Princess now asking for a second deposit

yoyo_man

Hi, I woke up this morning to an email from Princess advising that if I didn’t pay a deposit of £335 by the 15thApril (today is the 16th) my booking would be cancelled. I’d already paid a deposit at the time of booking and up to now the only additional payment I was aware of was the final payment of the balance 90 days before the start of the cruise.

Does anyone know if this is normal? I haven’t read of anyone being asked for a second deposit before and this feels like a scam to get more money in that has to eventually be converted to FCC if we decide to cancel due to the COVID-19 situation.

Just try calling them. I am sure its a mistake. In other case, it might be the problem on the side of a bank. You made a purchase but the bank did not transfer the money or did not finilize the transaction. There many things to it really. Try first calling the office, and then calling the bank to verify that the transfer of payment was successful. Should help

Their phone line doesn't appear to be working at the moment. However, this is not related to some issue with the initial deposit which was paid months ago. When viewing the booking online, the deposit paid at the time of booking is listed as paid and this new deposit is listed separately.

I've checked the confirmation I was emailed at the time of booking and it states the balance is not due until the 90 day mark. I've also just heared from friends we're traveling with and they've received the same email.

1 hour ago, yoyo_man said:

I've just spoken to Princess and it's an error caused by a move of the final payment date form 90 days to 60 days.

I have heard of someone else getting this message a couple of months ago and she paid it before looking into it. Glad you got through to Princess. I am currently having a lot of problems trying to use their website. Won’t let me take last step to book. 

We received the same email this morning and  I checked our original booking and the cancellation terms were also changed.i rang them and they said ignore everything in it but would not put this in writing to me I will be emailing them to confirm,if I was foolish or ignorant enough to pay and either of us cancelled I would not get my money back and would get a f.c.c which would have meant we had made an UNSECURED  loan to Princess which would be convenient for them but not for us.

3 hours ago, yoyo_man said:

I've just spoken to Princess and it's an error caused by a move of the final payment date form 90 days to 60 days.

We have cancelled our August cruise with just a refundable deposit, but before that I had called our TA and checked on the date for final payment. He said it had moved from 4/25 to 5/25, but there was a $100 penalty if using the later date. That did not seem to make sense, but now it looks like it was just that they had not done the computer reprogramming to eliminate the penalty if paying past that original due date.

33 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We have cancelled our August cruise with just a refundable deposit, but before that I had called our TA and checked on the date for final payment. He said it had moved from 4/25 to 5/25, but there was a $100 penalty if using the later date. That did not seem to make sense, but now it looks like it was just that they had not done the computer reprogramming to eliminate the penalty if paying past that original due date.

Our final payment date is 27 June on the original booking and the email received this morning so that is not a good excuse 

We've had the same email and a request for a second deposit is showing on our cruise. I assume from this thread that we can ignore it, but we had an email this morning chasing up the extra money and saying they'll cancel the cruise and we'll lose our deposit if we don't stump up the cash. 

Our final payment date doesn't seem to have changed, and we obviously paid a deposit when we booked. 

We will try to phone them but wanted to check in here too. 

Another interesting thing that happened to me.  I booked an Alaska cruise for next year on 4/13 on a hold basis.  Stated I needed to pay by 4/16 to hold reservation.  I did not.  Went in today to see if it was out of my planner and was still there. When I went into to payment section I found out to my delight that I don't have to pay the deposit until 5/13th!!!  Since this cruise is to replace my Alaska cruise for this July 12th (yes my cruise is still on at the moment), I am excited.  I can wait to then to either pay the final payment on this year's cruise or cancel and use that deposit for my new cruise!  So much neater!  Has anyone else come across this yet?

Pooh