Jump to content

Who you sign an onboard illness waiver?


Recommended Posts

What if the cruise lines made signing a illness waiver that releases the cruise line of any litigation,  if you were to get sick or Quarantined for extended period of time while on board as part of Required cruise documents prior to boarding.  What would you do? would you sign it and sail or cancel for a refund or FCC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you’re suggesting a waiver being introduced for an existing reservation?  Me, I would never sign that (and never book with that line again) and will just get my money back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You mean like the existing over 70 note?

Except a doctor’s signature wouldn’t be necessary on this hypothetical waiver.

 

As an aside.... I’m not over 70 but have followed some of the discussion on other threads; for the life of me, I cannot imagine many doctors signing the declarations I’ve seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Except a doctor’s signature wouldn’t be necessary on this hypothetical waiver.

 

As an aside.... I’m not over 70 but have followed some of the discussion on other threads; for the life of me, I cannot imagine many doctors signing the declarations I’ve seen.

 

I agree that it will be next to impossible to get a doctor to sign that unless you are related to a doctor.  I hope cruising resumes before I reach 70 -- a while away still but doesn't look like it will restart anytime soon.  😢

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreeing to the cruise contract basically states that you have no rights. And if you think you have any rights then you haven't read the contract. So I see no need for any further weavers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The odds of a doctor signing the "over 70" waiver is not good since it is linked to the Corona Virus. Being over 70 along makes us more vulnerable to the virus, not even taking into account any preexisting condition. The fact that the doctor has to "attest" to it makes it more unlikely he/she would sign it. "Attest" is a legal term, isn't it? 

 

I hope this form will go away if there is ever a vaccine. I wanted to take the FCC instead of asking for a refund for our May 17 cruise,  but with that "over 70" form, I could not take the chance of it being in effect in Dec. 2021 with no vaccine available yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of us that were offered an FCC that Royal won't convert to a refund; if they change their terms and conditions and I am no longer willing to accept that's completely unfair. 

 

Hey, I like cruising, but I don't think I'm willing to 100% let go of any claim to negligence just so I can get on a ship.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lifes-a-beach said:

What if they made you sign a document saying if you die on the ship you would be buried at sea?  OMG let’s speculate!

If you thought RCI’s wedding packages were expensive, wait until you see their funeral packages. And don’t forget the 18% gratuity that will be added. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TravelerThom said:

If you thought RCI’s wedding packages were expensive, wait until you see their funeral packages. And don’t forget the 18% gratuity that will be added. 

Your estate may be dinged for a PVSA violation fine too....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waivers don't always hold up in court.  I think people need to take a few steps back and realize until there is an effective treatment and/or a vaccine, cruising may not happen.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KansasK said:

The odds of a doctor signing the "over 70" waiver is not good since it is linked to the Corona Virus. Being over 70 along makes us more vulnerable to the virus, not even taking into account any preexisting condition. The fact that the doctor has to "attest" to it makes it more unlikely he/she would sign it. "Attest" is a legal term, isn't it? 

 

I hope this form will go away if there is ever a vaccine. I wanted to take the FCC instead of asking for a refund for our May 17 cruise,  but with that "over 70" form, I could not take the chance of it being in effect in Dec. 2021 with no vaccine available yet. 

That's what many don't realize... Agree unless there is a Vaccine have feeling the over 70 will be around in some Form until then

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

If you thought RCI’s wedding packages were expensive, wait until you see their funeral packages. And don’t forget the 18% gratuity that will be added. 

And everyone will have to pay for the funeral and photo package in advance but if you survive they will provide you a FFC- Future Funeral Credit, but you can apply for a refund that might take 90 days to process but if you allow them to keep your money they will throw in a song of your choice.  There will be three song lists for you to choose from; Standard (a couple of compositions with just an organ.  Sort of the buffet of music packages),  Special (Jimmy Buffet stuff like Cheeseburger in Paradise), and Premium (pretty much only Sinatra’s My Way but performed by the best showroom singer onboard at the time).  Revenue stream!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

And everyone will have to pay for the funeral and photo package in advance but if you survive they will provide you a FFC- Future Funeral Credit, 

However, if you don't notify RCI of your intent to survive ar least 24 hrs. prior to the end of the cruise you forfeit the right to any FCC. If you survive due to some action by RCI the 24 hr. rule will not apply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...