We will be getting our insurance money returned

ontheweb

When we booked our cruise which we have since cancelled, I was told by our TA that the insurance would also be totally refundable since we only had a refundable deposit. Since we have never before even considered cancelling a cruise at the time I did not care. When we cancelled the TA also put in for an insurance refund (Travel Guard). I received an e-mail saying it would be considered, give them 15 days (or maybe it was 15 business days) to review. Today is 19 days later, and I received an e-mail saying we will get the credit, though it may take 5-7 days to show up.

The insurance payment was actually more than our cruise deposit due to that deposit was very, very low and we are both senior citizens which affects the insurance charge.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

When we booked our cruise which we have since cancelled, I was told by our TA that the insurance would also be totally refundable since we only had a refundable deposit. Since we have never before even considered cancelling a cruise at the time I did not care. When we cancelled the TA also put in for an insurance refund (Travel Guard). I received an e-mail saying it would be considered, give them 15 days (or maybe it was 15 business days) to review. Today is 19 days later, and I received an e-mail saying we will get the credit, though it may take 5-7 days to show up.

The insurance payment was actually more than our cruise deposit due to that deposit was very, very low and we are both senior citizens which affects the insurance charge.

Good news! (You hope). 

On Feb 24, I cancelled a future flight with Philippine Air. Immediately got a notice that refund had been approved/processed.  Now two months later and no credit posted to the CC. Can only reach the refund dept by email and all you get back is stock "we're busy." Have started CC dispute and contacted local NBC consumer watchdog.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Good news! (You hope). 

On Feb 24, I cancelled a future flight with Philippine Air. Immediately got a notice that refund had been approved/processed.  Now two months later and no credit posted to the CC. Can only reach the refund dept by email and all you get back is stock "we're busy." Have started CC dispute and contacted local NBC consumer watchdog.

I'm not worried; I have more faith in Travel Guard than I would have for Philippine Air.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe it will actually be a credit to our credit card as that was how it was paid.

Cool!

In which case,

let us know when you receive notification of a firm credit to the account?

Our insurance for our 4/4/20 trip, including the Transpacific on the Ruby Princess, with Travel Insured, has already been refunded to our credit card.  We didn't sail, didn't use it, no claims, Princess cancelled all sailings, our FF miles were restored to our accounts.

It takes time because of the huge demand on their systems, but it is working.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, ontheweb said:

Hi ontheweb,

I'm surprised Travel Guard is giving you a cash refund. I haven't seen them do that for at least 8 years for a policy that is past the 15 day free look period.

If you don't mind, will you respond here when you get the refund? I am interested in knowing what Travel Guard did.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi ontheweb,

I'm surprised Travel Guard is giving you a cash refund. I haven't seen them do that for at least 8 years for a policy that is past the 15 day free look period.

If you don't mind, will you respond here when you get the refund? I am interested in knowing what Travel Guard did.

Steve Dasseos

What I have from them is an e-mail that we will be receiving the refund.

We had only a refundable deposit. Our TA said that under NY state law they would refund the premium (which we paid on the entire balance) if we were to cancel.

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

What I have from them is an e-mail that we will be receiving the refund.

We had only a refundable deposit. Our TA said that under NY state law they would refund the premium (which we paid on the entire balance) if we were to cancel.

Would you still post here after you get the refund? If so, it's something I'm going to followup with them about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Would you still post here after you get the refund? If so, it's something I'm going to followup with them about.

What I have now is an e-mail from them dated 4/23. It says my policy is cancelled and I will get the refund in 5-7 business days.

On 4/25/2020 at 6:04 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi ontheweb,

Steve Dasseos

I now have an e-mail from my credit card company stating I will get the refund though it may take up to 10 business days to post. As far as I am concerned I am getting the refund from Travel Guard as I now not only have their e-mail that I am getting it but also an e-mail from the credit card company confirming the fact that I will be getting it.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:11 PM, Aplmac said:

Cool!

In which case,

let us know when you receive notification of a firm credit to the account?

As I wrote in a previous post, I was told I would get the credit. Checking my online credit account just now, I see it was actually posted to the card on 4/27. 

I HAVE THE CREDIT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We live in Australia.  We cancelled our Princess Cruise in August as there will be no International flights before the end of the year.

We had paid the Cruise in full and are awaiting a full refund from Princess.

I thought the Travel Insurance $468 was lost but, decided to send an email.

I asked if a refund was not possible would they give us a credit to use in the next 12 or 18 months.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email saying they would give us 18 months to rebook a cruise and just give them a copy of the cancellation advice and details of the new Cruise dates, when known.

The Insurance was through Australia Post.  

Nice outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, ontheweb said:

HI ontheweb,

Thank you for telling about your ability to get a refund from Travel Guard because you are a NY resident.

I was able to help another NY resident get their refund from Travel Guard today only because of what you wrote.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

HI ontheweb,

Thank you for telling about your ability to get a refund from Travel Guard because you are a NY resident.

I was able to help another NY resident get their refund from Travel Guard today only because of what you wrote.

Steve Dasseos

I am glad that I could help in that situation. If it had not been for my TA (who of course I cannot name in here), I would have not known that I would be entitled to the refund. (At the time, it meant nothing to me since we had no intention of ever cancelling.) Just another reason to use a TA for the unexpected things that they can help out with.

A suggestion, maybe you could get a list of states that might have the same or similar laws to NY. Quite possibly there are others out there who you might be able to help.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I am glad that I could help in that situation. If it had not been for my TA (who of course I cannot name in here), I would have not known that I would be entitled to the refund. (At the time, it meant nothing to me since we had no intention of ever cancelling.) Just another reason to use a TA for the unexpected things that they can help out with.

A suggestion, maybe you could get a list of states that might have the same or similar laws to NY. Quite possibly there are others out there who you might be able to help.

New York is the only state I have found so far, but I'll keep looking. The insurance companies don't volunteer this information.

6 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

New York is the only state I have found so far, but I'll keep looking. The insurance companies don't volunteer this information.

Yes, I can understand their reluctance to share. I knew because my TA told me. If you have a relationship with a TA, possibly they could give you the information.

8 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

One more suggestion---contact state insurance commissioners. They may very well be more cooperative than the insurance companies. Plus they would only need to tell you about their particular state as opposed to asking insurance companies about every states' laws.

• Thanks 1