Jump to content

Are we the only one who hasn't received refund?


Recommended Posts

Spoke to a very nice person in the back office at RCL today named Shelby - some manager of sorts. She was very pleasant but unfortunately couldn't provide any additional information on when my 3 refunds would be issued, saying the latest guidance she has is 30 to 90 additional days as of last Friday night (something was "wrong" on my reservations which means the last 35 days no progress was made apparently since RCL canceled my May 3rd cruise). 

 

After hanging up I filed chargebacks and already have the money in my account. So, 35 days waiting for RCCL and getting jerked around and after 15 minutes on the phone with BOA I've been made whole. Also my Delta and Marriott refunds were processed within 24 hours (canceled over the weekend and received refunds from both on my online credit card statements this morning). 

 

Had RCL provided better communication I would have continued to wait - but after 35 days - without any reasonably concrete ETA, it's just too much to ask. 

 

For whatever it's worth BOA said they are being absolutely flooded with calls from cruise line customers filing disputes the past few days. The rep went out of his way to say "Is this for a cruise I assume" ... "every other call lately has been about a cruise, we are filing tons of chargebacks on behalf of our customers now."

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also are waiting on 2 refunds from RCL and one from Carnival.  Our Apr. RCL transatlantic was canceled on March 25th and we immediately went through the process of getting a full cash refund.  We completed our request and received the standard screenshot of wait for up to 30 days for a refund.  Nothing yet on that one and it seems from what I'm reading here I won't be holding my breath.  The second RCL was a November transatlantic which we canceled a few weeks earlier. ,far ahead of the cancellation window.  We had $900 in payments to RCL and so far have received 2 credits of $200 each. The other $500 has not shown up. Many calls  to the TA have not been returned . Our April cruise is scheduled for the 25th. If I don't have the refund by then I am initiating a charge back on my Chase Sapphire Reserve and will get my credit that day. Chase can then do the work of contacting RCL and make them prove that I was wrong. I plan on doing the same down the line with the other 2 cruises.  I am normally very patient but I now feel as though I've been taken advantage of by the cruise lines.  My airfares,  hotels, shuttles , Airbnb that were all connected to these cruises offered refunds and they were posted on my card or the points returned within 3 days.  Hope this helps others who are looking here. I wonder if it isn't time to start shaming these cruise lines on social media. Would it help? Doubtful. I can speak for myself and close friends that our cruises with these lines are now off the table.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also so tempted to call Bank of America (Royal Caribbean credit card) and dispute the charges on the

two "before final payment" cancellations.  It has been over the 30 days (was told when cancelled it would be

7-10 days).  I called  last week and was told that my refunds were approved and would post this week.  I am beginning to doubt I am being told the truth. As of today, I haven't even received a credit for cruise planner

cancellations...not one penny credited for either sailing.

 

Here is my concern:  If I dispute the $14,000+ that RC owes me...what would happen to the additional

$2,000 + in FCC?  As I have not received the FCC emails, could they refuse honoring those?  So...do I possibly forfeit the FCC or wait a bit longer, also... the fear of RC filing bankruptcy is making me anxious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I have been waiting over a month for the cruise I cancelled (June departure).  I called yesterday again to see where my money was (since I had made full payment on 1 cabin).  It showed up today!  WOO HOO!  I asked about FCC and was put on hold for 30 + minutes.  They had not even started that process -- not sure why they did not do it right away, but I am happy to have my $ back!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to call one more time before initiating the CC dispute. I was told last week that teh funds has been posted on 4/11. Today I was told that the funds were posted on 4/11 and released to the bank on 4/19. So I learned that posting and releasing are not the same. She also told me that the funds would come back as 2 payments and she told me the amount of each payment. So I am hopeful that I really will get my money.  This is not from a canceled cruised. I put down a deposit on a Sep cruise and I have decided to cancel. IFF cruises are happening in September, I am sure there will be plenty of cabins and I can jump on board and pay a few weeks before sailing. At this point I am not willing to have Royal hold my money. When cruises do resume I will book something close to sailing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

I decided to call one more time before initiating the CC dispute. I was told last week that teh funds has been posted on 4/11. Today I was told that the funds were posted on 4/11 and released to the bank on 4/19. So I learned that posting and releasing are not the same. She also told me that the funds would come back as 2 payments and she told me the amount of each payment. So I am hopeful that I really will get my money.  This is not from a canceled cruised. I put down a deposit on a Sep cruise and I have decided to cancel. IFF cruises are happening in September, I am sure there will be plenty of cabins and I can jump on board and pay a few weeks before sailing. At this point I am not willing to have Royal hold my money. When cruises do resume I will book something close to sailing. 

For what it’s worth, they told me mine were posted on April 6 & 11.  Yet still nothin on our credit card.   I think they are just feeding callers whatever BS they can at the time.   
 

We’re waiting until May 1 before we do the same.  At that point it will be 6 weeks, and while that may not be long enough under the circumstances, the fact they said it was refunded , there is clearly a problem 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MNelson486 said:

Hello,

I have been waiting over a month for the cruise I cancelled (June departure).  I called yesterday again to see where my money was (since I had made full payment on 1 cabin).  It showed up today!  WOO HOO!  I asked about FCC and was put on hold for 30 + minutes.  They had not even started that process -- not sure why they did not do it right away, but I am happy to have my $ back!

Must be nice getting your money back for a cruise that didn't even sail yet. I was supposed to sail on Harmony of the Seas on March 15, it was cancelled by Royal, and I haven't received a dime back for the drink package, excursions, and cruise fare. I'm probably going to dispute the charges at this point because this is ridiculous.

Edited by SRTcruisin
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MNelson486 said:

Hello,

I have been waiting over a month for the cruise I cancelled (June departure).  I called yesterday again to see where my money was (since I had made full payment on 1 cabin).  It showed up today!  WOO HOO!  I asked about FCC and was put on hold for 30 + minutes.  They had not even started that process -- not sure why they did not do it right away, but I am happy to have my $ back!

 

Congratulations!  Do you recall what date you cancelled?  

 

Did you book directly with Royal or through a TA?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My update, I called yesterday, they said I had been refunded to my credit card on the 19th....today is the 21st....I called the credit card company and they have received nothing.....so in reality..my cruise on the 14th of March, cancelled on the 13th of March by RCCL is still not refunded.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend got $550.00 credited on her one credit card as that’s the amount she paid on that CC. The remainder $700.00 has not been credited back , that’s on a separate card. 
Our cruise would of just left this past Sunday (19th ) 

 

I haven’t gotten anything back yet so now I’m confused, why did she get some of hers back on one card and not the rest on her other card. It wasn’t taxes, port and gratuity as that’s just over $200.00 . 
who knows

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rolloman said:

My update, I called yesterday, they said I had been refunded to my credit card on the 19th....today is the 21st....I called the credit card company and they have received nothing.....so in reality..my cruise on the 14th of March, cancelled on the 13th of March by RCCL is still not refunded.

 

May I ask why, since you were already on the phone with your cc company, you did not just file a dispute?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mafig said:

 

May I ask why, since you were already on the phone with your cc company, you did not just file a dispute?

Dispute takes 60 days for my Mastercard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scarlette said:

 

Congratulations!  Do you recall what date you cancelled?  

 

Did you book directly with Royal or through a TA?

I cancelled on March 18.  Booked directed with Royal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We did our charge backs today on 3 cruises and one airline (Norwegian).  A few simple questions with the Chase representative and 20 minutes later from start to finish our money is refunded.  Now it's up to the cruise lines to prove they gave refunds ( they didn't) and it's up to the bank and cruise lines to figure out this mess.  We have all of the cancellation emails etc. Waiting 5 weeks for a refund on an issue that all other entities had refunded in a day or 2 is just not right. Good luck to you all.

 

BTW , we did get one $200 credit from Royal Caribbean. No idea which cruise it was for  ( we had 3 canceled) and no details with it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bonanza41 said:

We did our charge backs today on 3 cruises and one airline (Norwegian).  A few simple questions with the Chase representative and 20 minutes later from start to finish our money is refunded.  Now it's up to the cruise lines to prove they gave refunds ( they didn't) and it's up to the bank and cruise lines to figure out this mess.  We have all of the cancellation emails etc. Waiting 5 weeks for a refund on an issue that all other entities had refunded in a day or 2 is just not right. Good luck to you all.

 

BTW , we did get one $200 credit from Royal Caribbean. No idea which cruise it was for  ( we had 3 canceled) and no details with it. 

 

 

What happened with your Norwegian Airlines cancellation? Did you submit a refund request with them as well? 

 

I ask, because we are supposed to fly to Spain with them in October, and with all their international flights grounded and Spanish restrictions, it is looking unlikely. But we will wait for them to cancel and request a refund. 

 

Please let us know how yours works out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Coralc said:

 

What happened with your Norwegian Airlines cancellation? Did you submit a refund request with them as well? 

 

I ask, because we are supposed to fly to Spain with them in October, and with all their international flights grounded and Spanish restrictions, it is looking unlikely. But we will wait for them to cancel and request a refund. 

 

Please let us know how yours works out. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a flight canceled by Norwegian air for May 28 from Barcelona to Chicago.  They gave us the option of a 125% travel credit with them or a cash refund.  We opted for the refund. The refund wasn't received after 5 weeks and no other communications. That's why we did a charge back. 

 

We also have another Norwegian air flight in early June that they have not canceled yet. We are waiting for them to cancel as we will not be traveling to Europe in June. If we cancel , we will not receive any refund so we are hoping for a cancellation by them . 

 

I don't see Norwegian air coming out of this as they were in financial trouble before this virus. Just hold on until the last minute and see what happens. That's about all I can tell you . Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree! Thanks! They were already in financial trouble, but expected to fly through the end of the year. Not now, I guess.  We do have insurance, but the credit card is another option. 

Edited by Coralc
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

I decided to call one more time before initiating the CC dispute. I was told last week that teh funds has been posted on 4/11. Today I was told that the funds were posted on 4/11 and released to the bank on 4/19. So I learned that posting and releasing are not the same. She also told me that the funds would come back as 2 payments and she told me the amount of each payment. So I am hopeful that I really will get my money.  This is not from a canceled cruised. I put down a deposit on a Sep cruise and I have decided to cancel. IFF cruises are happening in September, I am sure there will be plenty of cabins and I can jump on board and pay a few weeks before sailing. At this point I am not willing to have Royal hold my money. When cruises do resume I will book something close to sailing. 

Just curious if you actually received the money? I was told the same line on Monday when I called...posted on the 6th, sent to my bank on the 19th....yet my account shows nothing returned. Seems to be more games being played....how low can they go?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bonanza41 said:

We did our charge backs today on 3 cruises and one airline (Norwegian).  A few simple questions with the Chase representative and 20 minutes later from start to finish our money is refunded.  Now it's up to the cruise lines to prove they gave refunds ( they didn't) and it's up to the bank and cruise lines to figure out this mess.  We have all of the cancellation emails etc. Waiting 5 weeks for a refund on an issue that all other entities had refunded in a day or 2 is just not right. Good luck to you all.

 

BTW , we did get one $200 credit from Royal Caribbean. No idea which cruise it was for  ( we had 3 canceled) and no details with it. 

 


I also have Chase and have been mulling starting the chargeback process. Was there a checklist of things you needed to have or needed to happen for the chargeback to go through?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rolloman said:

Just curious if you actually received the money? I was told the same line on Monday when I called...posted on the 6th, sent to my bank on the 19th....yet my account shows nothing returned. Seems to be more games being played....how low can they go?

Have not received money. Just checked my credit card. I will give it until the end of the week. Then , I will dispute.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to Celebrity yesterday. My cruise was scheduled for May 2.  I was told by the rep that it would be processed by May 11.  

 

Here's the kicker- she told me that every single refund was being processed manually because they do not have a program that will back out the penalty fees that are automatically assessed when you cancel a cruise.  What a bunch of malarkey.  I plan on formally disputing it with AmEx  on April 24, which is one month after they cancelled my cruise.

 

This is a billion dollar company that can't write software that will back out the penalty charges when generating a refund??? Bull!

 

Cathy

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wilda said:

This is a billion dollar company that can't write software that will back out the penalty charges when generating a refund??? 

Correct, they never felt like investing in their IT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wilda said:

I talked to Celebrity yesterday. My cruise was scheduled for May 2.  I was told by the rep that it would be processed by May 11.  

 

Here's the kicker- she told me that every single refund was being processed manually because they do not have a program that will back out the penalty fees that are automatically assessed when you cancel a cruise.  What a bunch of malarkey.  I plan on formally disputing it with AmEx  on April 24, which is one month after they cancelled my cruise.

 

This is a billion dollar company that can't write software that will back out the penalty charges when generating a refund??? Bull!

 

Cathy

I am waiting for a refund of a deposit from Royal that us refundanle and no where near the penalty phase. So no reason it has to be manual. They are just slow tracking it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, txnjcruise said:


I also have Chase and have been mulling starting the chargeback process. Was there a checklist of things you needed to have or needed to happen for the chargeback to go through?

So this morning I awoke to emails from Chase.  They want more information for a couple of the charge backs and have not credited that account until they receive the info. That is on my Sapphire Reserve.  My Chase United card was credited completely with no questions. Hmmmmm.  

 

 

As to your question, have the dates of your charges and the amounts ready when you call.  Also have your sailing dates available. We were on hold for only a few minutes so it should go quickly. Good luck.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...