Ocho Rios or Montego Bay

rnckr123

Ocho has Dunns River Falls which is a popular destination/excursion ....

otherwise I'd say it's a toss up .....

(you sometimes see DRF as an excursion from Montego ... but it is a long bus ride!!!!  In Ocho you are about 10 minutes from DRF)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I've been to both and done drastically different things. Everything in Montego Bay seemed to be an hour or more drive away, unless you wanted a beach. Things seem a lot closer to Ocho Rios.

Do not underestimate how motion sick you will be on the back country/interior Jamaician roads. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sorry, because I didn't answer your question.  I've been to both Montego Bay and Falmouth.  Falmouth is the better of these two.  They have a little closed off port village.  I haven't been outside the fence, but they usually have some performers as well as the shops where you can get Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee.  I think I got a better price at Dunn River Falls.  Avoid their open market.  Everyone has their hand out.  They give you a "ungift" but not a gift, because they ask for tips.   We handed the "ungift" back, and walked away.   This was the second time w/ the hand out request.  Someone offered to take our photo in front of the falls, and out came the hand and the tip request.  I heard if you don't tip them, they summon the police.  So, if you do go ashore, bring lots of ones.  By the time we returned to the ship,we were out of tip money, and our guide lost out.  I bet we would have had enough money if the tour hadn't stretched to 9 hours.

I wasn't worried, because we'd heard that if you get a ship tour, they'll hold the ship for you.

Edited by knittinggirl