Jump to content

Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The facts tell us all we need to know about the odds for 2020 cruising:

 

Royal Caribbean laid off 26 percent of its workers, Hertz just laid off 10,000 in North America, Germany just canceled Oktoberfest 2020;

 

Cruise ships are sailing right now for one reason: To return crews members to their home countries;

 

CCL has publicly predicted "the substantial majority" of its fleet will be in "prolonged ship layup," California communities are already canceling July 4 fireworks, MLB is talking about playing the season in ballparks without fans;

 

No national concert tours are on schedule for 2020, there is no talk of international border restrictions being lifted, and the CDC this week warned of a second - more lethal - round of this virus starting this fall.

 

 

If there is evidence (genuine facts and science, not "optimism" and angry conjecture) to indicate cruise ships will sail again in 2020, let's see it.

 


There are no facts, but then much of the above is a prediction/talk of/warned of. That’s also not a fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the burning question is. Do you want to cruise this year considering everything that’s happened. Do you want to sail in a confined place.

That’s the questions we will ask ourselves if our cruise gets the okay later in the year.



Sent from my iPad using Forums

Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in a supermarket, close to customers and fellow employees. So far, I haven't shown any signs of Covid-19, so I think that I would take a cruise later in year if it were possible. Given that, though, I doubt the ports will be open that soon. I'm booked for next March, and hoping that becomes a reality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ECCruise said:

You know, why not let the countries that are impacted by tourism decide whether or not they want to open to tourists again.

It really doesn't matter what any of us think.  And they make their own decisions on whether or not the loss of tourists is good or bad (and I don't even need to ask in Venice what their thoughts are).

The canals are cleaner!

 

I Am sure a lack of tourism has contributed to this....

 

In health and bon voyage

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ask me, I am still confident that everything will change soon and we will start booking our favourite cruises. The problem is that even if the cruising will be allowed, there will be certain limitations applied to keep not too many people on board, they will make everyone wear masks and buffet will be closed. Sounds like a mhee scenario. Also, I dont expect too many people rushing booking cruises this year. I think the majority of people will book for 21-22 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The facts tell us all we need to know about the odds for 2020 cruising:

 

Royal Caribbean laid off 26 percent of its workers, Hertz just laid off 10,000 in North America, Germany just canceled Oktoberfest 2020;

 

Cruise ships are sailing right now for one reason: To return crews members to their home countries;

 

CCL has publicly predicted "the substantial majority" of its fleet will be in "prolonged ship layup," California communities are already canceling July 4 fireworks, MLB is talking about playing the season in ballparks without fans;

 

No national concert tours are on schedule for 2020, there is no talk of international border restrictions being lifted, and the CDC this week warned of a second - more lethal - round of this virus starting this fall.

 

 

If there is evidence (genuine facts and science, not "optimism" and angry conjecture) to indicate cruise ships will sail again in 2020, let's see it.

 

I think this is it pretty much in a nutshell.  And for someone saying these are not facts, I have no idea what their definition of facts is.  Every one you cite is a fact.  The writing is on the wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The facts tell us all we need to know about the odds for 2020 cruising:

 

Royal Caribbean laid off 26 percent of its workers, Hertz just laid off 10,000 in North America, Germany just canceled Oktoberfest 2020;

 

Cruise ships are sailing right now for one reason: To return crews members to their home countries;

 

CCL has publicly predicted "the substantial majority" of its fleet will be in "prolonged ship layup," California communities are already canceling July 4 fireworks, MLB is talking about playing the season in ballparks without fans;

 

No national concert tours are on schedule for 2020, there is no talk of international border restrictions being lifted, and the CDC this week warned of a second - more lethal - round of this virus starting this fall.

 

 

If there is evidence (genuine facts and science, not "optimism" and angry conjecture) to indicate cruise ships will sail again in 2020, let's see it.

 

Want some more?

 

France and Spain have closed borders to all tourism through the end of 2020. 

 

Italy has closed borders to tourists through 31 March 2021.

 

Next flu season begins in September.

 

Coronavirus is now known to cause blood to coagulate - clotting.

 

Coronavirus and flu together is a significant fear of the US CDC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

I think this is it pretty much in a nutshell.  And for someone saying these are not facts, I have no idea what their definition of facts is.  Every one you cite is a fact.  The writing is on the wall.

No it’s not. “Predicted “and “warned of “are not facts, my definition of the word “Predicted” is it’s a prediction and not a fact.There actually seems to be a level of anger/frustration on here now if you have a different view. The vast  majority of what’s posted regarding when cruising will begin again is opinion, not fact. Of course there are countries in the med that won’t have a tourist/ cruise season this year and everyone is aware of that, their own governments have stated so. This thread is not about what countries ships will sail to it’s whether there will be any cruising. Will there be a second wave in winter ? No one knows. Will the cruise lines go bust ? No one knows. Not one individual on here can state there will be no cruising this year and that’s the truth. Lots of things we know, and lots we don’t.

Edited by yorky
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Hopeful that our December cruise might go but still feel it is doubtful.

As far as a vaccine is concerned, we currently have NO vaccines against any virus. Flu shots yes, that might help lessen ones chances or if they get the flu it might be less severe but no vaccine. The death rate during the usual flu season doesn't seem to bother anyone.

 

Confused by your statement.  Are you saying that there are no vaccines developed and approved (except influenza) against any viral disease?  That is just not correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rimmit said:


I am not sure where the cruise line would stand regarding a Covid vaccine requirement.  However, if it got the ships Moving and allowed them to make money they would do it. 
 

In regards to society there will be a squeeze on people to get the vaccine.   For people that choose to not get it there will likely be higher health insurance premiums, higher travel insurance premiums, no public school, not being allowed to work for certain businesses, higher Medicaid tax, etc.  

I know this is Cruise Critic so folks here are focused on potential cruise line vaccine policies.  But.... First let's see if a highly effective vaccine actually gets developed and when.  Second let's see how many hundreds of millions of doses can be manufactured and distributed worldwide.  And at what cost. Third let's see who gets limited access at least initially like health care workers and the immune compromised people.  Fourth lets see if countries will require vaccinations or other requirements to enter.  Finally and probably much later on, lets see if healthy cruise passengers will  be required to be vaccinated for their own safety, and see which passengers choose to get vaccinated.    Cruise passengers will not be high on the initial priority list to get the limited vaccine available.   This all sounds to me like years and not months.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, yorky said:

No it’s not. “Predicted “and “warned of “are not facts, my definition of the word “Predicted” is it’s a prediction and not a fact.

 

"The CCL has publicly predicted..."--that is a fact.  They did it.  Publicly. 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Want some more?

 

France and Spain have closed borders to all tourism through the end of 2020. 

 

Italy has closed borders to tourists through 31 March 2021.

 

 

 

Not sure this is factually correct , at least at time of writing ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Hopeful that our December cruise might go but still feel it is doubtful.

As far as a vaccine is concerned, we currently have NO vaccines against any virus. Flu shots yes, that might help lessen ones chances or if they get the flu it might be less severe but no vaccine. The death rate during the usual flu season doesn't seem to bother anyone.

 

There are quite a few vaccines out in the world for many viruses.... polio, hepatitis, HPV, pneumonia and a few others... so just not influenza.

 

Are they all effective for all individuals? Of course not.

 

The death rate from the flu really bothers the family and medical teams teams who lose the patient due to it and possibly other conditions. Often times we hear the numbers, but do not think about it as it is like clockwork, repeated every year during a similar time frame with an urging by pharmacies, doctors and other medical interests about getting the flu shot.

 

What bothers me about all of this is, that those who contract influenza or COVID-19 or other contagion, often times these viruses can be contained, were many of us more intelligent and thought forward about doing what is required to do so.

 

Yes, I do fail in that category from time to time, yet the reality is here as I know individuals who have contracted this and are suffering and I will know more people who will contract the flu and will suffer from it.

 

Each of us need to consider doing more individually and collectively, to prevent and contain these types of dis-eases.

 

In health and bon voyage

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I know this is Cruise Critic so folks here are focused on potential cruise line vaccine policies.  But.... First let's see if a highly effective vaccine actually gets developed and when.  Second let's see how many hundreds of millions of doses can be manufactured and distributed worldwide.  And at what cost. Third let's see who gets limited access at least initially like health care workers and the immune compromised people.  Fourth lets see if countries will require vaccinations or other requirements to enter.  Finally and probably much later on, lets see if healthy cruise passengers will  be required to be vaccinated for their own safety, and see which passengers choose to get vaccinated.    Cruise passengers will not be high on the initial priority list to get the limited vaccine available.   This all sounds to me like years and not months.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Valid points....However, can the cruise industry, airlines or anyone in the tourism industry survive that long and wait on an effective vaccine? If the coronavirus mutates as most viruses do, a vaccine will take longer to develop and then will not fully effective much like our current flu shot.

 

It brings up the point....will these countries allow "land" based tours before cruises to generate some revenue? Italy, Spain, and other countries depend heavily on tourism to support their economy.   I know this is a board to support cruising but hotels, restaurants and multiple other venues will feel the effects too.  Countries have to find the right balance for the health and safety of their people and the financial impact too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

There are quite a few vaccines out in the world for many viruses.... polio, hepatitis, HPV, pneumonia and a few others... so just not influenza.

 

Are they all effective for all individuals? Of course not.

 

The death rate from the flu really bothers the family and medical teams teams who lose the patient due to it and possibly other conditions. Often times we hear the numbers, but do not think about it as it is like clockwork, repeated every year during a similar time frame with an urging by pharmacies, doctors and other medical interests about getting the flu shot.

 

What bothers me about all of this is, that those who contract influenza or COVID-19 or other contagion, often times these viruses can be contained, were many of us more intelligent and thought forward about doing what is required to do so.

 

Yes, I do fail in that category from time to time, yet the reality is here as I know individuals who have contracted this and are suffering and I will know more people who will contract the flu and will suffer from it.

 

Each of us need to consider doing more individually and collectively, to prevent and contain these types of dis-eases.

 

In health and bon voyage

 

 

We all get vaccinated in early childhood with MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) which is highly effective and safe.  But the anti-vaccine crowd is out there and refuse to get their kids vaccinated.  Result is emergence of measles on college campuses.  Remember Smallpox and Polio?  Maybe not anymore because these were deadly viruses eliminated by vaccines.  We do have individual rights but I agree with Bo that the other side of the coin is that we have individual responsibility to be vaccinated and protect others around us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

Valid points....However, can the cruise industry, airlines or anyone in the tourism industry survive that long and wait on an effective vaccine? If the coronavirus mutates as most viruses do, a vaccine will take longer to develop and then will not fully effective much like our current flu shot.

 

It brings up the point....will these countries allow "land" based tours before cruises to generate some revenue? Italy, Spain, and other countries depend heavily on tourism to support their economy.   I know this is a board to support cruising but hotels, restaurants and multiple other venues will feel the effects too.  Countries have to find the right balance for the health and safety of their people and the financial impact too. 

I think that is my point actually.  There needs to be another acceptable solution to get cruising and travel moving again.  It will be much too long to wait for a vaccine solution even if it is the best solution.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TeeRick said:

I think that is my point actually.  There needs to be another acceptable solution to get cruising and travel moving again.  It will be much too long to wait for a vaccine solution even if it is the best solution.  

Yes I agree

Link to post
Share on other sites
I think that is my point actually.  There needs to be another acceptable solution to get cruising and travel moving again.  It will be much too long to wait for a vaccine solution even if it is the best solution.  


If there are successful treatments for recovery that might be part of the solution.

The other solutions, social distancing on cruise ships and wearing masks are not enticing.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Argo. said:


I consider that article to be ridiculous.  Most likely the author just looked at the first cruises for each ship after what has been announced as cancelled, but I think it clear that cruise lines are only announcing cancellation a few months out for financial reasons.  I still have some hopes for sailings in late 2020, but realistically it is highly unlikely things will resume even in early 2021.  All just my opinion, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Want some more?

 

France and Spain have closed borders to all tourism through the end of 2020. 

 

Italy has closed borders to tourists through 31 March 2021.

 

Next flu season begins in September.

 

Coronavirus is now known to cause blood to coagulate - clotting.

 

Coronavirus and flu together is a significant fear of the US CDC.

 

Correction:  Coronavirus is now known to cause blood to coagulate - clotting in some patients.

 

And the flu season, according to the CDC, begins in October.

 

If you truly want to be factual, that is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...