We booked two cruises in Nov. 2019. May and Dec 2020.  We recieved FCC for the May cruise and were planning on using them for final payment on the Dec. cruise. Being over 70 and not being able to have our Dr. sign off on us, are our FCC,s worthless or do you think RCCL will have to give us a refund for the value of the FCC,s? Thanks for your thoughts.

3 minutes ago, jor3334 said:

We booked two cruises in Nov. 2019. May and Dec 2020.  We recieved FCC for the May cruise and were planning on using them for final payment on the Dec. cruise. Being over 70 and not being able to have our Dr. sign off on us, are our FCC,s worthless or do you think RCCL will have to give us a refund for the value of the FCC,s? Thanks for your thoughts.

Call back and ask for the cash refund because of the 70's rule.

Edited by Jimbo

I saw where you have until the end of next year to request a refund, ... though I am not sure who it applies to.

You can transfer your fcc to someone else.

I'm turning 70 later this year and hoping to get around the letter. Carnival removed the letter from their site so I'm hoping rcl does the same and it was only for those few cruises right before the shut down.

RCI should convert the FCC to a refund if because of some new rule the FCC becomes worthless to the customer. People should not have to deal with the problem of transferring or selling the FCC. Now, whether RCI sees it that way or not is a different story.

28 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

I understand OP's concern.  This doctor's letter, (unless the language is changed)  might actually cause us to start cruising on another cruise line.

Was/is a Cruise industry Rule. 

Dh had a telehealth doctor appt yesterday.  Doctor said he do the letter.  Dh is over 70.  Takes meds for cholesterol and blood pressure,  but not a problem.   Hope my doctor will also.   We have a November cruise scheduled. 

My doctor said NO WAY would he give a letter saying It was OK to cruise, he would be looking at a law-suit from the cruise line if anything happened to me on the cruise, by the way wife & myself are both over 80 & take VERY little medication & are in very good health.

george35

hoping my husband's doctor will sign the stupid letter if still in effect end of June when we have our next cruise.  He knows hubby is super healthy and they get along great, long relationship as his doctor, so hoping he will sign it if we still have to.

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed.  No way would I take a FCC right now.  From any cruise line.

We are totally taking the 125% FCC.  Cruising is going to happen again.  We have 18 booked so have lots we can apply them to.  I have faith that this is going to end!

56 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Was/is a Cruise industry Rule. 

Yes, I understand cruise industry rule, but Royal and I think NCL still has to have doctor's letter signed.  Carnival does not require letter now.  That is why I said if Royal continues with letter, we will have to change cruise lines.  We are healthy but over 70. Hopefully by our next cruise, the letter will have been reworded or rescinded. 

Just now, karena1 said:

We are totally taking the 125% FCC.  Cruising is going to happen again.  We have 18 booked so have lots we can apply them to.  I have faith that this is going to end!

Oh I agree it's going to end.  My fear is that cruise lines may have to declare bankruptcy, and that the FCC's will become worthless.  Unlikely, I know, but still.  I hope I'm wrong.

Just now, time4u2go said:

Oh I agree it's going to end.  My fear is that cruise lines may have to declare bankruptcy, and that the FCC's will become worthless.  Unlikely, I know, but still.  I hope I'm wrong.

Again, I just believe in staying positive and not allowing myself to think doom and gloom.  We all survived the 2008 crash, we can survive this also, but they need to get the world back to work and moving again.

1 minute ago, karena1 said:

At one time, we would have taken the 125% FCC, but at our age I think we would be better with full refund. Yes, cruising will happen, but will everyone be able to go??

2 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

At one time, we would have taken the 125% FCC, but at our age I think we would be better with full refund. Yes, cruising will happen, but will everyone be able to go??

my husband is over 70 and we are still staying optimistic about it all

I think it is so wrong to request a letter from someone over 70.  I know people in their 40's and 50's who are not as healthy as me and they do not need a letter.  I would get one however, from my Dr.  If it is my decision to go on a cruise and know all the risks then any Dr. should sign the letter.  I know we are sue happy but I would sign a waiver also.  I just get furious with the idea that I am being discriminated against because of my age.  Now, all you do-gooders, this is my opinion and you do not have to berate me for my opinion.  We all do what we feel we have to.

2 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I think it is so wrong to request a letter from someone over 70.  I know people in their 40's and 50's who are not as healthy as me and they do not need a letter.  I would get one however, from my Dr.  If it is my decision to go on a cruise and know all the risks then any Dr. should sign the letter.  I know we are sue happy but I would sign a waiver also.  I just get furious with the idea that I am being discriminated against because of my age.  Now, all you do-gooders, this is my opinion and you do not have to berate me for my opinion.  We all do what we feel we have to.

So agree.  My husband is  healthy and we would also sign any kind of waivers as we are not sue happy.  Lots of people younger than him that are not nearly as healthy as him.  We just want to cruise.  I think his doctor will sign one also if need be, just hate that he has to ask him to do it.  Hopefully, this requirement will go away soon.  

43 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Have you done this?   

not yet, I would have to wait 10 years......but can't see it not working. Just say that's what my Doctor told me.............. it's written right there and signed, you want to call him?

Edited by Jimbo
17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

not yet, I would have to wait 10 years......but can't see it not working. Just say that's what my Doctor told me.............. it's written right there and signed, you want to call him?

Since the Dr's note is not a requirement to book or sail....for now....I don't think RCI would issue a refund. When sailings start again and, if it's then a requirement to sail, there may be an option to ask for a refund. 

Both of us are 74. We have probably gone on our last cruise. I have underlying health issues that have been under control for several years. We are both are active. I have been clearing downed limbs and brush  from the back of our property, trimming bushes, power washing the driveway, etc. I monitor my blood pressure and heart rate on a regular basis and get INR checks monthly.  Even so, my family doctor said 'No' to signing the note with the current wording. I know the cardiologist would say 'No' even before I asked. I guess it is back to beach for us.

We have three cruise reservations. One in November for my wife's 75th birthday and one in February for my 75th birthday. A third cruise is to areas was have not visited in the Caribbean. So in unless Royal changes the wording on the note....good-bye Royal from two D+ cruisers.