Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MADflyer

No direct connection to sailing - Allure March 1 TA passenger dies of COVID-19

Recommended Posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

 

Not sure I understand your choice of title 🤔

 

But you sure can see the slant in the two very different stories. 

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Not sure I understand your choice of title 

Well, It was not my place to post the title of the NYT article. "A Beloved Bar Owner Was Skeptical About the Virus. Then He Took a Cruise."  

 

The article also states that one of the bartenders at the bar had also passed away of COVID-19. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MADflyer said:

Well, It was not my place to post the title of the NYT article. "A Beloved Bar Owner Was Skeptical About the Virus. Then He Took a Cruise."  

 

The article also states that one of the bartenders at the bar had also passed away of COVID-19. 

 

I've read the NY Times article 3 times and I can't seem to pick that second death up. 

 

FWIW, NY isnt far behind the entire country of Spain. Lots of Petri dishes. And what about Joe heafing to New Hampshire. When was that discouraged, probably after, I can't recall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

I've read the NY Times article 3 times and I can't seem to pick that second death up. 

 

FWIW, NY isnt far behind the entire country of Spain. Lots of Petri dishes. And what about Joe heafing to New Hampshire. When was that discouraged, probably after, I can't recall

2/3 of the way down states: 

 

The following day, Artie Nelson, one of his longtime bartenders at JJ Bubbles, and also in his 70s, died of the virus as well.

It is possible, of course, that Joe Joyce did not contract the coronavirus on a trip to Spain,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

2/3 of the way down states: 

 

The following day, Artie Nelson, one of his longtime bartenders at JJ Bubbles, and also in his 70s, died of the virus as well.

It is possible, of course, that Joe Joyce did not contract the coronavirus on a trip to Spain,

 

Thanks, not sure how I missed that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MADflyer said:

 

Edited by atgood
Delet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MADflyer said:

2/3 of the way down states: 

 

The following day, Artie Nelson, one of his longtime bartenders at JJ Bubbles, and also in his 70s, died of the virus as well.

It is possible, of course, that Joe Joyce did not contract the coronavirus on a trip to Spain,

Ding ding.  This!
 

Also, the alleged cause of death is third hand. 

 

I tell ya what though, I hope I’m able to squeeze in one more cruise instead of spending it at work right before my time on Earth comes to an end. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Not sure I understand your choice of title 🤔

 

 

4 hours ago, MADflyer said:

Well, It was not my place to post the title of the NYT article. 


I’m pretty sure she meant the title of your post, which says “No direct connection to sailing...” which doesn’t make sense when the article clearly states there IS a connection to the sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

 


I’m pretty sure she meant the title of your post, which says “No direct connection to sailing...” which doesn’t make sense when the article clearly states there IS a connection to the sailing. 

 

The NYT article implies that was my interpretation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

The NYT article implies that was my interpretation

Same. Also I meant to say he not she but Siri 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, atgood said:

tell ya what though, I hope I’m able to squeeze in one more cruise instead of spending it at work right before my time on Earth comes to an end. 

At the risk of spreading the virus to first line healthcare workers and responders?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

At the risk of spreading the virus to first line healthcare workers and responders?  

No.  I’m talking about after things return to normal. 

Edited by atgood
Edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the first linked article at the start of this thread,

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/18/nyregion/coronavirus-jjbubbles-joe-joyce.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=990166187&imp_id=851791235&action=click&module=trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

 

the reporter failed in reporting just the facts regarding the untimely death of Mr. Joyce.  There’s something else going on.  
 

The reporter was sure to include the following in her article:

 

“On March 1, Joe Joyce and his wife, Jane, set sail for Spain on a cruise, flying first to Florida. His adult children — Kevin, Eddie and Kristen Mider — suggested that the impending doom of the coronavirus made this a bad idea. Joe Joyce was 74, a nonsmoker, healthy; four years after he opened his bar he stopped drinking completely. He didn’t see the problem.

 

“He watched Fox, and believed it was under control,’’ Kristen told me.”

 

This leaves the reader with impression that because of Fox [News], he was ill informed.  The article goes on to give Fox News credit for eventually reversing course on its reporting on Covid-19, but was sure to include “the Joyce’s were long gone by then.”

 

Well. Take a look at the since deleted Tweet (in the photo) by the same reporter on February 27.

 

She also was downplaying Covid-19 right before the Joyce’s left for their cruise.  Hmmm. 
 

RIP Mr. Joyce.

E381AA66-926F-4960-92B3-2D283B084B48.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...