Marella Cancellations - Customer Service up to scratch?

Before everyone jumps up and down to defend Marella and how busy they are.... blah de blah....

I am curious what loyal customers think of the Customer Service in this difficult time.... 

We should have sailed in 15th March on Dream - cancelled on 13th by Marella.... over a month later still no refund despite calls to Customer Service and being told different things including it’s being dealt with in date order ( which I don’t believe or it’s taken over a month to refund 13th & 14th - us being one of the 1st cruises cancelled).

We are loyal customers this being our 13th year with Tui/Marella..... however EVEN TAKING ACCOUNT of the difficult times I personally find over 5 weeks waiting for a refund to be processed totally unacceptable and bad customer service.   They were also not allowing changes to dates pre-cancellation despite having 3 members in the party who were deemed ‘requiring shielding due to age and/or respiratory conditions) unlike other cruise lines who were.

Will we stick with Marella after this.... I seriously doubt it.  In my opinion when the going got tough Customer welfare came lower for them than profit - they only took action when their hands were forced by Spain banning ships.

We will be looking elsewhere...... what about you ?

We were due to sail today 😞 my main issue is there lack of communication.  It was only cancelled last Weds, we messaged them on fb and asked and right up until the last day they were still saying it was going ahead, when we all knew it wasn't.   Other cruise lines have posted regular updates and kept their websites up to date with apologies, updates etc.. I appreciate they are up against it and their staff are undoubtedly working very hard but communication and openness costs nothing.

24 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Only ever cruised with Thomson Marella, just love the onboard staff, we are already looking at other lines in particular Celebrity. 

Hi PC. Hope all is well.

Same here ,The Marella product suits us and is the only cruise line that we have ever used

Unfortunately Marella have been massively let down by its parent company.

we will definitely be looking at other providers when we can travel again. I certainly feel for customers like yourself who's loyalty is being repaid with such disrespect.

Keep well and stay safe.

Edited by Brummijam

1 hour ago, mike x ftc said:

We were due to sail today 😞 my main issue is there lack of communication.  It was only cancelled last Weds, we messaged them on fb and asked and right up until the last day they were still saying it was going ahead, when we all knew it wasn't.   Other cruise lines have posted regular updates and kept their websites up to date with apologies, updates etc.. I appreciate they are up against it and their staff are undoubtedly working very hard but communication and openness costs nothing.

Laying off most of the call centre staff and then blaming staff shortages is just gross management incompetence.

13 hours ago, KevinandSally said:

I think you all need to check the latest on the TUI web site. Those of you who have been waiting seem to be getting some movement but those due to travel and who have been cancelled may have to wait a while but things have been made clearer.

Yes - Tui have now spelt out that they don't want to give refunds if they can avoid it - 12 months wait - they obviously hope customers wont question their 'rules' but underestimate the determination and intelligence of their customers

I hope that TUI realise what upset they have caused by their confusing refund policy BUT that in the future they will acknowledge those cruisers who have stayed loyal to them when this is all over and offer loyalty rewards like other lines

Edited by Vitalsign

Why would you think they would reward loyalty when this is over?

They have never rewarded  loyalty in the past when all was well.

The voucher offering with  Up to 20% discount isn’t worth a lot and will it cover the inevitable price increases?

Flying pigs and pink elephants come to mind.

Marella / Tui are clearly not offering anywhere near the customer service levels that a large established company should.

This needs to be seen in the context of MARELLA having 6 ships with sizes ranging from 631 to 962 cabins each.

Hardly a significant amount of bookings to handle considering the size of the company & occupancy cruise booking levels.

The Covid 19 issue has been a travel problem for many many weeks now.

I have been trying to AMEND my online booked cruise online (as they have repeatedly suggested), which is not available/possible and being told instead to call them to amend.

Of the myriad of phone numbers listed everywhere, not one is ever answered)

I have tried holding on for almost 2 hours on several occasions over the past 3 weeks.

Yesterday (sat) and today (sun) in calling (around 13:15 pm) the various phones are answered, all with the same message "sorry our offices are closed now and to call in opening hours - stating the opening hours to be:-  mon - fri 09:00 to 19:00, sat 09:00 to 19:00 and sun 10:00 to 17:00)

Not only are they contemptuous of their customer base, ineffective functional communication, but won't even simply change their answering machine message to reflect reality.

Make you think with all this ducking and diving that the inevitable is about to happen .......... GOING BUST ......... along with our money ............. 

1 hour ago, Vitalsign said:

TUI have been given €1.6billion to help them by the German government according info online so that should keep them afloat - excuse the pun

1.6 billion should pay the directors salaries for a while.

If the €1.6billion is true (loads of fake news going around) .............

Cannot believe any large long standing company would wanting behave in such a despicable and irresponsible way.

Why ???

Why??

Why?

..... obviously something going on!!

19 minutes ago, kyleshawney said:

If the €1.6billion is true (loads of fake news going around) .............

Cannot believe any large long standing company would wanting behave in such a despicable and irresponsible way.

Why ???

Why??

Why?

..... obviously something going on!!

image.png.46b0c0ad983d4ed9e1a42852687851c4.png

22 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Only ever cruised with Thomson Marella, just love the onboard staff, we are already looking at other lines in particular Celebrity. 

We have booked celebrity for next February. Same price as Marella but I've got an infinite veranda on the edge 😁

10 minutes ago, Calton said:

We have booked celebrity for next February. Same price as Marella but I've got an infinite veranda on the edge 😁

I looked at Marella for the Caribbean at the end of the year. They must be having a laugh.  Good ships are cheaper.

4 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

TUI have been given €1.6billion to help them by the German government according info online so that should keep them afloat - excuse the pun

To avoid any confusion it is a repayable loan from commercial and state owned banks which has been guaranteed by the German government rather than a bail out or just being given the money. TUI will have to repay it to the lenders on the terms it has agreed with them.