How many cruises would have to go before you will take a cruise

We will not sail until there have been at least 2-3 months of multiple sailings with no ships quarantined for Covid-19 or any other issues. Our May 27 Mediterranean cruise was just cancelled and we have a Southern Caribbean cruise scheduled at the end of November. If there does not appear to be significant progress towards a cure, vaccine or cruises sailing with no issues by the final payment date, we will cancel and get a refund. The last thing we want is to be quarantined on a ship for 2 weeks or more because one person on the ship tested positive.

Also, shortly before cruises shut down, both of our workplaces began requiring a 14 day waiting period after returning from a cruise or foreign country before we are allowed to return to work. We don’t want to have to use 3 weeks of vacation time (or unpaid leave) just to take a one week cruise.

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

ha ha - yep. Going over to God's country! My family is from that neck of the woods, a little place called Tiverton. You know what? You might have given me an idea. Since we wont be going away in the fall, maybe its time to take a trip back and see something of the old place.

Yes, I have a friend who lives in Tiverton.  I have a few things going on in Annapolis Royal and Yarmouth this summer.  Should be OK for travel there.  Will stop in Fredericton on way home to visit somebody else.

58 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, I have a friend who lives in Tiverton.  I have a few things going on in Annapolis Royal and Yarmouth this summer.  Should be OK for travel there.  Will stop in Fredericton on way home to visit somebody else.

I would think by summer it should be fine. Have a great "cruise"  😁

Edited by nbsjcruiser
On 4/16/2020 at 12:33 AM, Moose07 said:

So my question is if and when a vaccine is developed and required for cruising what happens to people who can not get it because of allergies? I can not get the shingles vaccine because of a serious allergy to one of the main ingredients Are they going to ban me from ever cruising again?.

Which shingles vaccine could you not get? There are two different shingle vaccines created in different fashions.

If it is a requirement to be vaccinated against a certain pathogen to board, and you do not get that vaccination then you will not cruise. It will be as simple as that.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:36 AM, Shaver John said:

Just curious, how many cruises will have to have been completed before you would be willing to get on a ship. We all have so much FCC that we will be using to pay for our next cruise that I bet Princess will make very little profit for many months, but would you take a cruise on the first ship to sail. 

If the first ship to sail is say in August: NO WAY

If the first ship to sail in summer of 2021:  Yea I could imagine that.

Why?

1) Vaccine, NO way will one be widely available and with enough time to prove effectiveness for SARs-CoV-2.  Any vaccine will need months if not a year across full cycle and multiple mutated versions of the virus.   Nothing I've read suggest we have any leads or data so that is 9 months to a year away.

2) If we get back to things like limited social distancing and travel on airplanes domestic and international restart and also fall sports like Football and spring sports like baseball/basketball ( USA based ) go thru full cycle with no second burst that kills the health care system, then summer 2021 sounds about right.

On 4/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, GJCruiser said:

This is nothing more than any of our normal influenza virus - except there is no vaccine. When a vaccine is created, you will still have this virus and it will effect some people. Not all people get vaccines, and you cannot force them to.

Oh really?  Nothing more than the flu?  Well, I've never known anyone who has died of the flu and now, sadly, I know 3 people who have died from Covid-19, and they weren't easy deaths.  I will sail when I no longer cry.

Edited by lolane1

I won't sail until longer after the cruise lines' self-inflicted disaster news stops pouring in. Like the sad report today: https://crew-center.com/costa-cruises-doctor-dies-after-testing-positive-covid-19

Simple fact is this: Even if the CDC abruptly withdrew its ban today, the cruise lines wouldn't be foolish enough to dispatch ships any time in the forseeable future.

They're already under the gun with class action suits, and can expect many more. They've already burned bridges in Australia, the U.S. and Japan at the very least. They've damaged their reputations horriblyAnd the industry simply could not withstand another Zaandam horror story.

So until the federal government & science deal with the virus, cruises aren't going anywhere - because you simply can't keep the passengers and crew  safe in the COVID-19 world as it is now.

I am ready to go when they are.....I would be happy to go on the first ship...out of LA, I live in Orange County. Don't have any underlining illnesses so that's a plus...if I did I would be more concerned.

Both my land trips have been moved to new years Oberammagau to 2022, Olympics 2021. Now getting a refund with my vendors is not going to happened, even holding airfare on one really??? Credit only and nothing extra... But, whatever.

Personally believe the Olympics should be moved out farther.

I am also someone who sailed on Panorama's Feb 29th one day delayed disembarkation due to a corona virus scare.

12 hours of waiting on the ship for the test results was very unpleasant. That was our first time back on Carnival since our honeymoon..30+ years ago..

I do have 4 future cruises booked..I would have no problem booking a cruise last minute as long as I did not have to fly. 2 of those cruises are on smaller ships, hoping their odds are better.

Edited by land lover

I would take the first cruise out of SF!! However.... I’m not willing to pay for a cruise that may not sail. So I’ll book a cruise but if they aren’t released to sail prior to final payment, I’m cancelling 

The vaccine  must be found and made readily  available before  we would consider cruising again We have the 14 Day Circle  Caribbean Cruise  booked already for January  2021 but  unless things change for the better I doubt we will be going  . Realistically ,  one year after the vaccine  has been given to all and then we will resume  cruising

Cruising will never be the same.  The cruise lines will have to make so many changes for safety reasons, it will take some time before they get it right and make cruising enjoyable again.  The cruise lines are hurting so bad for cash, they will need to figure out many new ways on how to take our cash and credit cards.  I will stay on the sidelines until the cruise lines learn how to handle this Coronavirus and then I will decide if and when to cruise again.

Thankfully we enjoy many types of vacations to many locations.  The most enjoyable locations for us are not accessible by cruise ship.  Therefore cruising for us, although an enjoyable alternative at times, appears to be no longer in our future.  It will be far too risky for us, both in the cruise ship close quarters and in having to fly to embarkation port.  Although we have taken over 40 cruises, I think there will be too many hassles associated with cruising in the future for us.  This pandemic has really enlightened me regarding health concerns with taking a cruise, and they far outweigh any enjoyment.  Thank goodness we enjoy driving vacations, that is what we will be taking in the future.

DW and I are booked for a Panama Canal (new canal) in 2021.  

If Princess doesn't cancel we'll be on that ship.

I understand everyone's reasoning for their decisions (even if I didn't it would matter, because it's your choice).  I hope we find a vaccine, everything returns to normal, and the suffering goes away.

Until then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and counting down the days.

I’d want to see 1-3 months of cruises going smoothly to feel comfortable. Things don’t have to be perfect; they aren’t normally, just that ports are accepting of the ships, the majority of people are healthy, restrictions aren’t so severe that we can’t have fun, and the U.S. is welcoming of returning passengers. 

Dear Princess,

It is apparent that many cruisers either wish to wait for an effective vaccine or see successful cruises run for a month or two with no COVID-19 cases.  It would seem you are going to need guinea-pigs volunteers for those first few cruises in order to have sufficient passengers on board for a valid test with a large group of people.  As an experienced Princess cruiser, my wife and I will be happy to volunteer for any experimental voyages.

Edited by Steelers36
7 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

Thankfully we enjoy many types of vacations to many locations.  The most enjoyable locations for us are not accessible by cruise ship.  Therefore cruising for us, although an enjoyable alternative at times, appears to be no longer in our future.  It will be far too risky for us, both in the cruise ship close quarters and in having to fly to embarkation port.  Although we have taken over 40 cruises, I think there will be too many hassles associated with cruising in the future for us.  This pandemic has really enlightened me regarding health concerns with taking a cruise, and they far outweigh any enjoyment.  Thank goodness we enjoy driving vacations, that is what we will be taking in the future.

We feel the same way and have many more options for vacations then cruising.....we can still see the world but we will not being playing Russian Roulette with our lives on a cruise ship which I am sure is going to highly restrictive for the passengers until we are guaranteed there is no chance of COVID-19 occurring during the cruise and that there are timely and effective treatments if it does.

9 hours ago, springfire said:

Cruising will never be the same.  The cruise lines will have to make so many changes for safety reasons, it will take some time before they get it right and make cruising enjoyable again.  The cruise lines are hurting so bad for cash, they will need to figure out many new ways on how to take our cash and credit cards.  I will stay on the sidelines until the cruise lines learn how to handle this Coronavirus and then I will decide if and when to cruise again.

I think you are right and maybe the Premium cruise lines with their smaller ships and much more personalized service then the mass market lines could be the ones that ultimately survive.....they already have a clientele where money does not seem to be a problem and they are able to access many more ports that large cruise ships really are not able to go to so their itineraries could be more flexible and varied.

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

I think you are right and maybe the Premium cruise lines with their smaller ships and much more personalized service then the mass market lines could be the ones that ultimately survive.....they already have a clientele where money does not seem to be a problem and they are able to access many more ports that large cruise ships really are not able to go to so their itineraries could be more flexible and varied.

I actually think the small lines (with small ships) will struggle even more during this crisis and recovery. 

On 4/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, GJCruiser said:

This is nothing more than any of our normal influenza virus - except there is no vaccine. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2020/04/19/the-number-are-in-covid-19-is-worse-than-the-flu-and-is-now-a-leading-cause-of-death/?outputType=amp

Still think its "nothing more than any of our normal influenza virus"?

13 hours ago, Coral said:

I actually think the small lines (with small ships) will struggle even more during this crisis and recovery. 

Why......they already have cruisers who are willing to pay way more for premium cruises than people on mass market lines and they already know their economies of scale which the mass lines will have to try and adjust to which will prove difficult if they have to sail a Royal class ship 1/2 full.

Plus there will be such a pent up demand for limited cruises that people will be willing to pay the price to cruise but maybe not as ofter.

Small ships are possibly more manageable and would not have the massive problems to deal with like the mega ships would in the age of COVID-19.

Cruising may go back to the days when people who were affluent were usually the ones cruising.

Edited by PrincessLuver

Cruising was already heading to the former class system of transatlantic sailing. The Suite Only areas, extra pay restaurants and deck areas etc. One of the problems I have with where cruise's had gone in recent years. If traveling with friends of various financial resources you were becoming more and more isolated by areas defined by ability to pay.

George in NY

Cruise lines are interested in my wallet, not my good health.

For us, there is no relationship between when cruising commences, how many cruises are completed, and our belief that cruising is a relatively safe for our health. 

Indeed,  the cruise line behaviour over the few months, weeks, and days leading up to this scourge and the halting of cruises has convinced us that cruise lines operating ships is no indication of how safe the cruise is from a customer health perspective.  Our feeling is that the opposite is true.

Edited by iancal
10 minutes ago, iancal said:

Cruise lines are interested in my wallet, not my good health.

For us, there is no relationship between when cruising commences, how many cruises are completed, and our belief that cruising is a relatively safe for our health. 

Indeed,  the cruise line behaviour over the few months, weeks, and days leading up to this scourge and the halting of cruises has convinced us that cruise lines operating ships is no indication of how safe the cruise is from a customer health perspective.  Our feeling is that the opposite is true.

I would think that if they are at all smart, they will have to make health a much bigger priority. If they resume and then have more negative incidents, actually even one more that the media can play up, that will be the end of cruising if not forever, at least for a very, very long time.