Jump to content

People Still Booking Cruises


Recommended Posts

I surfed the internet and some of the cruise websites. In the majority of them the booking has been unavailable but some have already opened booking for summer period. You can also write them a message and they will keep you notified about the nearest tours and cruises. I mean I used to have subscription and get all the latest information. Its very reliable 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tonit964 said:

No cruises showing to book for the Panorama to Mexico from Long Beach until September 5th. This is new from the last time I checked a week or so ago.

 

Yes, I'm afraid that clobbered my Aug 15th PANORAMA cruise. My ex just tried to get a couple of her friends to go with us and showed NONE available, which is either the ships full (doubt that) or it will be a cancelled cruise. If it's cancelled I'm not going to rebook (in spite of the $600 OBC), I'll just get a refund and work on a trip to Europe when we can fly again.

 

Edited by glrounds
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, glrounds said:

 

Yes, I'm afraid that clobbered my Aug 15th PANORAMA cruise. My ex just tried to get a couple of her friends to go with us and showed NONE available, which is either the ships full (doubt that) or it will be a cancelled cruise. If it's cancelled I'm not going to rebook (in spite of the $600 OBC), I'll just get a refund and work on a trip to Europe when we can fly again.

 

Or, like they stated yesterday, they are pulling the bookings to control the inventory because they will be starting at less-than-full capacities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Floriduh said:

Or, like they stated yesterday, they are pulling the bookings to control the inventory because they will be starting at less-than-full capacities.

 

I've read that, Floriduh, and I have serious doubt about its validity. I would rather be cancelled than go through my 34th Carnival cruise under masked, 6-foot social distancing throughout the ship at the buffet line ?, at embarkation ?, at debarkation ? at all ports, reduced showroom capacity, and all the headaches at the bars and MDR, drinking a beer through a straw ? ? ? ? . . . I'll wait for the vaccine, thank you. 🙂

 

Edited by glrounds
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, glrounds said:

 

Yes, I'm afraid that clobbered my Aug 15th PANORAMA cruise. My ex just tried to get a couple of her friends to go with us and showed NONE available, which is either the ships full (doubt that) or it will be a cancelled cruise. If it's cancelled I'm not going to rebook (in spite of the $600 OBC), I'll just get a refund and work on a trip to Europe when we can fly again.

 

I don't think the sailings are full, the first month it shows available to book is September. Maybe it's a glitch.

I really hope you get to sail and if not, hopefully your Europe trip will be a go!

I was supposed to be on the 10/17 Panorama but decided to cancel, not something I can get excited about right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, glrounds said:

 

I've read that, Floriduh, and I have serious doubt about its validity. I would rather be cancelled than go through my 34th Carnival cruise under masked, 6-foot social distancing throughout the ship at the buffet line ?, at embarkation ?, at debarkation ? at all ports, reduced showroom capacity, and all the headaches at the bars and MDR, drinking a beer through a straw ? ? ? ? . . . I'll wait for the vaccine, thank you. 🙂

 

And many of us have to use an airline to get to our cruise. How is that going to work with social distancing? What about those long snaking lines in the airport to give them your luggage? What about the TSA lines? And all of that is before you even get on the plane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And many of us have to use an airline to get to our cruise. How is that going to work with social distancing? What about those long snaking lines in the airport to give them your luggage? What about the TSA lines? And all of that is before you even get on the plane.

All that you describe is open now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

All that you describe is open now.  

My question was how would that work with social distancing. With airports open, how is it working? And let's not forget that air traffic is way down, so even if some of that can work now, what will it look like when travel comes back to normal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, glrounds said:

 

I've read that, Floriduh, and I have serious doubt about its validity. I would rather be cancelled than go through my 34th Carnival cruise under masked, 6-foot social distancing throughout the ship at the buffet line ?, at embarkation ?, at debarkation ? at all ports, reduced showroom capacity, and all the headaches at the bars and MDR, drinking a beer through a straw ? ? ? ? . . . I'll wait for the vaccine, thank you. 🙂

 

And I would go on the cruise without hesitation. I am rarely within 6 feet of most people on a cruise. Like to look for quiet spots or use my balcony. Pizza delivery and room service are fine with me. Only use the MDR a couple of times per cruise as it is. Have never seen a show in the showroom, so that doesn't matter to me. And don't drink alcohol. Bring my own cokes. 

 

To each their own. I will sacrifice a few things to go cruising again. We have cruises booked in Sep, Nov, Jan, April and next Nov.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My question was how would that work with social distancing. With airports open, how is it working? And let's not forget that air traffic is way down, so even if some of that can work now, what will it look like when travel comes back to normal?

I can agree that it will certainly be easier, that said, not sure what normal will be for a while.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Air travel seems like the highest risk for catching the virus.  When someone coughs, there is no escaping it if they are sitting anywhere near you.  Every other place you can walk away from sick people.  I read they are testing UV lights and hopefully someday airline travel will be less risky for catching anything.  We always visit family members who live across the country in the summer, but I can't schedule anything right now because I am not getting on a plane anytime soon.

A cruise is different to me and I feel a lot more comfortable cruising, but I would have to fly to nearly all of the ports. But if they require wearing masks on cruises, I will wait.  I'm not in THAT big of a hurry to cruise.

Edited by TNcruising02
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Air travel seems like the highest risk for catching the virus.  When someone coughs, there is no escaping it if they are sitting anywhere near you.  Every other place you can walk away from sick people.  I read they are testing UV lights and hopefully someday airline travel will be less risky for catching anything.  We always visit family members who live across the country in the summer, but I can't schedule anything right now because I am not getting on a plane anytime soon.

A cruise is different to me and I feel a lot more comfortable cruising, but I would have to fly to nearly all of the ports. But if they require wearing masks on cruises, I will wait.  I'm not in THAT bit of a hurry to cruise.

However, all passenger aircraft are required to have air filtering systems that remove viruses, bacteria, etc.  Cruise ships do not.  And the CDC has said that recirculated air conditioned air carries this virus very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

However, all passenger aircraft are required to have air filtering systems that remove viruses, bacteria, etc.  Cruise ships do not.  And the CDC has said that recirculated air conditioned air carries this virus very well.


I read that a cough can affect people in the next three rows.  I think there was a study done with the SARs virus.  If I am stuck sitting anywhere near someone coughing, I would not feel comfortable.  Then there's the slim chance I would have to use the airplane restroom.  No thanks.  In an airplane, you have zero options.  You can't walk away from sick people.  I've been on 15 cruises and have never gotten sick.  I'm just not worried about cruising.  I always wash my hands any chance I get and I walk away from anyone coughing.

Edited by TNcruising02
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

However, all passenger aircraft are required to have air filtering systems that remove viruses, bacteria, etc.  Cruise ships do not.  And the CDC has said that recirculated air conditioned air carries this virus very well.

Link to the recirculated air post from the CDC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:


I read that a cough can affect people in the next three rows.  I think there was a study done with the SARs virus.  If I am stuck sitting anywhere near someone coughing, I would not feel comfortable.  Then there's the slim chance I would have to use the airplane restroom.  No thanks.  In an airplane, you have zero options.  You can't walk away from sick people.  I've been on 15 cruises and have never gotten sick.  I'm just not worried about cruising.  I always wash my hands any chance I get and I walk away from anyone coughing.

and when you see hand sanitizer, use it! 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GA Dave said:

However, all passenger aircraft are required to have air filtering systems that remove viruses, bacteria, etc.  Cruise ships do not.  And the CDC has said that recirculated air conditioned air carries this virus very well.

Do you have a link? I've heard yes and I've read no it's not true. Both cant be right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Cruise ship AC systems could promote rapid coronavirus spread, prof says"

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2020/Q1/cruise-ship-ac-systems-could-promote-rapid-coronavirus-spread,-prof-says.html (Note: That article is dated February 21, 2020. That article may or may not be valid anymore)

 

"AIR CONDITIONING APPEARS TO SPREAD CORONAVIRUS—BUT OPENING WINDOWS COULD STOP IT, STUDIES SUGGEST"

https://www.newsweek.com/air-conditioners-spread-coronavirus-1497933

 

"The Science of Germs on an Aircraft"

https://healthtalk.unchealthcare.org/the-science-of-germs-on-an-aircraft/

 

"How to stop disease spreading on airplanes and ships"

"While it's clear that planes have accelerated the spread of the virus by transporting infected passengers across continents, the risks of transmission within the cabin are less known."

"Cruise ships in principle look like a building, so their air conditioning systems are similar to those in buildings," says Qingyan Chen. "There's nothing wrong with that in normal circumstances, but with a viral outbreak that's a problem, because the filters they use don't block viruses."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airplane-cruise-hygiene-future/index.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

"Cruise ship AC systems could promote rapid coronavirus spread, prof says"

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2020/Q1/cruise-ship-ac-systems-could-promote-rapid-coronavirus-spread,-prof-says.html (Note: That article is dated February 21, 2020. That article may or may not be valid anymore)

 

"AIR CONDITIONING APPEARS TO SPREAD CORONAVIRUS—BUT OPENING WINDOWS COULD STOP IT, STUDIES SUGGEST"

https://www.newsweek.com/air-conditioners-spread-coronavirus-1497933

 

"The Science of Germs on an Aircraft"

https://healthtalk.unchealthcare.org/the-science-of-germs-on-an-aircraft/

 

"How to stop disease spreading on airplanes and ships"

"While it's clear that planes have accelerated the spread of the virus by transporting infected passengers across continents, the risks of transmission within the cabin are less known."

"Cruise ships in principle look like a building, so their air conditioning systems are similar to those in buildings," says Qingyan Chen. "There's nothing wrong with that in normal circumstances, but with a viral outbreak that's a problem, because the filters they use don't block viruses."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airplane-cruise-hygiene-future/index.html

While the logic seems sounds, I have no idea and the fact they are guessing makes it more problematic.  When I asked the poster for links to CDC data, I expect to see factual with high percentage of probability before I buy it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While the logic seems sounds, I have no idea and the fact they are guessing makes it more problematic.  When I asked the poster for links to CDC data, I expect to see factual with high percentage of probability before I buy it.  

I can't find much to disagree with you. Some of those articles, IMO, are speculation, like you say guessing. I think there is a lot of editorializing.  Which isn't reporting news. They are op-eds(editor opinions), which isn't news. The sad thing is many readers read those op-eds as though it were the truth. :classic_unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I can't find much to disagree with you. Some of those articles, IMO, are speculation, like you say guessing. I think there is a lot of editorializing.  Which isn't reporting news. They are op-eds(editor opinions), which isn't news. The sad thing is many readers read those op-eds as though it were the truth. :classic_unsure:

My DH and I were just discussing this, how news isn't really news. It's difficult to believe anything that is out in the media. Even institutions that shouldn't be biased are swayed politically. I'm so thankful my DH has his work that can be done from home and our bills are paid.  I can't work (I teach exercise classes) and if my family had to rely on my income we would be sunk. I hope there is a big resurgence of monies being spent for discretionary things such as restaurants, vacations, theater so the local industry can recover quickly. Keeping my fingers crossed...🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 6:29 PM, MomtherOfDragons said:


 

I’m pretty happy about those things lol. Maybe people might actually wash their hands after going to the restroom now! 😏

 

don't count on it!   Just this weekend, I saw a guy "washing" his hands by rinsing for about 8 seconds under the water... no soap, nothing.  (and yes, there was soap available!)

 

and another person, actually got some of the foam soap on their hands and then immediately put their hands under the water and started rubbing them together (essentially rinsing the soap right off before any "washing" could actually happen) for a few seconds.

 

even in the midst of this - where everyone everywhere is saying WASH YOUR HANDS!!  There are still people that are just going through a lame attempt of the "motions" of washing their hands...

 

they need to have hand-washing classes!!  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I can't find much to disagree with you. Some of those articles, IMO, are speculation, like you say guessing. I think there is a lot of editorializing.  Which isn't reporting news. They are op-eds(editor opinions), which isn't news. The sad thing is many readers read those op-eds as though it were the truth. :classic_unsure:

Much like the rest of “news” these days.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

My DH and I were just discussing this, how news isn't really news. It's difficult to believe anything that is out in the media. Even institutions that shouldn't be biased are swayed politically. I'm so thankful my DH has his work that can be done from home and our bills are paid.  I can't work (I teach exercise classes) and if my family had to rely on my income we would be sunk. I hope there is a big resurgence of monies being spent for discretionary things such as restaurants, vacations, theater so the local industry can recover quickly. Keeping my fingers crossed...🤞

Pretty sad, chin up on vacations

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Link to the recirculated air post from the CDC?

Air travel: Because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes, most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights. However, there may be a risk of getting COVID-19 on crowded flights if there are other travelers on board with COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-in-the-us.html 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

 

don't count on it!   Just this weekend, I saw a guy "washing" his hands by rinsing for about 8 seconds under the water... no soap, nothing.  (and yes, there was soap available!)

 

and another person, actually got some of the foam soap on their hands and then immediately put their hands under the water and started rubbing them together (essentially rinsing the soap right off before any "washing" could actually happen) for a few seconds.

 

even in the midst of this - where everyone everywhere is saying WASH YOUR HANDS!!  There are still people that are just going through a lame attempt of the "motions" of washing their hands...

 

they need to have hand-washing classes!!  LOL


 

Heathens! Bath and body works is still out of hand sanitizer, so.. At least people appear to be using that 😐

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...