Celebrity Cruises - where are our ships?

EnthDegree

10 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

I'm following Celebrity Constellation to see whether she goes into dry dock to be "Revolutionized".  The refit for March was postponed. 

They might even try for getting her out of the fleet and get he sold once cruise market starts to recover.

19 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

They might even try for getting her out of the fleet and get he sold once cruise market starts to recover.

If the market picks up she will be refurbished if not who is going to be in the market to buy?

1 hour ago, york survey said:

If the market picks up she will be refurbished if not who is going to be in the market to buy?

You have cruiselines like Marella or Pullman who have much older ships that they need to replace.

Market will pick up again, however you have as well quite a few Edge Class ships joining the fleet of which it is not clear if and for how long these deliveries can be delayed. Hence it will be easier to reduce costs on th short term and compensate growing demand with new ships to join over the next year. Hence the consequence might be that Constellation and Infnity, both that were not yet "Revolutionized" to be removed from the fleet. With this you save a expensive refurbishment and additional fixed costs and in the longer run you have a more modern fleet once the additional capacity is needed.

14 minutes ago, Captain Rob said:

Is the Infinity off for it's upgrade. Currently in Ponta Delgarda with a destination of FRA  NZR which I assume is  St Nazaire the STX shipyard.

Sadly, upgrade has been cancelled indefinitely due to $$.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, barbette165 said:

Cruise mapper is now showing Infinity’s destination as GIB (UK) - which I assume means Gibraltar, and this seems to be confirmed by the trajectory.

Destination now Fra NZR Just leaving Ponta Delgada

With the latest suspension of cruises pushed to Aug 1, any news or thoughts on where & when the ships will be moving to other locations?  Equinox is scheduled to do the Caribbean/Bahamas in August (assuming the date holds), so will it just stay near the Bahamas like it is now (seems like a long wait)?  Will other ships relocate to an anchorage closer to their first cruise ports or stay put for the foreseeable future?

I'd hate to be a crew member who has to stay on the ship (to keep it operational) with nowhere to go.

I note that Reflection is now on the way to Barbados, presumably due to that government's willingness to have cruise ships anchor nearby and perhaps to shift crew who will be going home via various routes.  Also see articles below.

https://www.porthole.com/barbados-humanitarian-cruise-ships/

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2020-05-20/cruise-ship-crew-members-disembarking-in-san-diego-to-fly-home-to-barbados

image.thumb.png.a11a59239116f6c0721517e3d782fe62.png

On 5/17/2020 at 3:06 PM, FlorenceItaly said:

Sadly, upgrade has been cancelled indefinitely due to $$.

Has X said this for sure?

Just booked on her for next Feb. We were on 1+ year ago and she was in pretty rough shape at that point. 

Edited by D C

11 minutes ago, D C said:

Has X said this for sure?

Just booked on her for next Feb. We were on 1+ year ago and she was in pretty rough shape at that point. 

I do not have firsthand confirmation.   There is some discussion on the following Constellation thread of those who have been told this by Celebrity reps.  I agree, she is in rough shape.  I speculate the Summit will take over the Infinity cruises.  I do not know how soon this would happen and pure speculation on my part.  The Infinity does a lot of charter cruises and if I was paying top dollar like these charters are I would not be happy with the Infinity in its current state, but, that is just me.  We will keep our Mar 2021 booking on the Infinity only because I got an incredible deal. 

3 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I do not have firsthand confirmation.   There is some discussion on the following Constellation thread of those who have been told this by Celebrity reps.  I agree, she is in rough shape.  I speculate the Summit will take over the Infinity cruises.  I do not know how soon this would happen and pure speculation on my part.  The Infinity does a lot of charter cruises and if I was paying top dollar like these charters are I would not be happy with the Infinity in its current state, but, that is just me.  We will keep our Mar 2021 booking on the Infinity only because I got an incredible deal. 

Thanks for the link.   Hard choice to make for X.  Do you skip the refurb and present a shopworn product?  Not good for the brand.   Frankly, I'd be happy if they just did a refub without the whole "revolution" stuff.  Not a fan of the bacon strips over the Sunset Bar and lack of shade.  We spend an inordinate amount of time back there. 

1 hour ago, D C said:

Thanks for the link.   Hard choice to make for X.  Do you skip the refurb and present a shopworn product?  Not good for the brand.   Frankly, I'd be happy if they just did a refub without the whole "revolution" stuff.  Not a fan of the bacon strips over the Sunset Bar and lack of shade.  We spend an inordinate amount of time back there. 

I agree with the need for a Connie refurb. I don’t care about the revolution. If they don’t do at least that, we will cancel. A shabby ship is a deal breaker. Currently booked for Sept 2021.  I look forward to some decisions being made. 

Edited by VitaminSea53
Clarification

Any word on the opening of shipyards in Europe so that refurbishment or revolution can happen?   I know that money is an issue but for Connie, they have already procured the supplies since she was set to “revolt “ in May. Now they need the manpower to do the work....... wishful thinking on my part. 

23 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Any word on the opening of shipyards in Europe so that refurbishment or revolution can happen?   I know that money is an issue but for Connie, they have already procured the supplies since she was set to “revolt “ in May. Now they need the manpower to do the work....... wishful thinking on my part. 

As of May19 the refurbishment on the Constellation and the Infinity have been put on hold. New date have not been decided. The shipyard are open but they  are having manpower problems and parts shortages. 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, colliercruiser said:

I note that Reflection is now on the way to Barbados, presumably due to that government's willingness to have cruise ships anchor nearby and perhaps to shift crew who will be going home via various routes.  Also see articles below.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2020-05-20/cruise-ship-crew-members-disembarking-in-san-diego-to-fly-home-to-barbados

Equinox is also on the way to Barbados where Reflection is now at anchor.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, colliercruiser said:

This is obviously a fluid situation.

We know of at least one Reflection crew member who was transferred to two different ships, plans changed twice, who arrived in Barbados on Freedom.  And who saw her ship sail into Barbados last night. But most importantly, is going home!

4 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Any movement of the ships still in European waters?

Apex is in Saint Nazaire, Conie is anchored just off Greece and Infinity is headed towards Turkey.

Eclipse is just off the Eastern US near San Diego

Edge, Silly and Sumit are anchored in Coco Cay

Reflection and Equinox are anchored just off Bridgetown Barbados

and Solstice has just left the Philipines and is heading towards Singapore

image.thumb.png.32fc20a47b21ffc901dafcd724c8f67e.png

Purple are Celebrity - Yellow Royal Caribean - Light blue Azamara

Edited by groryjm

Doesn't seem like any ships are preparing to restock supplies and bring back crews yet.  Wonder if August 1 is still a go? We're on the Connie out of Tampa in December, so if her Mediterranean cruises start up in late summer/fall, that will be a good sign.  She has Med cruises, then the TA to Caribbean in October 31.