Larry Stepping Down!

Rabo

33 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Wondering what this could mean

All of us shall continue in his footsteps. Our Chief Operating Officer, Carol Cabezas, will lead the brand. And all our other senior executives, VPs and AVPs, remain in place...each dedicated to Azamara and the vision Larry inspired. 

25 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes, a very sad day imho

All of us are sad, but we are in good hands under Carol’s steady hand. 

And I am happy for Larry since he voluntarily stepped down to spend more time with his wife Sandy, his kids and his friends. I wish him so much happiness.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Just a thought.......With RCI Corporate trimming staff across the 3 brands by 26% maybe Larry saw this as a way to retire and save the company $$$.  

Royal Caribbean Cruises sheds 26% of US workers

Or maybe he just didn't want to deal with this mess.  Now RCI can accelerate the Royal Caribbeanization of Azamara that we've been seeing.  Maybe we can start bidding for laundry bags or free internet or Chef's Tables.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

And I am happy for Larry since he voluntarily stepped down to spend more time with his wife Sandy, his kids and his friends. I wish him so much happiness.

How old is he?

Rather than :

"we are committed to delivering more of the great vacations and unforgettable life experiences you have come to expect from Azamara."

I would have preferred to see something along the lines of :

We are committed to process your refunds and FCC for cruises we have cancelled, in a more timely and efficient manner than has occurred thus far.

I am allowed to dream . . . . 🤔

• Like 3

With RCL stock plummeting from a 52-week high of $135/share to today’s close under $36/share, maybe he’s abandoning ship with what little value he has left in his (likely significant) stock options, before (in his possible estimation) it gets any worse.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CA Oceanfront said:

With RCL stock plummeting from a 52-week high of $135/share to today’s close under $36/share, maybe he’s abandoning ship with what little value he has left in his (likely significant) stock options, before (in his possible estimation) it gets any worse.

Azamara’s Pimentel sells $1.9m in RCL stock

From Feb 7, Seatrade Cruise News

Perhaps, at 69, he’s concerned he won’t be able to get a  Fit to Travel letter!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Among those leaving is Larry Pimentel, CEO of Azamara Club Cruises and a highly respected industry innovator. In a letter that went out Wednesday to employees, Pimentel said he was stepping aside voluntarily to lessen the impact on others, and expressed confidence in the brand’s leadership."

It was a selfless act by an  amazing leader!

Edited by JsMom2
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Melissaghoti said:

Azamara’s Pimentel sells $1.9m in RCL stock

From Feb 7, Seatrade Cruise News

Perhaps, at 69, he’s concerned he won’t be able to get a  Fit to Travel letter!

Wow!  I dumped mine at $90 a share....wish I knew what he knew.....!  

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what happens to the entire cruise industry.  I suspect many ships will be sold or mothballed and several cruise brands will cease to exist.  With 3 old ships you have to wonder if Azamara has much of a path forward.

Edited by Xcelsior
  • Like 2

Just now, Xcelsior said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to the entire cruise industry.  I suspect many ships will be sold or mothballed and several cruise brands will cease to exist.  With 3 old ships you have to wonder if Azamara has much a path forward.

That’s exactly what I am thinking and have been thinking for quite some time!  Now to hear that Pimentel has resigned.....well.....doesn’t bode well for the Azamara brand, IMO.  
sorry to say that....it doesn’t give me pleasure to say that.

• Like 3

I love cruises, but you just would not get me on a ship in the next 12 months (at least).  I suspect most people feel that way and therefore don't understand how this industry can survive without major restructuring.  The new big ships are more cost efficient and maximize revenue, they have to be the focus.  The question will be...does anyone want to go on a big ship anymore?  Fewer passengers seems a lot more attractive in a COVID-19 environment....so maybe smaller ships will stand a chance?

• Like 2