Credit card dispute worked

Shynook11

Filed a services not received dispute with my cc company for our cruise that was to sail on March 13th.  So far, I’ve been refunded 4100.  Waiting on some shore excursions, two thru carnival and 2 separate vendors.  Faster way to get your refund... and if you are one who keeps a balance on your cc those charges are accruing interest while you wait for a refund. May be a good option for those worried about the refund process. 

Edited by Shynook11
  • Like 3

it does not work. the credit card company gives you a temporary credit/refund. when carnival does officially give you a refund, the credit card company has their right to take back that temporary credit

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Shynook11 said:

Filed a services not received dispute with my cc company for our cruise that was to sail on March 13th.  So far, I’ve been refunded 4100.  Waiting on some shore excursions, two thru carnival and 2 separate vendors.  Faster way to get your refund... and if you are one who keeps a balance on your cc those charges are accruing interest while you wait for a refund. May be a good option for those worried about the refund process. 

It is standard procedure for a credit card company to refund the disputed amount when you dispute a charge. Once your credit card company completes their investigation there is a good chance the charges will be reinstated. Also, and this may not matter to you, but it is also fairly common for cruise lines to ban passengers who dispute legitimate charges. 

• Like 7

Also, many times you will not be able to use that card again with the company in which you disputed the charge.  Future charges by that company will be rejected by the credit card issuer.  That may not be a big deal for you unless it is a Carnival Barclay credit card and you are using it for the points.  If you are keeping a balance though, the points certainly don't make up for the interest paid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It is standard procedure for a credit card company to refund the disputed amount when you dispute a charge. Once your credit card company completes their investigation there is a good chance the charges will be reinstated. Also, and this may not matter to you, but it is also fairly common for cruise lines to ban passengers who dispute legitimate charges. 

Not sure if I will ever sail with carnival again but will they actually refuse you if you file a dispute? (For not getting the refund that was stated to be in 10-14 days)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Not sure if I will ever sail with carnival again but will they actually refuse you if you file a dispute? (For not getting the refund that was stated to be in 10-14 days)

I would think/hope Carnival wouldn’t do anything in light of the COVID-19 virus. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Carnival has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

Correct

I will likely be attacked for a response to this. I would have never considered going through a credit card dispute until now! There is no answers as to when to get a refund and when out thousands of dollars....its a thought. Carnival does not give any straight answers as to when. I know the telephone attendants do not know, but Carnival knows and could communicate what the hold up is.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

I will likely be attacked for a response to this. I would have never considered going through a credit card dispute until now! There is no answers as to when to get a refund and when out thousands of dollars....its a thought. Carnival does not give any straight answers as to when. I know the telephone attendants do not know, but Carnival knows and could communicate what the hold up is.

Actually they do have an idea 90 days.  Patience is a virtue.  

• Like 7

Carnival has said from the beginning that it could take up to 90 days. They've never tried to hide that as far as I can see. I rolled my cancelled cruise fare over into another cruise but would love to get my excursion and fun shop payments back but it's only been just over 30 days so I'm being patient and hoping they get around to it sooner than later. 

• Like 4

We only have a small refundable deposit and a smaller shore excursion that we are waiting for, actually from Princess. Our cruise was to be in July. When I called the TA to cancel, I was told that there would be a wait as they were still working on March refunds. I expect them in good faith to refund money, but realize it will take quite a while, so I will wait a few months before even considering bringing the credit card company into it.

OTOH, we had a trip to NY on a bus with tickets to a Broadway play on our credit card from a local merchant. When it was announced that Broadway plays were all cancelled, I called the merchant and asked for a refund. I was told that he does not give refunds (which it does say on his website). I replied that that cannot possibly apply when he can no longer provide the service contracted for. He still maintained his position of no refunds until I said fine I will contact the credit card company. At that point just the threat of that made him back down, and my card has since been credited back the money I had charged.

• Like 1

I received a letter from the cc company with the credit back (after completing paperwork and they conducted their research.  Investigation complete...the refund is not temporary.   The last I spoke with Carnival they said it could take longer than 90 days.  Not waiting forever.  Worked for me.  The CC company actually had a specific dept for covid 19 related disputes and the agent I was speaking with said she'd been dealing with cruise/airline/travel disputes a lot these past few weeks.  Do I care if Carnival would refuse service?  No.

Edited by Shynook11
add info
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, Shynook11 said:

I received a letter from the cc company with the credit back (after completing paperwork and they conducted their research.  Investigation complete...the refund is not temporary.   The last I spoke with Carnival they said it could take longer than 90 days.  Not waiting forever.  Worked for me.  The CC company actually had a specific dept for covid 19 related disputes and the agent I was speaking with said she'd been dealing with cruise/airline/travel disputes a lot these past few weeks.  Do I care if Carnival would refuse service?  No.

Very fast service and research, considering the thousands of people they must be dealing with.  How long ago did you put in your initial complaint?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually they do have an idea 90 days.  Patience is a virtue.  

Easy to say when you’re retired and not effected by unemployment.

If I had $4000 hung up with a cruise line and was on employment I’d most definitely dispute the charge on my credit card. Shame on Carnival and all the other travel companies holding on to people’s money for services not rendered. And shame on all the posters who have posted any negative comments to the OP for using a legal recourse to get their money back from a company operating in bad faith. 90 days to process refunds is ridiculous and is just putting the companies financial troubles on their customers. How about take back 13 million dollar annual compensation packages from their CEO and give people back their money so they can pay their bills and feed their families. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Shynook11 said:

I am feeling the same. I am in the first round of cancellations, Actually March 13 is the date I was forced to cancel. Carnival did not shut down until after that. The most frustrating thing is the 10-14 day letter that I have been told is automatically generated. Surely someone can turn off the automatically generated letter!  As stated I am in the first round of cancelatons and still nothing.  (did get back the extras paid for-automatic, just not the cruise fare and flights and prepaid gratuties) Feel bad for those who carnival kept booking for our cruise (and denying cruise was cancelled regardless as to what the president was saying on tv!) and the ones cancelled after as they will have a lengthy wait! As far as caring about cruising with Carnival, I think I am done with them...if I ever cruise again! (I was an avid cruiser!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shynook11 said:

You showed them

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I thought I would put my one cent in.  If you have been laid off and spent your savings on bills and food, fine go this route and dispute charges.  It is understandable that some may need the funds and can't afford to wait.  This is something that came out of the blue.  Now if you are like me and you are still being paid and can afford to wait - then patience is a virtue.  Do what is right for you and your circumstances.  I usually pay cash so I would have had to wait.  Thank goodness my cruise was the last one before this all began. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shynook11 said:

Thank you for coming back and clarifying. I am very surprised that you were able to get the charge completely removed so quickly, I didn’t think that was possible but evidently it is. I am glad it worked out for you and agree that Carnival has not handled the refunds well at all and I understand your frustration. I rebooked twice but do have refunds coming also and have been waiting over 30 days so far. I am determined to cruise again so will wait it out but I keep checking every day to see if the refunds are posted, that’s getting old! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Easy to say when you’re retired and not effected by unemployment.

If I had $4000 hung up with a cruise line and was on employment I’d most definitely dispute the charge on my credit card. Shame on Carnival and all the other travel companies holding on to people’s money for services not rendered. And shame on all the posters who have posted any negative comments to the OP for using a legal recourse to get their money back from a company operating in bad faith. 90 days to process refunds is ridiculous and is just putting the companies financial troubles on their customers. How about take back 13 million dollar annual compensation packages from their CEO and give people back their money so they can pay their bills and feed their families.

While I'm not advocating for a 90 day refund, it's not them just deciding to screw everyone. Many of these companies literally don't have enough cash flow on hand to just hand out millions of dollars instantly.

If you can't feed your family because of a cruise you already agreed to, that's not Carnival's fault.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ray98 said:

Wow....what luck you got the letter just after you started the topic.

I find the timing almost unbelievable. Even if things played out exactly the way   the OP stated, I would not do something like that. However, what I am learning pretty fast on this site is a lot of people booked cruises when they really weren’t in a position to afford the cruise financially. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I find the timing almost unbelievable. Even if things played out exactly the way   the OP stated, I would not do something like that. However, what I am learning pretty fast on this site is a lot of people booked cruises when they really weren’t in a position to afford the cruise financially. 

Well said.  

• Like 5