Suggestions RCL needs to do to get people cruising again

1 hour ago, adidas5676 said:

The last time my family of 5 (me, husband, and 3 toddlers) went somewhere was Feb 18 to Disney.  Haven't gone anywhere since, except for groceries or for my husband to pick up paychecks.

Speaking of Allure, how did you like it?  I'm booked for end of November this year (wishful and hopeful by then we'll be able to cruise in relative safety) on Allure and we are still looking forward to it in spite of RCCL's horrendous customer service.  I had originally booked Harmony 15 months in advance to sail April 2020 to celebrate mine and my husband's 3 year wedding anniversary...we haven't cruised since April 2017 when we started having children...this cruise is a long time coming.

I'm starting to adjust my expectations. I was on the Allure TA in March and am booked for the November TA to bring her back. I also have an October Greek Isles booked on the Rhapsody. I'm 95% sure that the Rhapsody will never head to Europe this year, so I am certain that cruise will get cancelled. As for the Allure TA, I am starting to adjust my thinking to the concept that it will not be an option for me, even if it sails. For one, I am 70 and while I'm certain that my doctor would sign a permission slip for a "field trip", my children suffered enough anxiety in the final days I was on the cruise and during the 2-day process for me getting home. I think they'd be pretty upset if I announced I was doing another cruise before a vaccine is developed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

Back to cruising, perhaps they too will have to operate at a loss while playing the long game. I wonder what % full they have to sail where they lose less than letting the anchored ship collect barnacles.

Thx for answering/adding to my posts earlier. Regarding the long game for the cruise lines.... how long? NCL supposedly only has enough money to take them to Oct/Nov, RCL only has until Dec/Jan.They can't afford to operate at a loss, will shorten this time frame.

3 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

The ~60% herd immunity calculation was based off old R0 estimates.  With new estimates, probably will need closer to 85-90+% for herd immunity.

Got it... wow. 85-90%. That's a huge blow regarding "going back to normal" I would think.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Thx for answering/adding to my posts earlier. Regarding the long game for the cruise lines.... how long? NCL supposedly only has enough money to take them to Oct/Nov, RCL only has until Dec/Jan.They can't afford to operate at a loss, will shorten this time frame.

In my mind, operating at a loss is better than operating without income. So I would think their cash would last longer. 

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

In my mind, operating at a loss is better than operating without income. So I would think their cash would last longer. 

99 times out of 100 I'd agree with you... I just don't know in this particular case. 

16 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

99 times out of 100 I'd agree with you... I just don't know in this particular case. 

Here is an article about monthly cost for empty ships

So if they can get an average of $500 pp per week, and around half full adds 3 million for 1500 passengers. Food costs could run about 600K for a month at $100 pp per week. So that could be a 400K loss per month, vs 1 or 2 million per month. But who knows

Edited by John&LaLa

5 hours ago, adidas5676 said:

L.A. fared better than NYC because the governor of California implemented Stay at Home orders in March, FAR ahead of the rest of the country, and that actually did help them slow the spread there

There have been some interesting debate about that. Both California and New York has roughly similar number of Covid cases at the beginning of March. How accurate the numbers are is another debate. But while San Fransisco and it's surrounding counties shut down quickly, followed by the rest of California a few days later, New York waited a few days more after that. Also, many firms in Cali, especially Silicon Valley, ordered their employees to work from home even before the SF lock-down. The results speak for themselves. I think many areas of the country saw and learned from what was happening in both SF, LA and NY and shutdown early enough to keep the curve flat. Lets hope they don't undo the good work by reopening to early.

The other part is density. NYC is the most dense city in the county. While the more modern, spread out cities  on the West Coast are more car-centric, everyone in NYC travels in packed buses, subway, train, Uber, etc.  One of the most early cases was a guy who lived in the northern suburbs and commuted to work by train into Grand Central Station where 750,000 people pass thru each day.  Twice a day for a week or more, he was exposing those 750,000 people. From there, it would travel all over.

• Like 1