How is cruising now different from 25 years ago?

23 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Interesting:  to discuss people who seem to like things which are quite different from your preferences — while claiming to know exactly how they think.

22 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Wow, your skill sets are wonderful.  

You have the ability to correctly identify, from a distance, the price point of clothing and jewellery, at the same time, able to correctly  establish the thought processes of the person wearing the items.

One is suitably impressed. 

Some people must be feeling personally attacked here. Like I said, nothing applies to everyone. I am not implying that choosing a certain product means you think a certain way. However, how can you deny that these type of people exist?

As much as you two try to whine about me "not liking someone else's preferences," the point is actually quite the opposite. One of my favorite things about cruising is the amount of options for everyone. I don't care what others like. It's tiring hearing people complain how many things aren't refined enough for them and how amazing theirs choices are.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Some people must be feeling personally attacked here. Like I said, nothing applies to everyone. I am not implying that choosing a certain product means you think a certain way. However, how can you deny that these type of people exist?

As much as you two try to whine about me "not liking someone else's preferences," the point is actually quite the opposite. One of my favorite things about cruising is the amount of options for everyone. I don't care what others like. It's tiring hearing people complain how many things aren't refined enough for them and how amazing theirs choices are.

Sorry, why the hostility? One paid you a compliment on your exceptional skill sets.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It's tiring hearing people complain how many things aren't refined enough for them and how amazing theirs choices are.

I do believe there are some here who think that the way they dress is superior to the way most dress. And honestly if there are a few thousand people on a ship and one or two are dressed ultra-formally, well, who's the odd man out? As I mentioned previously being under-dressed is worse than being over-dressed but neither is desirable. IMO.

13 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Some people must be feeling personally attacked here.

I know what you mean

I'm just amazed some of them can bring their nose down out of the air far enough to see their computer screens and deign to communicate with us dirty, common rabble.

Nose in the air.jpg

13 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Sorry, why the hostility? One paid you a compliment on your exceptional skill sets.

13 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Funny how you rarely hear from the people who do like a bit of formality - they do not seem to sweat things about other people the way some posters obsess about them. 

21 hours ago, clo said:

I do believe there are some here who think that the way they dress is superior to the way most dress. And honestly if there are a few thousand people on a ship and one or two are dressed ultra-formally, well, who's the odd man out? As I mentioned previously being under-dressed is worse than being over-dressed but neither is desirable. IMO.

I agree. It seems the fancy pants crowd misses the era when all cruise lines imposed strict dress requirements on formal nights. They can still cruise Cunard where stewards strictly maintain the standards and passengers can preen and pose in their finery and pretend they are high-class sophisticates. 

I rather have some type of dress code rather than none like most lines, even 20 or 30 years ago most people didn’t wear tux’s on formal maybe 20 percent, now it’s less than 5 on most lines , I stopped wearing tux a couple of years ago, now people dress like there going to Disney or McDonald, we go to really nice restaurants and 95 percent do not wear shorts on even 100 degree days . 

13 minutes ago, George C said:

I rather have some type of dress code rather than none like most lines, even 20 or 30 years ago most people didn’t wear tux’s on formal maybe 20 percent, now it’s less than 5 on most lines , I stopped wearing tux a couple of years ago, now people dress like there going to Disney or McDonald, we go to really nice restaurants and 95 percent do not wear shorts on even 100 degree days . 

Wèlcome to Cunard?

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

I agree. It seems the fancy pants crowd misses the era when all cruise lines imposed strict dress requirements on formal nights. They can still cruise Cunard where stewards strictly maintain the standards and passengers can preen and pose in their finery and pretend they are high-class sophisticates. 

Funny, I do not seem to see many posts from people who prefer tradition speculating how the informal people must be thinking about how liberated and free they are - and therefore better —- generally posing as true egalitarians.

Perhaps they are just happier in their skins and do not need to put down others with different tastes.

7 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Wèlcome to Cunard?

Would love to try Cunard which is one of the few major lines we have not cruised, right now we do music charters adults only cruises on celebrity in suites and msc yacht club which most people dress up at least a little bit. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

But you will need extra suitcases to carry all your formal suits and tuxedos.

The airline baggage allowance is restrictive

1 minute ago, drsel said:

We are lucky enough that we fly first class so luggage is not a issue , not that much room is needed for a tux and dress shirt , if I do not have a tux I would then bring a sports jacket at least . 

I guess most people don't carry tuxedos and full suits because of the weight and space restrictions.

Even if you fly first class, someone has to carry all the weight for you. Its not easy for senior citizens to find porters   everywhere

Edited by drsel
16 minutes ago, drsel said:

When I sail on a ship which requests either a dark suit or a dinner jacket on a couple of evenings, I pack a dark suit - which hardly requires any extra suitcases.

20 minutes ago, drsel said:

On Cunard, if no Tux packed, one can hire a complete set.  Unfortunately, one is unable to book in advance, but Guest Services will be happy to assist when onboard.

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

On Cunard, if no Tux packed, one can hire a complete set.  Unfortunately, one is unable to book in advance, but Guest Services will be happy to assist when onboard.

I remember when the tux rentals were standard on all lines.  Though I'm not much of a tux wearer, it's nice to see this still exists somewhere.  

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I remember when the tux rentals were standard on all lines.  Though I'm not much of a tux wearer, it's nice to see this still exists somewhere.  

I have only worn a tux 2 times in my life and never on a cruise.When I was on a Cunard ship more men wore dark suits than a tux.

Choice.

So much choice- ships, cruise lines, amenities, cabin types, food venues, price points, itineraries, dress code....you name it.  Lots of choice.  Something for everyone.  

Still does not stop people complaining or being so arrogant that they think their cruise line is the best of the best so to speak.  Some think it is 'classy' to have virtually no amenities with a ship as quiet as a graveyard at night, others think it is dead boring.  Pick one and have a great time.  

36 minutes ago, iancal said:

Still does not stop people complaining or being so arrogant that they think their cruise line is the best of the best so to speak.  Some think it is 'classy' to have virtually no amenities with a ship as quiet as a graveyard at night, others think it is dead boring. 

Did you ever see this pic of mine of our cabin on Hurtigruten's 100 pax Lofoten for our Norwegian coastal cruise? Someone here disdainfully compared it to a jail cell 🙂

IMG_6639 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6772 - Edited.jpg

Totally different.  Used to be, no matter WHAT you paid for your cabin, EVERYONE got the same stuff....the same delicious meals in the DR....artfully arranged, and prepared exquisitely....Cruising used to be an elevated experience.  About 12 years ago they really started delineating "classes"....all these "for fee" restaurants, that now serve what the MDR USED to serve included in your fare.  The presentation has suffered greatly.  Cruising is not what it used to be.  It's still a good way to vacation, but it's in NO WAY like it used to be.