People Still Booking Cruises

tap_out

7 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

My question is why anyone would want to take the risk of tying up money with a cruise line right now.

While most of us can only speculate about the future, I remain cautiously optimistic that the cruise industry, more specifically the major cruise lines, will survive the current situation. A bit bruised, changed, but definitely standing. So I don’t consider it a major risk to have a few cruises booked for 2021-2022.

I like to plan in advance, sometimes more than a year out. Personally, I like to do it that way, not so much to lock in a good rate, but because I usually book specific itineraries on specific dates, and I look for unique and desirable stateroom locations which, needless to say, disappear quickly unless booked way in advance. 

Long story short, I don’t mind “tying up” some money to hold these reservations, but I usually only place a minimum deposit this far out. 

48 minutes ago, Tapi said:

While most of us can only speculate about the future, I remain cautiously optimistic that the cruise industry, more specifically the major cruise lines, will survive the current situation. A bit bruised, changed, but definitely standing. So I don’t consider it a major risk to have a few cruises booked for 2021-2022.

I like to plan in advance, sometimes more than a year out. Personally, I like to do it that way, not so much to lock in a good rate, but because I usually book specific itineraries on specific dates, and I look for unique and desirable stateroom locations which, needless to say, disappear quickly unless booked way in advance. 

Long story short, I don’t mind “tying up” some money to hold these reservations, but I usually only place a minimum deposit this far out. 

This all makes sense

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 10:34 PM, Mrs007 said:

All me crazy, but I recently booked the 4 day out of Long Beach for June 29. It is suppose to be the 1st sailing, so I am hoping it happens. I can’t wait to get back on a ship!  I got a great offer and worst case is I have to use a FCC for a later sailing. If I do cruise in June, that ship will be whistle clean top to bottom and in between!

Hi I am about to book for July what is the cancelation policy now? Thanks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, evankimberly said:

Hi I am about to book for July what is the cancelation policy now? Thanks

I booked for September 2020 out of FL and my thought is that if Carnival cancels, I push my FCC to another cruise along with any OBC. I'm not going to cancel before that. If my cruise happens, I'm on it 😁

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, louanne93 said:

So... When my May Panorama cruise was cancelled I chose the $600 OBC and rebooked for July 11. Curious when they cancel that one will they offer even more OBC??

I have a question I just booked a cruise for July what will happen if the cruise cancels..DO you know the policy or any info OBC

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I booked for September 2020 out of FL and my thought is that if Carnival cancels, I push my FCC to another cruise along with any OBC. I'm not going to cancel before that. If my cruise happens, I'm on it 😁

Thanks.... Is the FCC the total amount you pay for the cruise or is it the deposit any info will help also are they giving OBC for cruises that they are canceling if so how much?

2 minutes ago, evankimberly said:

Thanks.... Is the FCC the total amount you pay for the cruise or is it the deposit any info will help also are they giving OBC for cruises that they are canceling if so how much?

It's the cruisefare portion, not including taxes and fees which are refunded

The obc is $300 up to 5 days and $600 obc 6 days or longer.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

I'm thinking those who talk about losing their deposits as if it's a big deal, arent large stock holders. Unfortunately I am, duh. Losing my deposit, pffft who cares, carnival going under, that would be a huge deal. Ill support cruiselines until they set sail.

Maybe it is a big deal to some people and maybe some people do care about their deposits. Duh!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Maybe it is a big deal to some people and maybe some people do care about their deposits. Duh!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And many people post it's a gamble they are willing to take. If they weren't so many wouldnt keep booking. 

37 minutes ago, okiegirl07 said:

I live in Oklahoma and we are supposed to be “back to normal” on June 1st with all restrictions lifted. 

Unfortunately, okiegirl, cruise ships sail out of seaports most of which are hotbeds of the virus right now. California, however, is fairing pretty well compared to other populous States, but even I'm a little uneasy about an August 15th sail date. I applaud your positive attitude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

Unfortunately, okiegirl, cruise ships sail out of seaports most of which are hotbeds of the virus right now. California, however, is fairing pretty well compared to other populous States, but even I'm a little uneasy about an August 15th sail date. I applaud your positive attitude.

I am definitely aware of where the ports are located. I’m just saying that things are opening up a lot sooner (in several states) than people thought. We will have restaurants re opening their dining rooms this week. I don’t think anyone knows what is going to happen with cruising. It’s all speculation at this point. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, okiegirl07 said:

I am definitely aware of where the ports are located. I’m just saying that things are opening up a lot sooner (in several states) than people thought. We will have restaurants re opening their dining rooms this week. I don’t think anyone knows what is going to happen with cruising. It’s all speculation at this point. 

And we will all wait to see if this goes smoothly, or heaven forbid, leads to a new and bigger outbreak. I'm sure we are all hoping for a smooth transition.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, glrounds said:

In the beginning, I thought California would be one of the worst places for deaths due to the virus.  It seems to actually be doing very well in low positive cases and low death rate.  It's really amazing that a state with nearly 40 million people has less than 1,800 deaths.  Way to go, CA.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 10:03 PM, glrounds said:

Florida and Texas have both begun the process of opening their states, both pretty aggressively. In California you would have no idea we were doing well, they are extending the lock down and the governor got so upset that people went to the beach last weekend he promised to do something about it. Good luck with that, a vast number of the citizens out here are about to reach their limit. 

• Like 3

On 4/27/2020 at 12:18 AM, okiegirl07 said:

I live in Oklahoma and we are supposed to be “back to normal” on June 1st with all restrictions lifted. 

You are a perfect example of one size does not fit all.  The way it will have to be going forward.  

18 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

In the beginning, I thought California would be one of the worst places for deaths due to the virus.  It seems to actually be doing very well in low positive cases and low death rate.  It's really amazing that a state with nearly 40 million people has less than 1,800 deaths.  Way to go, CA.

I quite agree. When the deaths per capita are viewed it's pretty obvious California is doing better than many others. Some examples of Deaths per 100,000 calculated by the CDC a couple days ago:

New York          1450

Washington        175

Iowa !                   161

Florida                 144

California            108 

My only concern with this "back-to-work" idea is maybe doing it too soon. But, it's not my area of expertise so I'll leave that policy decision to the epidemiologist, statisticians, health care workers.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jfaaborg said:

OBC if I sail, and more OBC if they cancel. 

If that is the reason you are booking, strategic to just getting OBC, that will be the reason this program ends, and that will be the reason this program will end.  

Edited by jimbo5544

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

If that is the reason you are booking, strategic to just getting OBC, that will be the reason this program ends, and that will be the reason this program will end.  

No, I even said " I am willing to sail" if it happens. OBC is just the icing on the cake.