Cruise ending in Deggendorf

Our Avalon cruise will be ending in Deggendorf. Hope to catch a train to our next destination and wondering if the cruise desk will arrange a taxi to take us to Prattling or what other options there may be?

They will call a taxi no problem.  We needed on in Basel to get to the train station and they just needed to know what time we had to be there for.  We don't use Uber or other forms (rural, don't really have cabs out our way), so not sure if they are there or not. 

Book your train tickets through the Deutsche Bahn site, you won't have any 3rd party charges.  If you book about 4 months in advance, tickets are a good price.

Edited by Daisi

The Uber model is illegal in Germany, but in a few large cities you can get "licensed Uber drivers" in taxis. So a taxi will be likely for you. Deggendorf is a smaller town, I did not even know it has become an embarkation port, must have missed that. As Daisi said, they will be happy to assist you on the ship. In addition to a Deutsche Bahn booking you can familiarise yourself with rail travel in Germany and beyond through https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm or its computer version of course.

notamermaid

Thank you Daisi & notamermaid,, We haven't had issues on previous Avalon cruises organising a taxi to tarin stations, just wasn't sure about this being a smaller town. Will definitely use Deutsche Bahn to purchase our tickets, Let's hope that the water levels on the Danube are all OK and this dreaded virus is sorted by May 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

Ikesyd, I'm hoping the same, we are doing the Avalon Blue Danube Discovery (Budapest to Prague) May next year.  Oh well, we will go with the same attitude we did with the Rhine... we are going to see something come H. or high water!

Daisi, yes not much we can do about the weather or water levels - just need to go with the flow! After the year we have had here in Oz, high or low water will not be an issue!!

Are you staying a few extra days in Budapest? We hope to arrive the day before and looking at hotels to stay at and what to do that won't conflict with the Avalon activities.

11 hours ago, ikesyd said:

Are you staying a few extra days in Budapest? We hope to arrive the day before and looking at hotels to stay at and what to do that won't conflict with the Avalon activities.

ikesyd, we had six days in Budapest last year.  Beautiful place!  We stayed at the Marriott in an Executive Room - the views from both our room and the Executive Lounge were simply stunning.  Highly recommend.

Our trip includes 2 nights in Budapest and 2 nights in Prague.  We did the Rhine last time and did Amsterdam on our own (would have loved to do Zurich as well, but it was to expensive).  Our trip includes a introductory tour of Budapest on the first full day which I figure lasts the morning.  I plan on booking a tour of the Parliament buildings that afternoon as we won't have to worry about carrying around our electronics (tablets, cameras & phones) and having to lock them in a locker.  For the last day, we have the whole day to wander around, they say we have to be on our boat by 5:00.  I'm guessing that we will either pull out either during dinner or (hopefully) after.  We are planning on an evening boat tour just in case, so the 1st day will be busy!  There is lots to see in Budapest, look for forums that are for the city, the people there are very helpful in the one I am in (not sure I can mention it, but it is part of a very popular advisor forum).  If you are looking into taking the trams & buses, get the day pass (or for whatever time you are there) over individual tickets, as it seems as if the ticket inspectors like to check everyone...and because tourists don't always check the rules, they get caught with a large fine.

Thanks Daisi, I know the site you are using - yes it is very helpful! Hadn't thought of an evening cruise so will look into that. Are you staying at the Avalon Hotel or another hotel?

We will be at the Avalon one, as it's part of our cruise...arrive early in the morning, then 2 nights then on the boat.  Not sure if you are interested in the Bath's, we aren't,  but there looks like lots to see & just wander around with.  We will be getting the 72 hr tram / bus pass once we arrive, and as Avalon will be doing our flights we will be picked up there and taken to the hotel.  

If you haven't arranged your flights yet, have your TA request Avalon to look into them.  When we did the Rhine cruise, they beat all prices we could get, both by my online searches & my TA's search.  We just told them who we wanted to fly with, and they gave us a quote that was really good.   Right now, we are locked in at a guaranteed "high" rate with them, but are not totally committed, so if we find a better price, the monies we put down for the flights gets applied to the cruise.  

Not interested in the baths either! We have a voucher with Emirates for our flights as we cancelled our Europe travel plans for this August and re planned for May 2021(though a totally different itinerary!!!). We will have transfers provided by Emirates. Just hope that international travel will be possible and safe by May next year.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, Daisi said:

We will be at the Avalon one, as it's part of our cruise...arrive early in the morning, then 2 nights then on the boat.  Not sure if you are interested in the Bath's, we aren't,  but there looks like lots to see & just wander around with.  We will be getting the 72 hr tram / bus pass once we arrive, and as Avalon will be doing our flights we will be picked up there and taken to the hotel.  

If you haven't arranged your flights yet, have your TA request Avalon to look into them.  When we did the Rhine cruise, they beat all prices we could get, both by my online searches & my TA's search.  We just told them who we wanted to fly with, and they gave us a quote that was really good.   Right now, we are locked in at a guaranteed "high" rate with them, but are not totally committed, so if we find a better price, the monies we put down for the flights gets applied to the cruise.  

I agree ... Avalon did a fab job booking our flights for a Normandy cruise last March ... too bad everything was cancelled before we could enjoy biz class flights booked at a very good rate.

On 4/30/2020 at 1:29 AM, djh1959 said:

ikesyd, we had six days in Budapest last year.  Beautiful place!  We stayed at the Marriott in an Executive Room - the views from both our room and the Executive Lounge were simply stunning.  Highly recommend.

Really looking forward to a few days in Budapest at the end of our cruise next May.  Last time there, we stayed at the Hilton up on Fisherman's Bastion ... fabulous hotel, can't wait to return there.

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Really looking forward to a few days in Budapest at the end of our cruise next May.  Last time there, we stayed at the Hilton up on Fisherman's Bastion ... fabulous hotel, can't wait to return there.

When will you be there in May?  We sail out on the 12th heading to Nuremberg.

For our cruise, they only list the Sofitel, Mariott and the InterContinental.  They used to have the Hilton, but i guess they figured it would be better to have everyone over on the other side of the river. 

May I ask what your room was like?  We have never done the land extensions, not sure if you get any view, what type of room etc.  

Thanks,

55 minutes ago, Daisi said:

When will you be there in May?  We sail out on the 12th heading to Nuremberg.

For our cruise, they only list the Sofitel, Mariott and the InterContinental.  They used to have the Hilton, but i guess they figured it would be better to have everyone over on the other side of the river. 

May I ask what your room was like?  We have never done the land extensions, not sure if you get any view, what type of room etc.  

Thanks,

We sail from Munich on 4 May, so will spend several days at the end of the cruise in Budapest, sandwiched around a couple days in Vienna.  I'm booking this all independently; the cruise line's pre- and post-extensions always seem way overpriced to me.  That road trip Prague-Buda was my introduction to Hilton Honors ...  I had been playing airline frequent flyer games for several years, but had never bothered with hotels.   While I was researching this trip, I just couldn't "get" the language, nothing was sticking in my mind.  So I decided to just book Hiltons in Prague and Budapest.  I had signed up for HHonors and ended up with lots of points; that started the hotel part of the FF game.

During the trip, neither country's language ever did resonate with me; we'd hit the streets and never knew what we were doing or where we were going or what we were eating.  We'd return to the Hilton and the front desk people would sing out "Welcome back, Mrs Nelson, how was your day?".  That's when I became a Hilton loyalist.  On that trip, our room was "sub-level" with windows looking out at ground level ... it was fine, but this visit I'm a Diamond, so I expect the best room in the hotel!   And Hilton usually delivers.  The hotel is sort of built in to the side of an ancient church, has loads of atmosphere but our room was spacious and modern.  The Hop-Stop bus came right by the Hilton.  In addition to the sightseeing bus, I remember walking everywhere from that Hilton.

We did China with Viking last November, the hotels were fabulous, but there are no special perks, so I'd rather book independently.  We always arrive a couple days early before a trip, so I book at the host hotel for a night or two ... getting the front desk to grasp that I'm paying for those nights and the cruise line is paying for "their" nights is always challenging.

BTW, we stumbled on a "Communist Sculpture Park" outside of Budapest where they had arranged all the huge statues after removing them.  We've never forgotten it.  It was absolutely fascinating, you should try to get out there.  

Looks like we will just miss each other.  I thought you had stayed with Avalon at the Hilton.  We did the same in Amsterdam with our points (not a Hilton, through Wyndham).  We booked our own hotel, they have 2 ways to book, either a full night at no cost or a (very) discounted rate using part of your points.  We ended up with a beautiful corner suite, looking out over the city, it was great! 

I know what you mean by the language.  I am learning German, read Dutch, speak a bit of Quebecois (not perfect,but got me by in France), however Hungarian & Czech are way over my head.  I have enough to know what we will be basically ordering to eat, and hopefully enough to ask for produce by pointing in the market.  They have a lot of English there from what I hear and see online, so I'm not overly concerned. 

I know of the Sculpture Park.  It is something we are thinking of looking at......so much to see, so little time!

Edited by Daisi