Royal Caribbean Reducing US Workforce

1 hour ago, Gasdoc said:

Hopefully it’s not the staff responsible for processing  my refund.

Wow!  People losing their livelihood, and your concern is how quickly you get your your refund. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
2 hours ago, Gasdoc said:

I have no doubt you meant this tongue and cheek, especially with so much anxiety over refund status.  I get it.  Just sad that RCL is having to resort to furloughs.  Guess the writing was on the wall but still a sad day.

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

Cruise lines not subject to " WARN " layoff notices???

Generally speaking, the cruise lines would be subject to the WARN requirements.  divining meaning from your other posts, the fact the corporation is headquartered overseas would not effect the US law's applicability to US employees.

There are a great number of exceptions to the WARN requirements.  Three big ones are: Faltering Economy, Unforeseeable Business Circumstances and Natural Disaster.  As all fifty states are under a disaster declaration, WARN requirements would not currently apply to any employer.  Additionally, even if that were not the case, if the employer classifies the lay-offs as having an anticipated duration of 6 months or less, the WARN requirements would also not apply.  Due to the emergency unemployment benefit changes recently enacted, most employers are allowing their laid off employees "job-attached" status, meaning they foresee having the employees return to work. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
18 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

h - I do not understand what you mean by this....

Thank you and bon voyage

WARN = Worker Adjustment and Retaining Notification (act). 

Edited by davekathy
17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I have no doubt you meant this tongue and cheek, especially with so much anxiety over refund status.  I get it.  Just sad that RCL is having to resort to furloughs.  Guess the writing was on the wall but still a sad day.

I think a little humor might be appreciated at a time like this.  Maybe I'm wrong.

And for the record, I'm sorry that anyone has to lose their job.  

Edited by zitsky
1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I think a little humor might be appreciated at a time like this.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Agree...I guess it's laugh or cry these days...some people won't see the humor though.  I've made myself find humor in something every day during this crisis.  Some days it's easier than others...

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree...I guess it's laugh or cry these days...some people won't see the humor though.  I've made myself find humor in something every day during this crisis.  Some days it's easier than others...

The sad thing is the disease, the death.  The humor is wearing masks.  Some people make some pretty funny looking ones.

3 hours ago, Gasdoc said:

You certainly are not a prolific poster being as how you only have 75 posts since 2004, but everyone I have read lately is funny and gives me a much needed laugh for the day, so please post more  Thank you.

Yes, I'm sorry for the layoffs too but this is the way things are these days.   No sailings, reduced staff needed.   This will pass, and hopefully we'll all be better for it.

Edited by TeaBag
1 hour ago, omeinv said:

Generally speaking, the cruise lines would be subject to the WARN requirements.  divining meaning from your other posts, the fact the corporation is headquartered overseas would not effect the US law's applicability to US employees.

There are a great number of exceptions to the WARN requirements.  Three big ones are: Faltering Economy, Unforeseeable Business Circumstances and Natural Disaster.  As all fifty states are under a disaster declaration, WARN requirements would not currently apply to any employer.  Additionally, even if that were not the case, if the employer classifies the lay-offs as having an anticipated duration of 6 months or less, the WARN requirements would also not apply.  Due to the emergency unemployment benefit changes recently enacted, most employers are allowing their laid off employees "job-attached" status, meaning they foresee having the employees return to work. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks....hoping Celeb/Royal are generous to the employees being laid off..

Edited by hcat
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

The sad thing is the disease, the death.  The humor is wearing masks.  Some people make some pretty funny looking ones.

Masks worn during the Plague in the Middle Ages... very different from the ones today.

image.jpeg

Edited by C-Dragons

Truly unfortunate. For anyone that follows the Traveling with Bruce vlog, his latest entry today goes into this matter pretty extensively. Sounds like those jobs associated with US call centers could be heavily impacted as a direct result of the virus, if not maybe already in the works previously...

Traveling with Bruce

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

How does furlough work in USA. Does the government guareentee/pay a percentage of the salary?

Just maybe the people desperate for their refunds lost their jobs a couple of weeks ago. Our family business of over 20 years disappeared within a week. My son also lost his job at the end of March. Companies holding refunds for holidays, flights etc that have been cancelled should be refunding them within their standard terms which is a maximum of 30 days. 

Edited by Pushka
3 hours ago, zitsky said:

And for the record, I'm sorry that anyone has to lose their job.  

Agree, but for those of us who lost our jobs 6 weeks ago...the refund we are owed sure would help.  It shouldn’t be up to the blue collar workers to finance cruise lines.

9 hours ago, omeinv said:

Wow!  People losing their livelihood, and your concern is how quickly you get your your refund. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Find it so funny that people cant recognize humor when they see it....

49 minutes ago, Ronin23 said:

Find it so funny that people cant recognize humor when they see it....

Perhaps this is not a particularly funny time.  I do not know where you live in Melbourne but I live on the east coast of the US. Just curious how many of your loved ones are without jobs right now, some simply fired.  Also many can’t leave their homes and fingers crossed having groceries delivered to their front doors if lucky.  Finally thousands are dying each day. 

Not sure how you find humor in this, I sure as he££ don’t.

Edited by Oville