID-19

WNcruiser

33 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

X may be headed to the scrapyard in any event. RCL dumped 26 percent of its workforce, so the jobs may be going too. 

None of that is the issue; if X was negligent/reckless, it might have to pay. Good. That's what the law is for.

Saw someone on another thread sneering about ambulance chasers. Well, this time the cruise lines created lots and lots of customers for ambulances. 

It's a shame that you can't seem to find anything positive to share. I would say that the majority of those on CC are caring, compassionate people who share the joy of cruising. We know crew members who are friends. We care about them and worry about their health and well being, just as we do for our own families and friends in the US and other places around the world.

While writing this post, I got a call from friends we cruise with that another very dear friend from Wales, who we first met on a CC roll call 11 years ago, just passed away from the virus.

I hope you will keep in mind that the cruise lines didn’t cause the illness of the crew or passengers on board. The virus did.

I sincerely hope your day gets better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, C-Dragons said:

It's a shame that you can't seem to find anything positive to share. I would say that the majority of those on CC are caring, compassionate people who share the joy of cruising. We know crew members who are friends. We care about them and worry about their health and well being, just as we do for our own families and friends in the US and other places around the world.

While writing this post, I got a call from friends we cruise with that another very dear friend from Wales, who we first met on a CC roll call 11 years ago, just passed away from the virus.

I hope you will keep in mind that the cruise lines didn’t cause the illness of the crew or passengers on board. The virus did.

Bringing justice for the cruise employees is actually very "positive." These lawsuits are a good sign, as is the criminal investigation in Austraila.

And if a court determines X, Royal, NCL and/or the Carnival brands were negligent or reckless, it will conclude those lines had a role in causing the illness of the crew or passengers. 

(And my days are lovely. Thanks for asking.)

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 12:00 AM, C-Dragons said:

This pandemic has brought out the very best in many people, sadly it’s also shown some for the individuals they really are. I have found that at work with one or two people in our staff team and I’m afraid it’s also been the case on here. My mother in law who is in a care home has just been told they think she has the virus, she has multiple health issues and realises she probably won’t make it if she has contracted Covid 19. At a time when we are all struggling and worried about friends and family some people seem to be revelling in the negativity. Maybe it’s because many of us are stuck at home and our mental health is suffering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is not surprising.  It was just a matter of time before the law suits came as a result of the virus.  And it's not just the cruise industry...these suits have the potential to bubble up in any industry that remains open to provide essential services.  Ambulance chaser's dream...IMO

GP- I agree that in short order everybody will be suing everybody all over the world.  That will be the very sad result post-pandemic.  Blame everything and everybody.  Human nature.  The lawyers that will be the only people on Earth that ultimately benefit from this pandemic - maybe purchasing their COVID Yachts or COVID Bentley's or COVID mansions.  But in curiosity how will they find impartial juries since everyone out there will either have had the virus or know somebody who has had the virus.  It seems like everybody will be excluded from jury pools.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yorky said:

This pandemic has brought out the very best in many people, sadly it’s also shown some for the individuals they really are. I have found that at work with one or two people in our staff team and I’m afraid it’s also been the case on here. My mother in law who is in a care home has just been told they think she has the virus, she has multiple health issues and realises she probably won’t make it if she has contracted Covid 19. At a time when we are all struggling and worried about friends and family some people seem to be revelling in the negativity. Maybe it’s because many of us are stuck at home and our mental health is suffering.

I hope and pray that your mother in law will overcome this.

One of the very first outbreaks in the US was in a care home in Washington state. A 90 year old woman recovered from the virus. In the months prior to becoming infected with Covid 19, she recovered from a stroke and a broken hip. Anything is possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I hope and pray that your mother in law will overcome this.

One of the very first outbreaks in the US was in a care home in Washington state. A 90 year old woman recovered from the virus. In the months prior to becoming infected with Covid 19, she recovered from a stroke and a broken hip. Anything is possible.

Many thanks for your thoughts. Moira is now in her late 80s having had a previous heart attack and COPD, to be honest she struggles to walk even a few yards these days. She said yesterday that “ the virus has got me”. We all know what she meant by that, terrible times.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is not surprising.  It was just a matter of time before the law suits came as a result of the virus.  And it's not just the cruise industry...these suits have the potential to bubble up in any industry that remains open to provide essential services.  Ambulance chaser's dream...IMO

And this will also impact other Non-essential  businesses as they try to eventually reopen. 

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

GP- I agree that in short order everybody will be suing everybody all over the world.  That will be the very sad result post-pandemic.  Blame everything and everybody.  Human nature.  The lawyers that will be the only people on Earth that ultimately benefit from this pandemic - maybe purchasing their COVID Yachts or COVID Bentley's or COVID mansions.  But in curiosity how will they find impartial juries since everyone out there will either have had the virus or know somebody who has had the virus.  It seems like everybody will be excluded from jury pools.

I'm a lawyer, and I'm not "benefiting" from the pandemic.

As to the suit against Celebrity:  Let it play out!  Try not to second-guess the judicial process.  If the suit is frivolous, the judge will say so.  If the suit has merit, the judge will say so, too.  Meanwhile, life goes on.      

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Maybe I am crazy or I totally misunderstand American jurisprudence, but somehow I think perhaps the courts should decide merit or not, not posters on a cruise addict forum. 

Totally agree....but even cruise addicts have opinions. 😉

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Totally agree that it will be up  to the courts to decide...but I think it's OK for one to voice an opinion....cruise addict or not.

Totally agree.

But the "lawyers are crooks" insinuations are tiresome.

Lawyers are always sharks.  Until you need one.

And I am not an attorney.  Just an observer of human behavior.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Totally agree.

But the "lawyers are crooks" insinuations are tiresome.

Lawyers are always sharks.  Until you need one.

And I am not an attorney.  Just an observer of human behavior.

Good observation!

15 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Bringing justice for the cruise employees is actually very "positive." These lawsuits are a good sign, as is the criminal investigation in Austraila.

And if a court determines X, Royal, NCL and/or the Carnival brands were negligent or reckless, it will conclude those lines had a role in causing the illness of the crew or passengers. 

(And my days are lovely. Thanks for asking.)

So are you going to sue, the airlines, grocery stores, big box home improvement stores, your neighbors? It's an easily transferable virus that early on and maybe even now there isn't a clear path for dealing with it.

Driving past some grocery stores and home improvement stores with full parking lots, you know social distancing is definitely not happening and the virus is likely being passed on! We effort to get groceries from less busy stores paying more to supply us and our parents so they don't have to go out.

But apparently you like many chose to pick on the cruise lines, where the cases spread there are a very small amount of the worldwide cases.

33 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

So are you going to sue, the airlines, grocery stores, big box home improvement stores, your neighbors? It's an easily transferable virus that early on and maybe even now there isn't a clear path for dealing with it.

Driving past some grocery stores and home improvement stores with full parking lots, you know social distancing is definitely not happening and the virus is likely being passed on! We effort to get groceries from less busy stores paying more to supply us and our parents so they don't have to go out.

But apparently you like many chose to pick on the cruise lines, where the cases spread there are a very small amount of the worldwide cases.

The complaint against Celebrity goes far, far beyond lack of social distancing.  Have you read it?  (Post #23 includes a link.)

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

Haven't seen a CDC order shutting down any of those.

Haven't seen lines of ambulances lined up outside to take away their infected customers, or hearses taking away the corpses.

Of course, their customers don't live there for 7 to 14 days at a time.

Those were false comparisons and poorly thought out. Read the CDC No Sail Order if you wish to educate yourself.

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The complaint against Celebrity goes far, far beyond lack of social distancing.  Have you read it?  (Post #23 includes a link.)

I had read this thread before as one poster commented drills are mandatory, and seeing the video from the Edge it appears that they have gotten a lot better as time has moved on. I did google the story about the lawsuit, generally don't click links. This is the same as our essential stores here, they are just in the last couple of weeks putting up shields for checkout people, some employees wear masks, but not all. A very few but not all businesses are limiting the number of customers and try to funnel traffic through the store to minimize contact. The problem with the virus is it was a vertical learning curve for all and everyone made mistakes early on and some still potentially are.

6 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Haven't seen a CDC order shutting down any of those.

Haven't seen lines of ambulances lined up outside to take away their infected customers, or hearses taking away the corpses.

Of course, their customers don't live there for 7 to 14 days at a time.

Those were false comparisons and poorly thought out. Read the CDC No Sail Order if you wish to educate yourself.

They are all considered essential businesses is why the CDC hasn't shut them down. I have read the CDC no sail order and really wasn't all that surprised or impressed, so I am educated.

Your ambulance analogy doesn't make any sense, because this virus has mostly been socially spread, and people in stores go home and either end up in a hospital or are told to suffer at home. Cruise lines are unique with people being together for 3-30 or more days together the spread is easily visible and contained once ports stopped accepting them. The 100 airline cabin attendants that were positive, did the airlines follow up with all the passengers they flew with to warn them and see how many were sick, guessing not. So I guess you win the argument because there is no direct analogy to a cruise ship. 

I should have known better than to comment, especially on a cruise board, because there always has been hate for cruise ships and now it is just getting worse.

Sign off with hope all are healthy and safe which I will be glad when I no longer have to type that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I should have known better than to comment, especially on a cruise board, because there always has been hate for cruise ships and now it is just getting worse.

Huh?

I call it realism. 

And after over 3 YEARS on ships (1200 days, 85+ sailings) I think I (and many here with equal love of sailing) are not, by any means, haters of cruise ships.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Huh?

I call it realism. 

And after over 3 YEARS on ships (1200 days, 85+ sailings) I think I (and many here with equal love of sailing) are not, by any means, haters of cruise ships.

I could say in general life right now. There is so much negativity and hate out there it is crazy. I wonder what it will be like when the dust settles, not looking forward to that time. I will go back in my hole and fingers crossed hope to sail again on the APEX next year. Who knows we may be some of the first paying passengers like we were on the Edge.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I could say in general life right now. There is so much negativity and hate out there it is crazy. I wonder what it will be like when the dust settles, not looking forward to that time. I will go back in my hole and fingers crossed hope to sail again on the APEX next year. Who knows we may be some of the first paying passengers like we were on the Edge.

I hear your point.  But, I have no idea where you live, but where we live I have NEVER, in 70 years, seen the level of love, community involvement and compassion that I have seen in the last 30 days.  Not an ounce of hate and negativity.  People working together, helping their neighbors and doing what all know is necessary to combat and overcome this pandemic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I hear your point.  But, I have no idea where you live, but where we live I have NEVER, in 70 years, seen the level of love, community involvement and compassion that I have seen in the last 30 days.  Not an ounce of hate and negativity.  People working together, helping their neighbors and doing what all know is necessary to combat and overcome this pandemic. 

Most of my knowledge of local is the news, which especially early on was doomsday scenario, which stoked a lot of fear and panic buying. We didn't buy in bulk early and finally just last week were able to find some hand sanitizer, most stores are still sold out of that and rubbing alcohol and wipes, which as a diabetic my mom will need eventually. 

Now the comments sections on the news stories are basically people calling each other dumb for their views, I try not to read them, but it is sometimes it is one of those things you can't help but look. As for us we go into work when needed, grocery shop for 2 households every other or once in 3 weeks and do lots of walks and have found a path or two where we only see one or two families. We have done takeout a couple of times and they do food donations through the restaurant to those that need it so we buy some of those pay it forward meals. So basically we are homebodies right now, which I guess is the right thing.

As for where I live our most recent election made national news, yeh us.

Back to the cruising and the lawsuit. Do they technically have a case, maybe, but my point was every essential business could potentially have a similar case against them. The best we can hope for is to learn from this and have better plans of action world wide in the future. This is the most severe disease I have seen in my 46 years, and hope that is the case for how many days or years I have left.

19 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I'm a lawyer, and I'm not "benefiting" from the pandemic.

As to the suit against Celebrity:  Let it play out!  Try not to second-guess the judicial process.  If the suit is frivolous, the judge will say so.  If the suit has merit, the judge will say so, too.  Meanwhile, life goes on.      

DaveSJ - sorry I did not really mean to offend you personally here as I know and respect many lawyers and have a few very good ones in my circle of friends and family.  I am sure you are not personally benefiting from the pandemic.  My rather tongue-in-cheek comments were just pointing out that a ton of lawsuits are coming over COVID-19.  There will be a spectrum - many will be very valid on one end  but others will certainly be trivial.  I have no idea where this APEX suit falls in that spectrum.  As for judges, many non-expert juries decide these things.  Better judges try to limit the awards if they are too outlandish.  But I stand by my statement that some law firms will be in the business of soliciting these cases and some will be  greatly benefiting financially from these cases.  Do you agree or disagree?

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Huh?

I call it realism. 

Na he’s right I’m afraid.

Where we live,  Courts, & attys are  doing their best operating virtually so people do not get sick from Covid,  but can  still have a day in Court.  They also trying to figure out how they can have jury trials without potential exposure. Right now,  these are more pressing issues than debating the merits of litigation  to which we are not parties. 

Dave SJ had a good thought..let it play out!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 8:53 AM, yorky said:

Prayers for your mother in law...