When Marella restart

2 hours ago, Colbrit said:

The restart will be without Celebration which has been announced as being retired from the fleet from now.

Link? She is now absent from the Marella site though.

i would have thought Dream would be retired too.

Edited by davecttr

Well here is the weekend quiz to keep us busy during lockdown. 

For season 2020:which ships will run and what will the home ports be? 

For season 2021:which ships will run and what will the home ports be 

Keep safe 

OK that's the quiz what's the prize, a Tui cruise. Seriously my opinion is that no ships will cruise this season or if they do no one over 70 will be allowed to cruise as the FCO directive is still in place. Ports will be dependent on who will accept ships I do hope I am wrong as this does sound very negative on what is a good question, sorry FIFE1, 🙄

With you P on this regards no ship,Marella anyway not cruising this year.Cruises already cancelled up to at least June 30th.Say travel restrictions were eased then,time they organised/ implemented social distancing criteria,itinerary,crew,,entertainement etc etc just cant see it happening sadly

See p and o saying maybe an August start, however it will be a phased start. Marella much more difficult to start as you have the flying element too. 

Your probably correct Jim, you then have say the carribean looks doubtful to run fully in the winter. 

They have just done a 5 week dry Dock with the dream too. So zero return on the investment anytime soon

Only my opinion but the size of Marella ships may be in their favour when people are booking. I've never fancied the really big ships before but definitely not now. The new P&O ship Iona should be due to sail soon and would normally be popular but will be interesting to see whether people book these massive ships now.

When Marella restart should I cruise?

Is everyone vaccinated against coronavirus

Are there effective treatments

Can you get travel insurance at a price you can afford

Are you OK with using public transport to get to the airport

Are you OK with flying

Are you OK with sharing a ship with thousands of others and no effective social distancing.

Will the destinations allow the ships to dock

without the first two points being available the answer is no!

Maybe start with one or two ships and maybe more later if things go well. Marella may have a problem with only fly cruises and the hassle of flying. For me a cruise from the UK would be an attractive alternative. Or maybe a couple of long ferry trips to Spain for some whale watching.

Maybe a fair shout. As they have a number of ships sitting off Portsmouth (incl. the Celebration which is being retired), Dream is sitting in med and Disc 1 taking the long router home with a stop in Cape town for fuel etc.

1 hour ago, FIFE1 said:

Maybe a fair shout. As they have a number of ships sitting off Portsmouth (incl. the Celebration which is being retired), Dream is sitting in med and Disc 1 taking the long router home with a stop in Cape town for fuel etc.

Like Royal and P&O have just started to send there crew home and Marella doing the same,

1 hour ago, so,ton saint said:

Like Royal and P&O have just started to send there crew home and Marella doing the same,

Apparently Cunard and P&O have been transferring Indian crew members to Ventura which will sail to India on 15th May to repatriate them. So Cunard and P&O aren't about to restart any time soon and I would think neither is Marella. Possibly next spring/summer. We are already talking about cancelling our cruise for next February on E2.

Peter and Jenny

Even with any announcements re easing current lock down, is see over the weekend that they don't see theaters opening pre 2021. So I think Jim maybe spot on, how do you run a cruise ship (1) Social distancing around pool? (2) Bar area. (3) Shows?

So I guess its 2021 most probably.

Keep safe everyone

Yes that professor doesnt hold out much hope for tourism does he. Everyone banking on a vaccine but dont hold your breath on that coming soon they have still to get one for aids and that broke out 40 years ago, they cant even get one for the common cold for that matter. I think this is with us for a considerable time.

Posted today by TUI Group

TUI Group has said it expects to restart cruise service this summer, but with less occupancy.

The company, which oversees the TUI, Hapag-Lloyd and Marella brands, said the changes will start at boarding, with new health questionnaires. screening preboarding and staggered boarding groups.

The company also said it plans to start with less than 1,000 guests on each ship until August 31, 2020, meaning TUI's big ships, with capacity for just under 3,000 guests, would be sailing at approximately one third occupancy, allowing for much more distance in public areas.

Other changes include the elimination of self-service food. Public venues will also be limited to one third of their capacity. Only 10 children will be allowed in the Kids’ Club aboard, the company said.

In addition, the ships will operate at what TUI called OPP-3 (Outbreak Prevention Plan Level 3), meaning constant cleaning of touched services, every 30 minutes or less. The company said it expects to have COVID-19 testing capabilities aboard with additional medical staff.

The cruise line will work closely with ports to develop joint procedures to handle any possible COVID-19 cases, according to a statement

1 hour ago, FIFE1 said:

Posted today by TUI Group

TUI Group has said it expects to restart cruise service this summer, but with less occupancy.

The company, which oversees the TUI, Hapag-Lloyd and Marella brands, said the changes will start at boarding, with new health questionnaires. screening preboarding and staggered boarding groups.

The company also said it plans to start with less than 1,000 guests on each ship until August 31, 2020, meaning TUI's big ships, with capacity for just under 3,000 guests, would be sailing at approximately one third occupancy, allowing for much more distance in public areas.

Other changes include the elimination of self-service food. Public venues will also be limited to one third of their capacity. Only 10 children will be allowed in the Kids’ Club aboard, the company said.

In addition, the ships will operate at what TUI called OPP-3 (Outbreak Prevention Plan Level 3), meaning constant cleaning of touched services, every 30 minutes or less. The company said it expects to have COVID-19 testing capabilities aboard with additional medical staff.

The cruise line will work closely with ports to develop joint procedures to handle any possible COVID-19 cases, according to a statement

.. …. and it will all go pear shaped when the first onboard case of coronavirus is diagnosed. Those boarding safeguards won't stop a symptom free infected passenger boarding. 

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

.. …. and it will all go pear shaped when the first onboard case of coronavirus is diagnosed. Those boarding safeguards won't stop a symptom free infected passenger boarding. 

And don`t forget if that does happen all of the other passengers and crew are stuck onboard in quarantine.

I personally don`t see the reward worth the risk if cruising isn`t going to be as enjoyable as it was pre virus. Marella might see risk and reward differently.

26 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

I must be missing something 🤔 have the Government lifted all travel restrictions? 

No, but I imagine they are putting it out there for consumer confidence for when they can re-start the programme.

Until the insurance industry can sort out insurance I for one will not be travelling and I say that with a heavy heart as I love cruising.

In my household is my 70 year old Dad who had Covid19 recently whilst we’ve been in lock down abroad and was hospitalised with a DVT and pulmonary embolism. I can’t risk bringing Covid19 into our home when he’s in the U.K.